PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Empire at War storms retail

wraggster
February 17th, 2006, 01:31
Real-time strategy game based on the universe of George Lucas' sci-fi flicks strikes PCs; release already met with problem-solving patch.
The throngs of sci-fi geeks seen leaving their domiciles can mean only one thing--something Star Wars-related is going down. There's still plenty of popcorn and Milk Duds left at the local Cineplex, since the latest project based on George Lucas' popular films isn't a movie; it's Star Wars: Empire at War, a PC game that hit stores today.

Set a few years before Episode IV: A New Hope (or just plain Star Wars for those who have lost track), Empire at War is a real-time strategy game that lets gamers play as either the Rebel Alliance or the Empire. Fans will be able to explore not only familiar environments such as Hoth, Tatooine, and Dagobah, but also new environments mentioned in the films and the novels of the Expanded Universe.

The single-player game challenges users to command armies on land and in space. Memorable characters, such as Chewbacca, Darth Vader, and Obi-Wan Kenobi, are playable and have special skill sets that differentiate them from other units. Several vehicles from the films, including AT-ATs, speeder bikes, and star destroyers, are also at the whim of gamers. Skirmish modes that support up to eight players and a two-player Galactic Conquest mode round out the game's features.

Jdemon
February 17th, 2006, 02:19
:D Well I just took a break from checking this out. And I just have to say I'm a very happy Star Wars gamer/fan. For thoes of you who aren't sure if you want to sink the $50/$60 on this one before you know what you're getting into I'm sure you can still find the Demo online. And if you go to the lucasarts forums you can also find Mods for it....that's right mods for a game demo. Well, we are talking Star Wars here. The higher price "collector's edition" contains a Bonus Disc which has:
2 Screensavers (lame)
4 PC Backgrounds (big deal)
Production Art (again, big deal)
Extra Bonus Maps -
Polus (land/space)
Ryloth (land/space)
Kuat (space)

It also has a very nice "quick-reference" chart but that may also be included in the standard version too, I don't know.

Rebel Heros:
Mon Mothma
R2-D2 & C3P0
Red Squadron (Luke)
Captain Antilles
Kyle Katarn
Han & Chewie
Ackber
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Imperial Heros:
Grand Moff Tarkin
Darth Vader
Captain Piett
Colonel Veers
Boba Fett
Mara Jade
The Emperor

The only things I'm disappointed about are very minor Star Wars-Geek type grievances. Generally from what I've played so far I predict I am going to be quite happy with this game for quite a long time.

My SW Geek Rant on this game (content related)

1) Kyle Katarn: WTF....I'm sooooo sick of seeing this character in Star Wars video games. Just because he was the main character of Dark Forces (and related sequels) doesn't mean they have to throw him in to every damn game they make. There are TONS of other characters that are available that would be better "heros" of this era of Star Wars which brings me to...
2) Wedge Antilles: Where the hell is he? Huh? Hellllloooo Rogue Leader....can you read me? And while I'm talking about SW millitary officers how about...
3) Baron Fel: So what if the general public has no idea who he is they don't know who Captain Piett or Colonel Veers is either and they're in the game. But if you added Baron Fel you need...
4) Tie Interceptors: Which are also missing and...
5) B-Wings: :mad:

Hopefully all of my woes will be answered sometime in the near future as an upgrade/expansion/mod :D

MTFBWY

AtariFreek
February 17th, 2006, 05:34
Are You Kidding?? No Tie Interceptors, Oh My God! What Is The Star Wars World Coming To. When Will They Learn That When They Cut Out Stuff, Us Nerds Turn To *gasp* STAR TREK For Comfort?

wraggster
February 20th, 2006, 17:41
The Demo i played was awesome, i did get a little confused at how to do certain things but im well looking forward to playing the game :)

RunningWild
March 12th, 2006, 12:23
Im quite into Star Wars myself, but was definately unimpressed by this title. Seems like Petroglyph attempted to roll Force Commander and Rebellion into one with mixed results. The graphics engine itself seems a little basic for today's standards and the ground battles are more of a chore to perform than anything else.

I still prefer Galactic Battlegrounds for my Star Wars RTS fix. It feels like there is simply too much missing from EaW to make it a game you come back to for more.