PDA

View Full Version : FreeCiv

ultros
February 19th, 2006, 21:33
EDIT: FreeCiv is basically a clone of Civilization II (for those who don't know)
after seeing the OpneTTD port, i asked myself, if someone wants to port FreeCiv :rolleyes:

the analog-nub is a great mouse replacement and it was possible to remap the keyboard keys to drop-down menus. the SNES-version of civilization also uses drop-down menus. by clicking on a unit, you can choose all the commands teh unit has.

it is a huge project, but i guess, there's less technical/graphical work to do than in many other ports. the difficulty is maybe in adapting the input interface.

samidgley
February 23rd, 2006, 19:42
This is actually my first post.. but a civ port would be the greatest thing ever and after the moment I had that on my psp nothing else would ever be played.

Kaiser
February 23rd, 2006, 23:31
Yes Civ does rock. I tried porting this game the eboot using 'automake' on cygwin. That didn't work so I tried sifting through the source code first. The game is pretty complicated and far to advanced for my limited coding skills so i had to give it up. i don't have the knowledge to edit the source code enough for a functional eboot to be compiled. It would be nice if someone makes this someday.

samidgley
February 24th, 2006, 00:14
ah well then eh, Colonization too would be up there too... anything Sid Meier really

ultros
February 24th, 2006, 00:40
@Kaiser: yeah, i looked at the source and it looks really big and complicated.
i just considered of doing an input interface, like dropdown-menus, etc., but the project is way too huge.
i guess, the only chance for a PSP-port is that one of the original FreeCiv coders gets a PSP or someone with a lot of free time and skills looks at the code.
but maybe, i guess the OpenTTD project is a similar task, so someday....

samidgley
February 24th, 2006, 01:06
lets hope, and hope a lot. Or if the GBA emulator gets going for advance wars

O-bake
March 24th, 2006, 22:36
Isn't there anyone out there, who wants this game to be ported?

I really would like to do it, but the project is way too big for me. But if someone would coordinate this project, i'd really like to help and i could at least replace some code with the adapted PSP-code and do some graphical adaptions.
But i'm not able to do this all by myself.

Anyone? Please, come on. Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe and Ur-Quan Masters have been ported, FreeCiv is a realistic task, isn't it?

Hawkeyefile
March 24th, 2006, 23:02
i would like to see it as well.

Tesseract
March 17th, 2007, 07:40
One step beyond this that I'd like to see is CivNet with Ad-Hoc or Infrastructure abilities.

Bugger, I wish I could program....

Kichigai Mentat
March 18th, 2007, 04:52
I'll take FreeCiv, indeed. Especially if it can network with other computer versions.