PDA

View Full Version : Need clarification on installing CFW

Blau
March 20th, 2009, 11:54
Hey all. Apologies in advance for any questions that may have been answered elsewhere, but I need serious clarification on how to install cfw on my PSP!

My psp is a 1002 model, and as far as I have read all 1000 models are hackable. All the guides I have read (and I have read ALOT of them so far) have said to get different versions of different cfw's, but as far as I can tell the latest is firmware 5.03 by the m33 guys.

My current firmware is official psp v3.71. Onto the questions now.

1. Do i need to have a certain firmware version to be able to install a cfw? (I bought God of War and it tells me to update to 3.80, I am apprehensive to do this incase I am unable to install cfw).

2. I wish to convert my old PS1 games to a format for use on my psp. I read a guide on how to do it somewhere on this forum, but it was for v1.5 firmware. Is there a different method for different firmware versions?

3. I read that I need a second phat psp battery (a pandoras box they are called?) already modified to perform the cfw installation, where can I get one of these? Is anyone able to send one to me?

4. Once installed, are PS1 games run from the psp menu like umd games?

PSPdemon
March 20th, 2009, 13:08
1. Do i need to have a certain firmware version to be able to install a cfw? (I bought God of War and it tells me to update to 3.80, I am apprehensive to do this incase I am unable to install cfw).

no... your over any means of being able to downgrade, however you need to use pandora to cfw your psp. ( $7 for the pandora battery from dealextreme and use a ms under 4gb's for the MMS )

2. I wish to convert my old PS1 games to a format for use on my psp. I read a guide on how to do it somewhere on this forum, but it was for v1.5 firmware. Is there a different method for different firmware versions?

PS1 ( pops ) wasnt put into effect until later in the psp life ( 3.xx )

as for different firmware versions yes there are different pops versions for each different firmware.... but thats why we have pops loader so if a version was compatible with another game we could use that pops instead of the installed one.

3. I read that I need a second phat psp battery (a pandoras box they are called?) already modified to perform the cfw installation, where can I get one of these? Is anyone able to send one to me?

again.... dealextreme for $7

4. Once installed, are PS1 games run from the psp menu like umd games?
they are loaded under the game menu, youll have to convert them so that they can be read under there ( use a ps1->psp converter program )

hope that helps

Blau
March 20th, 2009, 14:00
Thank you for answering those questions. I do have one more that will clear things up for me a bit further -

What is the best version for me to update my firmware to if I were to get a custom firmware? Am I only able to update to a certain one? Should I just get the latest version? If so, what version is that?

That was a few questions, but you get what I mean :)

PSPdemon
March 20th, 2009, 16:55
yes you should update to the latest... 5.00 M33-6... luckily DC-8 installs 5.00 M33-4 from which you can update to -6 easily ( net update )

Blau
March 21st, 2009, 04:07
So is DC-8 a type of battery or do you put it on your mms?

PSPdemon
March 21st, 2009, 17:06
its for the MMS, dont know if auto installers will install dc-8 but im sure there are some that atleast install 5.00 M33 :)

Blau
March 24th, 2009, 01:13
Ok thank you once again, I found the m33program with dc8 and I ordered a pandora battery and a stick to use as an mms from deal extreme. Great price too :D

Hope it all goes smoothly!