PDA

View Full Version : [Fun] Virtual Jaguar port

PLynx
February 17th, 2006, 12:10
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/avp1.jpg

I've tried, just for fun, to port Virtual Jaguar (http://www.icculus.org/virtualjaguar/) to the PSP.

Put the Jaguar BIOS image (jagboot.rom) in the same directory as the EBOOT.
Rename the cartridge image to cf.jag and put it in the same directory.

I've tried Cannon Fodder and Atari Karts ... and ... it's pretty slow, be patient :)

See Virtual Jaguar website for compatibility stats. (DSP is not enabled)

Keys :
A - Square
B - Triangle
C - Circle
Pause - Start
Option - Select

Screenshots and Download via comments

ultros
February 17th, 2006, 12:49
wow, now thats a surprise.

actually, i never had a jaguar (don't know why, i always loved the atari products...).
do you think, it will ever be playable, or is it just a project for fun?
and do you have access to the PSP 3D cpu, or is everything emulated by software?

odf
February 17th, 2006, 14:36
Coool :) this rocks!!

PLYNX is the man :)

Tempest rules!!!!
Will try it out when I get home.

crossfadeking
February 17th, 2006, 15:36
does it work on 2.6????

ukkevinl
February 17th, 2006, 15:47
I've tried, just for fun, to port Virtual Jaguar (http://www.icculus.org/virtualjaguar/) to the PSP.

You can find the PSP 1.0 EBOOT <A HREF="http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87345#post87345">here</A>
Put the Jaguar BIOS image (jagboot.rom) in the same directory as the EBOOT.
Rename the cartridge image to cf.jag and put it in the same directory.

I've tried Cannon Fodder and Atari Karts ... and ... it's pretty slow, be patient :)

See Virtual Jaguar website for compatibility stats. (DSP is not enabled)

Keys :
A - Square
B - Triangle
C - Circle
Pause - Start
Option - Select

Works on 2.0! Slow Cannon Fodder as you say but it still works!

great work!

cheers

Kevin

wraggster
February 17th, 2006, 16:03
anyone post a screenshot or a few of it running games :)

wraggster
February 17th, 2006, 20:04
is it running at 333mhz ?

PLynx
February 17th, 2006, 20:56
do you think, it will ever be playable, or is it just a project for fun?
and do you have access to the PSP 3D cpu, or is everything emulated by software?
It's just for fun, and I don't think that a simple port of virtual jaguar will be playable on PSP, maybe with more work. Yes everything is emulated by software.
Yes it's already running at 333MHz.

wraggster
February 17th, 2006, 21:11
added some screens (Thanks to Mike Haggar )and got a nice screen for the newspost on your site :)

crossfadeking
February 17th, 2006, 21:26
i got it to sort of load on 2.6!!!
it comes up with a message saying "allowcating 'such and such' bytes for jaguar"

excuse the spelling!!
any ideas???
where do you get the jaguar bios from?

crossfadeking
February 17th, 2006, 21:30
"Allocating 4194304 bytes of memory for <Jaguar 68K CPU RAM>...OK
Memory: Allocating 6291456 bytes of memory for <Jaguar 68K CPU ROM>...Failed!
Free : 4.10 MB"

this is what it says exactly!

odino
February 17th, 2006, 22:52
Rayman work fine, slow but it's nice.

slayer2psp
February 17th, 2006, 23:34
"Allocating 4194304 bytes of memory for <Jaguar 68K CPU RAM>...OK
Memory: Allocating 6291456 bytes of memory for <Jaguar 68K CPU ROM>...Failed!
Free : 4.10 MB"

this is what it says exactly!
thats what i get when i use the gta loader on a 2.5
but i got it to load on my 1.5 with no problem

moogster66
February 18th, 2006, 01:59
Nice work Plynx! AVP was the BOMB back in the day! You say it's for fun, but you have us all droolin' with anticipation! It looks great, and of course it is slow. But will it ever be playable? Will donations help, or is it hopeless? Thanks again for the great work. Keep it up man!

slayer2psp
February 18th, 2006, 02:16
Coool :) this rocks!!

PLYNX is the man :)

Tempest rules!!!!
Will try it out when I get home.
tempest doesnt work yet nothing really works yet but its a great start cant wait for the updates

Voltron
February 18th, 2006, 05:06
I sure hope this project continues. I basically consider the PSP a device with the means to preserve a lot of video game history on one convenient device. A Jaguar EMU would add to that history and be a great addition to PSP homebrew.

JamesBondOO7
February 18th, 2006, 05:46
anyone know why that error is coming on to 2.6

jwilds73
February 18th, 2006, 15:58

If I understand Plynx right this is just a quick and dirty port of an existing emulator for the PC. Nothing has been recoded to take advantage of the PSP's hardware or to work with the limitations of the 2.01 and higher OS's. The source code was just tossed together with the PSP Dev Kit.

PLynx
February 18th, 2006, 16:59
If I understand Plynx right this is just a quick and dirty port of an existing emulator for the PC. Nothing has been recoded to take advantage of the PSP's hardware or to work with the limitations of the 2.01 and higher OS's. The source code was just tossed together with the PSP Dev Kit.

