PDA

View Full Version : Wii getting 65nm CPU/GPU this summer?

wraggster
March 24th, 2009, 19:44
We got a word from a tipster (who frequently tips off Chinese trade paper Digitimes), that Nintendo will be refreshing Wii internal hardware this summer, with 65nm versions of both its CPU and graphics chips, while clock rates would stay the same.

Currently, the IBM PowerPC based CPU is made on a 90nm process and the ATI “Hollywood” GPU is likewise 90nm. Both companies have been making 65nm chips for over a year, while ATI also has 55nm working technology as well.

Furthermore, thanks to the new chips, the Wii is said to be “passively-cooled”, meaning it won’t require any fans.

Considering how cheap flash memory is these days, it would be easy to assume that Nintendo would increase the 512 MB internal flash storage as well. However, according to the source, the new version of the Wii would have no other hardware changes besides 65nm technology and new heat sinks for cooling.

It makes perfect sense for Nintendo to go 65nm, as both Sony and Microsoft have updated their CPUs to 65nm (in Microsoft’s case, the GPU as well) and are currently working towards 45nm. Compared to 90nm, the 65nm manufacturing process not only brings lower power consumption and cooler processors, but substantially reduces manufacturing costs as well. However, as usual, there is no official word from Nintendo. Considering that the company still hasn’t released the official Wii specs, it’s unlikely that they’ll share the news of 65nm parts.

We’ll only know when someone dissects their new Wii this summer.

http://www.digitalbattle.com/2009/03/23/wii-getting-65nm-cpugpu-this-summer/

iofthestorm
March 24th, 2009, 22:07
Well, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense since the Wii hardly uses any power as it is. But I guess the real benefit is cutting costs and putting more chips on a wafer, and hopefully a price drop on the Wii.

ChaoticanarchyX
March 25th, 2009, 10:12
I woulda rathered more flash memory. I would think flash memory is much cheaper then the processor....

kevenz
March 25th, 2009, 13:23
yeah they need to upgrade the flash to 2gb instead of 512 mb.

TVarmy
March 26th, 2009, 02:44
I bet most of the savings are in that Nintendo can outfit the Wii with a smaller and cheaper heatsink and no fan, and reduced heat from the components also means they'll get less failures, and thus less expense for warranty replacements.

Since, as far as I can tell, the Wii has only one fan right now, I'm wondering if the next revision might actually end up more prone to failure from overheating. However, Nintendo usually has really good build quality and would design this sort of thing well, so I doubt this will be an issue.

Qmark
March 26th, 2009, 05:42
yeah they need to upgrade the flash to 2gb instead of 512 mb.In light of "storage solution", dropping in an extra quarter or half gig of RAM (to cache VC/WW data) and including a modest SD card would probably be a better idea.

KristenBaldousor
March 26th, 2009, 16:57
yeah they need to upgrade the flash to 2gb instead of 512 mb.

I don't se any more need to this given the storage ssolution been already published with Firmware 4.0, now we can use 32gb sd cards to storage wiiware and vc, i don't see the need of bigger flash memory.

Now developers can bring dlc and patches to the SD withouth a problem

djdynamite123
March 26th, 2009, 17:39
Now developers can bring dlc and patches to the SD withouth a problem
very true, wiiware takes a max of 350 blocks, and lets face it, no-one has over 200 VC/Wiiware i assume :P