PDA

View Full Version : Sonys New Update???

YourStillWithMe
February 20th, 2006, 04:40
Is anyone else here surprised that we have not seen a new firmware update in a while? EVERYTHING is cracked so i'm surprised Sony hasn't flipped the shit yet and developed a 3.00 firmware. If you think about it though, they might not be able to crawl out of this one because its not like there even Eboots anymore, there gamesaves and they might not be able to edit and fix the hacks we have exploited because it could interrupt with gamesaves and them being able to be loaded so thye might be stuck. However, i could be very wrong. But seriously i was expecting an update around a few weeks ago. Thrown in the towel? I hope so. . .

yaustar
February 20th, 2006, 07:52
Considering that you cannot pirate any ISOs etc on the 2.01-2.6 firmware and complatibility/speed is low, I don't see why they are going to bring out a firmware that has closed the loophole until it is needed really. Why play your trump card early in the game (that is IF they have one).

Festizzio
February 20th, 2006, 19:01
Considering that you cannot pirate any ISOs etc on the 2.01-2.6 firmware and complatibility/speed is low, I don't see why they are going to bring out a firmware that has closed the loophole until it is needed really. Why play your trump card early in the game (that is IF they have one).
I agree. Pretty much every major update or "security fix" update has been to prevent UMD piracy. 1.51 and 1.52 were released to stop users from pirating UMDs on 1.5 (same with 2.0). 2.01 was released so users wouldn't be able to downgrade, thus opening the door to UMD piracy. 2.01 has almost the same amount of security as 2.5 and 2.6 (from a user standpoint), so I'd say those last two were simply for new features.

IndianCheese
February 20th, 2006, 20:13
But why were the 2.60 syscalls different?

YourStillWithMe
February 21st, 2006, 06:54
good point. I think that they not only create the updates to stop iso piracy (which i agree with) but also stop the emulating of non-licensed sony systems such as Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Atari, etc. (Although sony has to have some Atari rights due to the releases of the matrix games which are associated with Atari.)

yaustar
February 21st, 2006, 07:42
Makes sense as they sell the PSP at a loss. Sony are not going to get any profit if consumers only buy the PSP (for homebrew) only and no games.

Festizzio
February 21st, 2006, 20:07
But why were the 2.60 syscalls different?
Maybe it had something to do with the added features? It just seems unlikely that Sony "predicted" fanjita's GTA eLoader and released 2.6 to patch the undiscovered exploit (at the time). Besides, it probably didn't take a whole lot of work to make the eLoader compatible with 2.6; 2.01 and 2.50 seems like the hard part.

michael jackson
February 21st, 2006, 21:20
i can't stand new gen piracy, but seeing as how the ONLY way to play games like old ff's and rpgs from snes etc, is to own the original cart, i know it takes time to make games but its common sense that gamers want ports of great games like megamanx (FINALLY capcom did it)

also tales of phantasia is coming out on gba in a few months but im currently playing thru it on snes emu, i'm sorry but i feel theres no real damage from emulation of games we wont see ported for a while/at all

some games that are some of the best ever are translated and only available via roms

so im supposed to buy the super famicom star ocean for 50-100 dollars then download a translated rom? sry but ff7 fans have begged for a remake... they made a shiny new disc .. still ps1 and only available with the 250 buck jp advent children box set, also its jp onry

new system pirating is harmfull to companies but downloading a game that hasnt been in production since 97 and isnt planned as a remake on any new systems... its not losing any money

.. im buying a psp for games and keeping my 1.5 for said games, thus untill they crack 2.6 to run umd with 2.6 flash were safe

as for gta gamesaves? ... do you even have any progress tpoo save in gta? kill a hooker, shoot some thugs, get really far and have nice weapons/money w/o the cheats then die and lose it all and give up, sry im no fan of gta, it just gives retards more violent ways to be retarded

yaustar
February 22nd, 2006, 04:06
You missed the point, if you only use the PSP to play emulators/homebrew (aka free stuff) that means you only brought the PSP and no PSP games. Since they sell the PSP at a lost, Sony are losing money since the owner has not brought any games which is where all the profits come from.