PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars Released by Pirates

wraggster
March 15th, 2009, 16:11
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61p7Zox2dML._SL500_SS150_.jpg

Nintendo and rockstar are sure to be annoyed when they find out that the biggest game of the year Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001CRM3RI/ref=nosim/nokiangagenew-20) has already been released by pirate groups onto the internet and even though it has protection to stop flash carts playing it, in the last day or so even that has been cracked to allow playback on most flash cards with the patching of an Arm9 file.

Sad to say the pirates have ruined one of the best releases of the year and more significantly will prompt Nintendo to do more to thwart both piracy and sadly for us the Homebrew community.

- Please do not link to piracy/release sites in the comments, DCEmu is against any piracy.

kojiro7
March 15th, 2009, 19:07
Pirates do not ruin.Companies ruin our wallets with their high prices of the videogames.Pirates just want videogames to be for everyone and not only for japanese and rich english boys

RicoCochello
March 15th, 2009, 19:23
Pirates do not ruin.Companies ruin our wallets with their high prices of the videogames.Pirates just want videogames to be for everyone and not only for japanese and rich english boys

I agree, most games that come out for the ds aren't worth £10 let alone £30-£40, and people wil always buy original copies to have the extras (guitar hero controlor, rockstar rucksack etc):D

loungelizard
March 15th, 2009, 20:02
I was thinking about this issue when I was in a games shop, the fact that I don't have a lot of money stops me from buying games, thanks to pirates I can still play them.

The market looses absolutely nothing from me as a customer, as I would never have bought ANY of the games in the first place,.. Piracy makes it possible for people with no money to play, and appreciate games.

The "we loose money" complaint from the industry is a false one as more than 3/4 of the people that have flashcards don't have the means to purchase the real deal..

(If I did have the money I would buy all my games, and people that do have money should).

However, Chinatown wars is one of the games that IS worth saving your loose change to buy, I have a lot of respect for Rockstar's work (except manhunt) and I have no problem putting money into their company.

As soon as It is out in Europe I am going to buy it (even if I can get it for free on a flashcard) as having a real copy actually means something where GTA games are concerned.

El Stefio
March 15th, 2009, 20:19
The whole area of piracy is a bit of a gray one as far as i'm concerned - it is rammed down our throats by everyone that "piracy is theft", but according to the Theft Act 1968 "A person shall be guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.". As far as i can tell there is no deprivation going on apart from possible sales. As loungelizard said, he wouldn't have bought any of the games he pirated, and i'm pretty sure this is the same for most pirates. All statistics relating to the effects of piracy on the market become almost completely meaningless in one fell swoop.

loungelizard
March 15th, 2009, 20:33
All statistics relating to the effects of piracy on the market become almost completely meaningless in one fell swoop.

That is exactly my point, though I am not for people selling pirate things like music and films as that really does hurt the industry and the artists..

Nice comment about the theft.

JushinLiger
March 15th, 2009, 21:09
Well I'm built up of a combination of:
Experiance buying games that look good but are actually very poo. Me being cheated out of cash on the trade in.
Nintendo customer services being very rude to me (MORONS!)

I just feel like I'm getting the bad end of the deal. Naff games for £20-30. I had little intention of buying GTA, this early release just means I downloaded my pirate version a few days early, not that I've played much yet.

loungelizard
March 15th, 2009, 21:18
normally, if you like GTA games, this won't fall into the category of a "naff game"..

I know what you mean by being cheated, there is some real poo on the market, I never understood how they could get away with releasing so much complete garbage to saturate the market.

It confuses the buyers when they look at the shelf full of games, especially parents.. they don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to games (unless gamers themselves) then to add insult to injury the market lets flocks of rubbish reach shop shelves to further disappoint their offspring when they receive 'little fluffties' instead of "sims pets".

Kulawend
March 16th, 2009, 02:13
This game is pretty good!

Flygon
March 16th, 2009, 04:52
For a forum that discourages piracy, you lot make me wonder. O.o

I have not downloaded the game, I am not really interested in GTA. If I was, I would. =P

JushinLiger
March 16th, 2009, 11:59
I agreewith the whole confusion over similar games being released the same time as big commercial games. By no stretch of the imagination does GTA fall into naff games, I won't spoil for those that are buying it but it is definatley worth RRP. It has really set a standard and shown that some developers really aren't trying their hardest.
There is the odd gem that falls through by smaller games developers that no-one notices until someone points out and says "This is actually quite good".

crookedmouth
March 16th, 2009, 12:53
I do think it's funny that many people try to justify their copy-right infringement.