You've got it :)

I don't know a lot about eLoader, but just there is not enough free memory to initialize Virtual Jaguar.

nicoq172
February 19th, 2006, 21:35
WHERE ARE THE Jaguar BIOS????

odf
February 20th, 2006, 08:29
nicoq172

WHERE ARE THE Jaguar BIOS????

NOT HERE!!
Asking for the BIOS is like asking for ROMS.
Try your good friend Google.

HardHat
March 3rd, 2006, 15:41
Hey PLynx,

Good work. It works great with the Zool 2 rom I tried. Now if only SDL was graphics accellerated maybe we could jump from 2 frames/second to 4 frames per second. :-)

HardHat

bazely2354
March 21st, 2006, 19:31
coooooooooooooooooooolllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

darren0405
March 27th, 2006, 23:39
coooooooooooooooooooolllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
come on guys someone must be able to port this classic over to the fine and powerful psp

would it be that hard???
now theres a challenge :cool:

michael chan
April 17th, 2006, 16:00
any updates? r u still working on this emu?

PLynx
April 18th, 2006, 21:13
Now if only SDL was graphics accellerated maybe we could jump from 2 frames/second to 4 frames per second. :-)

I've already removed all SDL from the emu :)

any updates? r u still working on this emu?

Aww Sorry, I don't have time for me now, I didn't switched on my PSP for 1 month :( :(

oninotsume
April 26th, 2006, 06:42
PLynx,

I really enjoy playing the Lynx emulator you made, and I'm looking forward to some more progress on this one.

What are your prospects of it ever running at a decent speed?

Cooe14
May 13th, 2006, 20:08
PLynx please don't let this die I have been looking forward to this for a long time.

V3N0M
June 9th, 2006, 06:24
Maby someone else can pick up where he left off?

alexboche
June 13th, 2006, 00:32
I just got it to work for 2.0 using the fanjita 0.9 eboot loader. I THOUGHT it wasn't working because it was loading so slowly that the screen stayed black for quite a while. VERY SLOW with alien vs. predator, but at least it works! Hopefully in later versions the speed will be more normalish.

SSaxdude
June 13th, 2006, 01:35
Jaguar emulation would require a lot of work, so it would only be possible if someone who was a master at coding did this project.

mutantllama
June 14th, 2006, 12:24
I know its a long shot, but would it be possible to add emulation of the CD-ROM add on, to access Jeff Minters VLM (Virtual Light Machine), and add 'flashy' graphics to MP3 files on the memory stick? Crazy idea, but just a thought.....:D

Screwie5150
July 31st, 2006, 10:01
this port is dead... I wish ther was someon e out ther able to port this better... more speed...

Broonale
September 7th, 2006, 04:42
I think the ability to tweak the cinfig file would help.

well, maybe a little.

I'd love to see a Jaggy Emu for PSP!

kando
September 7th, 2006, 06:03
the ORIGINAL version for the pc even runs horrible, so dont expect much all....though nice idea, its original indeed =)

kando
September 11th, 2006, 05:11
I know its a long shot, but would it be possible to add emulation of the CD-ROM add on, to access Jeff Minters VLM (Virtual Light Machine), and add 'flashy' graphics to MP3 files on the memory stick? Crazy idea, but just a thought.....:D

this is simply a port of the best existing jaguar emulator out there....of which is pretty poor as far as other emulators/systems stand.....plynx didnt emulate jaguar, tho he did port the code over to psp language. thus, emulation improvements are not very likely, at least on this end.

however, i was browsing their forums, and the coders say they are still alive, and are still working on rewriting some code :)

thewizard
September 28th, 2006, 20:03
this is nice thanks :)

throughsilver
December 4th, 2006, 13:50
Sorry, I'm a tad late to the party. I have downloaded the emulator, some games and also the BIOS, but it's not working for me.

I go to start up the emu as I would any other, and a black screen with white writing flashes up, the screen goes blank and nothing happens. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong (like, BIOS in the wrong part of my folder etc.)?

Thanks for any help. I'm dying for a decent Jag emu, as I actually bought the Tempest 2000 cart and am yet to buy a Jag to go with it. Silly, I know, but those things get so pricey!

[edit] OK, Cannon Fodder is now running, sort of. Even in early stages of development, it is heartening to see these little technological marvels!

Lachoneus
May 19th, 2007, 06:13
Just wondering if anyone is working on the Jaguar emulator or writing new code for one. Its something I and others had looked forward to have on their PSP's.

daniell528
July 20th, 2007, 01:04
PLynx, Can you make the source code for your port available so that others may try to improve the performance?

NSCXP2005
November 22nd, 2007, 07:24
does anybody know if this will be continued or made better soon

b2dub2
March 14th, 2009, 16:29
Plynx , if you read this PLEASE port the newer version of virtual jag, PLEASE. Anyone else who may be able to, please?! I would try but when im done psp 4 would be out so.......