PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 in the pipeline?

wraggster
February 17th, 2006, 17:30
Source - PSPfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/02/16/psp2-in-the-pipeline/)

<blockquote>We recently came upon some news that may point to the possibility that Sony is considering using large-capacity memory for what could be the second version of the PlayStation Portable. According to the Korean online publication Chosunilbo, Samsung admitted that they will not be capable of filling a large order of NAND chips for Sony, which we presume was a statement borne out of a request made by the Japanese game company. While this merely hints that planning has already begun for the PSP2, the more interesting bit of news is that Samsung, when pressed with the question regarding if the order was placed specifically for the PSP2, declined to comment. In an industry when what’s not said is nearly as important as what is, that statement could lean towards affirmative territory.

Another report on the site throws a little more fuel on the fire by suggesting that Sony may take a different approach to its storage woes. Instead of the more expensive flash chips, Sony may consider resorting to hard disk drives for storage. This move would significantly drive manufacturing costs down which, assuming they also decide to quit this whole UMD and Memory Stick nonsense, would mean that Sony finally gets to turn a profit from their foray into the portable biz.

I’m feeling ambivalent about this rumor. I can’t help but feel slightly cheated that they’re already thinking about making an upgraded version of the PSP without even having given the current version its due by presenting us with better games and cheaper prices on UMDs. And while I’m led to think that putting out the PSP2 could be Sony’s try at recouping their losses from weak media sales, I think current PSP owners are justified if they asked the question, “Where’s the love, Sony?”</blockquote>

blackthief
February 17th, 2006, 18:03
on the one side its a ery very cool news. most interesting is, that sony dont use umd more and now sticks like nintendo. but on the other side i think that sony is very stupid to create a new psp that fast; i have bought very much for my psp like memory stick 2gb, 3 games, psp itselfs and something like logitech case. so i loste much money for sony and now this.... ok, perhaps i will sel my psp and the games, but i can not decide.
OH SONY, WHAT YOU DID???? *iam german, my english isnt good ^^

Nono-O
February 17th, 2006, 18:21
i found this is a fake! :-(

swepisodeii
February 17th, 2006, 18:29
I'm sure that Sony has the PSP2 ready to go (just like Apple has the next gen iPod waiting and ready to go), though I bet it still uses UMDs and Memory Sticks.

They'd be stupid to abandon the UMD, a format that has a lot of potential. Current games don't use anywhere near the format capacity.

Now... I COULD see them coming out with a dedicated movie player that uses UMDs as a way to sell more UMDs. Maybe a cobo hard drive/UMD player that plays movies but not games.

Regardless, you think the PSP2 will be as easy to crack for homebrew as the PSP1? I'm sure it will be possible, but Sony learned quite a bit this round and I imagine that even if the PSP1 were discontinued today it would still hold value as an emulator/homebrew powerhouse for years to come.

The big but here - if the PSP2 (when it is released) is cracked, I bet it will play PS1 and N64 games without breaking a sweat.

jedikd
February 17th, 2006, 18:49
actually i think its more likely that the PSP2 (although i'm sure it would be called something else) would be identitcal to the current one except for a hard drive and maybe a second analog stick. I'm sure that current UMD movies/games would still play on the new psp and that all future game releases would still work on the current model. Similar to what Nintendo is doing w/ the DS Lite. This way new people are attracted to the PSP but current owners aren't forced to upgrade (unless they really want the storage capacity)
I find it unlikely they would add a faster processor/more memory yet

jwilds73
February 17th, 2006, 19:22
Give me the following and I will upgrade

1. PDA functionality (ie: touch screen, stylus, docking charger/hotsync and pda type software built in)

2. Cell Phone

3. GPS

4. Hard Drive

5. Blue Tooth

I recently got the PPC 6700 phone and I love it. I just really want something that branches all the mediums and gives me all I want in one gadget. I guess the closest thing was the Ngage but it bombed.

bonzai10
February 17th, 2006, 21:27
It is possile Sony will release new PSP. It will use UMD and MSd like PSP1 also they will put more memory and processor. But why would sony release PSP2 so quickly, PSP1 haven't developed enough, and they would have more work working on PSP1 firmware and PSP2 firmware as well, unless firmware will be the same but i doubt that

Eleetist
February 17th, 2006, 22:04
Give me the following and I will upgrade

1. PDA functionality (ie: touch screen, stylus, docking charger/hotsync and pda type software built in)

2. Cell Phone

3. GPS

4. Hard Drive

5. Blue Tooth

I recently got the PPC 6700 phone and I love it. I just really want something that branches all the mediums and gives me all I want in one gadget. I guess the closest thing was the Ngage but it bombed.

Dude I couldn't agree with you more. Actually, the closest thing to that waas the Tapwave Zodiac, only no phone, no wifi and no gps, but an SDIO so aome of these could be remdied. I have an N-gage right now, I actually wish that someone would make an n-gage simulator on the PSP, now that would rock, but the Tapwave was even more awesome.

Qmark
February 17th, 2006, 22:08
Hmm... If it's PSP1 compatable, and awesome games finally appear, I'd consider playing nice with a PSP2 and leaving my PSP at 1.5 forever.

That is, as long it doesn't cost $500 or something stupid. The $250 for the PSP itself was pretty much insane.

MaxSMoke
February 17th, 2006, 22:15
What they're talking about isn't a PSP2. It's not a completely different PSP. They are just considering making a PSP with more internal memory! Or any internal memory.

Remember, the PSP has no internal storage memory of it's own, but instead relies entirely on the Memory Stick for storing data. It's not out of the question for them to pack in 1, 2, or even 4 GB's of Flash memory with no change to the outside appearance at all. They could even keep the memory card slot for further expansion. The extra memory would appear as just another extra drive on both the PC and the PSP. But the PSP would still remain the same.

So don't freak out here! Even if they do release this new form of the PSP, it will only be PSP v1.01, it won't be an entirely new PSP. It'll use the same UMD Movies, the same UMD Games, and do all of the same stuff you've come to expect from the PSP. It, most likely, won't look any different either. And if you don't want to upgrade, it won't be a big deal. You won't be loosing anything but extra storage.

Even if you do upgrade, they'll probably keep the same form factor and use all of the same accessories. I seriously doubt you'll lose anything by upgrading, or not upgrading. So just chill. It's all Good.

swepisodeii
February 17th, 2006, 23:21
But Max you probably COULD lose something by upgrading to a new PSP revision - homebrew and emulators.

At least for a while...

Chackan
February 18th, 2006, 01:55
I hope they only make a ... well a psp with a diferent design, just like the psone or the pstwo. Anyone, i think thats a fake!

Festizzio
February 18th, 2006, 05:42
Wow, hey, if Sony makes a PSP2, maybe they'll give us full access to homebrew on their first PSP...the possibilities!

Nige
February 20th, 2006, 02:52
Remember, the PSP has no internal storage memory of it's own, but instead relies entirely on the Memory Stick for storing data. It's not out of the question for them to pack in 1, 2, or even 4 GB's of Flash memory with no change to the outside appearance at all. They could even keep the memory card slot for further expansion. The extra memory would appear as just another extra drive on both the PC and the PSP. But the PSP would still remain the same.

1. The PSP has internal memory. Otherwise how would anything run?
2. A Memory Stick *is* flash memory. You expand the storage space by buying a bigger stick. There's no reason for Sony to 'build in' flash storage space - they can make more money by getting people to buy Memory Sticks.

Memory Sticks aren't that expensive any more, anyway.