Even in this own thread people have used the "I can't afford games so it's alright to download them" argument.

Why should people who can afford them buy them again?

The argument that so many games are crap, is funny also. Do you think every person who downloads a game and enjoys it runs out and buys the game? Perhaps some do but I think we can agree that many don't.

If I go out to eat and a dish that I thought sounded good tastes horrible, I don't walk out without paying. I talk to people before I go to this restaurant or read reviews.

Someone else even defined "theft" and found it didn't fit exactly with software piracy, well how about defining copy-right infringement?

I'm no innocent here but when I take something and enjoy it without paying, I call it what it is. I don't try to find some loop-hole for my conscience.

Personally, I think the pathetic ease of DS piracy is damaging against the development of very good games also.

As I said I'm not being righteous here, just not "candy coating" my actions.

livnbob
March 16th, 2009, 12:56
hmm...so the people who would've stolen it later are stealing it now, bragging to their friends about how fun the game is. Sounds like an excellent advertising strategy, a cheap way of stimulating the interest of nintendo's law abiding fans while highlighting the scourge of piracy. I have to wonder if this was intentional. After all, my own pirate friends wouldn't have bought the game for months if there was any chance of being able to play it for free. Plus, I'd rather try a game before buying it, and this way I can play it at a friend's house and still buy it the day it comes out if I am so inclined.

kojiro7
March 16th, 2009, 13:54
I do think it's funny that many people try to justify their copy-right infringement.

Even in this own thread people have used the "I can't afford games so it's alright to download them" argument.

The argument that so many games are crap, is funny also. Do you think every person who downloads a game and enjoys it runs out and buys the game? Perhaps some do but I think we can agree that many don't.

If I go out to eat and a dish that I thought sounded good tastes horrible, I don't walk out without paying. I talk to people before I go to this restaurant or read reviews.

Someone else even defined "theft" and found it didn't fit exactly with software piracy, well how about defining copy-right infringement?

I'm no innocent here but when I take something and enjoy it without paying, I call it what it is. I don't try to find some loop-hole for my conscience.

Personally, I think the pathetic ease of DS piracy is damaging against the development of very good games also.

Noone is candy coating its actions.People do not understand that pirates help the companies to expand.Companies calculate the number of original copies they will sell and product them.If their game is good it will sell almost all or all of its copies produced.They sell 1 million or 2 and they are super happy.You wont see a Gta Chinatown copy to the shelves for too long,the people who buy it,will buy it.But people with less money will download it and companies know that well.And so Rockstar will be famous again in China,Mexico,Pakistan and wherever not rich people live....

loungelizard
March 16th, 2009, 14:02

Touché...

Very well put, but consider that if people find the need to justify themselves then it is because they have a conscience and would indeed rather buy the product out right.

The fact that we are still being made to pay between 40 and 50 Euros for Mario Kart which is one of the first releases just goes to show that the industry does not give a flying wotsname about the consumer.

I do feel guilty about d/ling games but when I see the prices in the game shop I suddenly feel better, and slightly proud.

So there you go.

p.s.
Quick after thought: the game is about crime, killing, stealing etc... Would it not be hypocritical for them to mention the fact that it is a crime or theft to pirate this game...???

jaws365
March 16th, 2009, 16:45
Great game!

Lastron
March 16th, 2009, 17:01
Three letters: SAD

I mean people need to make money!

How can they make money when a bunch of 'thieves' steal it first.

Would you walk into the shop and steal the game? No.

People spend months on games in an attempt to make enough money to live happy lives AND to make future games!

