PDA

View Full Version : The Man behind The Monkey

PSmonkey
February 17th, 2006, 18:31
Is that a banana or are you just happy to see me?? ;)

http://pspemulation.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=103&Itemid=25

Psp Emulation recently interviewed me. So if you're currious to find out a little more about me. Go read up. :D

Sumo X
February 17th, 2006, 19:48
Great interview. Do you have any college level training for programing (you mentioned high school, but nothing else)?

Also, just based off your interview, you said you hope to have N64 games 16mb or less working at playable speeds. Can you explain why they have to be 16mb or less (essentially, what difference does it make as to how large the game is)?

odino
February 17th, 2006, 21:11
Wow, you are a new super star!!! :D :rolleyes:

But the virtual ram is possible on the psp? Can you compress the rom gfx in ram with the S3TC (http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=22852) ?

Thanks for your free times, bye ;)

middlemaniac
February 17th, 2006, 21:41
WOW! In the interview I read that you could probably get Mario 64 working almost perfect with a fps of 30!!! You're the coolest person ever! Keep up the good work!

PSmonkey
February 17th, 2006, 21:41
Great interview. Do you have any college level training for programing (you mentioned high school, but nothing else)?

Also, just based off your interview, you said you hope to have N64 games 16mb or less working at playable speeds. Can you explain why they have to be 16mb or less (essentially, what difference does it make as to how large the game is)?

Nope no college. I am a complet self taught coder. :)

Also the reason for 16MB is due to memory limitations (psp only gives me 24MB of ram to work with, streaming the entire rom from mem stick would be too slow). I am considering some methods to solve this but I wont care about looking into it for quite some time. So

middlemaniac
February 17th, 2006, 21:44
So, do you think that we might be playing Mario 64 or games like Super Smash Brothers in the next couple of months?

PSmonkey
February 17th, 2006, 23:09
hopefuly. no promiss tho.

middlemaniac
February 18th, 2006, 02:14
If I am playing Mario 64 at a good playable speed in a month or two I'll be very happy!

middlemaniac
February 18th, 2006, 16:35
What's the new present you said you would be posting this weekend?

Electrifying
February 18th, 2006, 19:34
Be patient, you know what the present is, when it is out middlemaniac ;)

Anyway, i am very patiently waiting for what yet to come. Monkey 64 is the homebrew project i am most excited about. I also wish you the very best in the future for Monkey 64 and Iris (I am also looking out for Iris because it works on 2.0 :D , and it is really cool. I like the alien in Iris 0.1 :P)

So I fully support you PSmonkey, and your my saver if eventually some N64 games work on the PSP :D :P

middlemaniac
February 18th, 2006, 19:51
I'm sorry for not being patient. I just want to know what the present is so badly!

DPyro
February 18th, 2006, 19:55
*hint* More PD roms *hint*

middlemaniac
February 18th, 2006, 20:10
A PD rom is a non-commercialized rom right.?

DPyro
February 18th, 2006, 20:22
Public Domain....Homemade roms.

Electrifying
February 18th, 2006, 22:16
I hope (and guess :D ) the PD roms that will come with the first (or second, if you count Nincest in) build of Monkey 64 are playable, right? because when i saw the latest screenshots, there was a cursor :P :D .But anyway commercial or not, I am still very excited about what this build is going to offer :D .

Once again, keep up the great work PSmonkey :D

DPyro
February 18th, 2006, 22:44
No those are not playable....And the cursor is only working somewhat on the x axis. :(

Electrifying
February 18th, 2006, 22:55
ah, to bad :(

But at least something is moving :D :p (always stay optimistic :p :D )

CatfishD
February 19th, 2006, 15:07
*droools* how i love PSMonkey

Platt
February 19th, 2006, 21:31
Hi, I only just found out about this project today and i was overjoyed.
I always loved playing on my N64 and am looking forward to playing roms on my PSP. I would one day like to code aswell, as i am doing a computer programming course at collage next year and am looking forward to it very much. I am wondering though, will all roms work or will you only be able to get a few to work? If you can only get afew then i would say super mario 64, james bond goldeneye, and zelda wold be the best games to invest in. Thanks for all the hard work you have put into the project and keep up the good work. Also if you need a tester then i am your man, i have about 60 n64 roms on my computer and i would love to test them on my psp. If you do need a tester then email me at [email protected].
I will ofcourse give all feedback.
Thanks.

DPyro
February 19th, 2006, 22:24
I have all of em, and I think he's got all the help he needs ;)

Mysteryman
February 19th, 2006, 23:37
Hey congrads man, liked the interview, learned several interesting things.