Game piracy is no different from film piracy. If you want the game BUY it!

talonreaper
March 16th, 2009, 18:31
I like to compare piracy to reselling--the company isn't going to see a penny either way and would stop it if they could. While it's true that because of piracy, prices may go up a little, but do you guys think that even if Nintendo and all these video game development companies actually got every penny for their works, the prices would reflect it? With all the sleaze in the industry right now, I don't think so.

luminouslight
March 16th, 2009, 19:21
Well, I am not too keen on piracy; however, I do see a general trend to where gaming is going as a result. Here is an example. I had recently bought Empire Total War. Empire Total war is a steam exclusive game. When you buy a game off steam, you don't technically own it, you own the rights to play the game. So wait.... I bought a game and I don't even own it?! That and also Steam has the ability to take away those rights on a mere whim. Now most new games involve some sort online activation every time you start up your game. I think it's just going to get worse starting here on out.

jacksprat1990
March 17th, 2009, 00:30
We're not all lucky enough to have a good job. Some can't get a job at the moment cos this world is s**t. It's not like the developers don't make a living. They probably work less than most people and have fun whilst doing it. And there is the poor people who work there asses off, most likely not having fun and and have to spend their hard earned cash on being able to live. I say let there be pirates. These people deserve something....

crookedmouth
March 17th, 2009, 01:56
Touché...

Very well put, but consider that if people find the need to justify themselves then it is because they have a conscience and would indeed rather buy the product out right.

The fact that we are still being made to pay between 40 and 50 Euros for Mario Kart which is one of the first releases just goes to show that the industry does not give a flying wotsname about the consumer.

I do feel guilty about d/ling games but when I see the prices in the game shop I suddenly feel better, and slightly proud.

So there you go.

p.s.
Quick after thought: the game is about crime, killing, stealing etc... Would it not be hypocritical for them to mention the fact that it is a crime or theft to pirate this game...???

Very good points, I like your after thought. :)

I'm not passing judgment here and I do have a conscience. I worry about independent developers (more in the PC world) mostly but hey, whatever will happen will happen. One things for sure it's not going to stop. Many companies are shooting themselves in the foot, since copy-protection hurts only the legitimate consumer. Oblivion was one of the top-selling games in 2006, with a mere cd check.

I'm also not saying that I know or even believe that sales are damaged by piracy. Seven of the top 20 best-selling console games of all time are DS titles. I'm not talking money but units sold. However I can't help wonder if theres some damage in regard to the more specialized less popular games that are still great.

Noone is candy coating its actions.People do not understand that pirates help the companies to expand.Companies calculate the number of original copies they will sell and product them.If their game is good it will sell almost all or all of its copies produced.They sell 1 million or 2 and they are super happy.You wont see a Gta Chinatown copy to the shelves for too long,the people who buy it,will buy it.But people with less money will download it and companies know that well.And so Rockstar will be famous again in China,Mexico,Pakistan and wherever not rich people live....
Don't get upset, I'm having a little fun...

I should have know we were falling into their evil trap!

Wouldn't they be pissed I decided not to pirate their game?

Your right though, no one knows about Chinatown Wars, it isn't plastered on every games magazine cover.

They must have leaked their game intentionally to get free advertising!

Forget that it's an exclusive GTA DS game where you can sell drugs.

"Our games going to sell like crap! Quick, upload it to a server so people can download our game for free!"

"Phew that was close, we almost missed our chance to expand!"

loungelizard
March 17th, 2009, 16:26
They must have leaked their game intentionally to get free advertising!

"Our games going to sell like crap! Quick, upload it to a server so people can download our game for free!"

"Phew that was close, we almost missed our chance to expand!"

lol..

I think it is just some bloke that works in a games shop, when they got the new stock (obviously before the release date), he just took one home, dumped the rom and uploaded it to the net..

I say thanks bloke.

Demonic_Cr0w
March 18th, 2009, 02:07
I think piracy helped this one a bit. People are going to download this game, see how amazing it is, and tell their friends how amazing it is and that they need to buy it... Now...

I know from personal experience.

If I had the money, I'd buy 2 copies of this game. (For multiplayer purposes of course. I'm not insane.)

LinkofAuburn
March 22nd, 2009, 07:41
I rarely post but theironic thing is, now im going to go look for the dl xD thanks dcemu! :3

The Alpha Gamer
March 22nd, 2009, 11:45
I think people might stop pirating and buy games more if the games they were paying £30 for actualy took more than 3 days to complete. This game, as almost every other game these days, was way too short

Lodis
April 4th, 2009, 23:00
I know some one that downloaded this game and played it on some kind of flash cart thing. They enjoyed it so much that they went out and purchased a copy.

I asked them about this and they said they support good games even if they download them.