PDA

View Full Version : System Menu 4.0 Released - Dont Update or Risk Losing Homebrew on Wii

wraggster
March 25th, 2009, 18:33
Wiibrew (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_4.0) have today posted that you should not update at the moment

Nintendo has released System Menu 4.0, which includes a batch of IOS updates. Updating is not recommended at this point.

Version 4.0 of the System Menu was released on March 25th, 2009. It was announced in Satoru Iwata's GDC keynote.

The announcement lists these changes:

The Wii console can now use SDHC (SD High Capacity) Cards with a maximum of 32GB of storage.
The SD Card Menu, which allows you to launch titles directly from an SD or SDHC Card, is added to the Wii menu.
The Wii Shop Channel will now allow you to download titles directly to an SD or SDHC Card.
The Wii console's Data Management menu has been enhanced to make it easier to copy and move stored items on an SD Card or the Wii console's system memory.
The Wii User Agreement, which includes the Wii Privacy Policy, has been updated. Because the updated agreement applies to you and your use of the Wii Network Service, you should view the updated version by clicking on the Wii icon located on the lower-left portion of the Wii Channel menu, selecting Wii Settings, accessing the Internet setting, and selecting User Agreements.
There are other behind-the-scenes enhancements to the Wii console system menu included with Wii Menu 4.0
The update includes a batch of IOS updates issued a few hours before the System Menu update.

So for those who homebrew dont update for now, and if you dont bother with homebrew then let us know what its like :)

djdynamite123
March 25th, 2009, 18:58
So for those who homebrew dont update for now, and if you dont bother with homebrew then let us know what its like
you recon, wait for the stupid forums and their ZOMG I CANT USE THIS, THAT,& THE OTHER, MY DAD UPDATED!"!"" etc. etc. tss lol :)

Auriman1
March 25th, 2009, 19:05
Glad to see them doing something to address people's storage issues. Even if it could be better, allowing larger SD cards and direct downloads to SD from the store is a decent solution.

KristenBaldousor
March 25th, 2009, 19:42
Report has been abrupting over gbatemp that this doesn't kill either homebrew channel neither backup launcher

missluvlie
March 25th, 2009, 20:25
I already updated to version 4.0 BEFORE deciding to put the homebrew channel on my wii.
I was going to install it today (I was waiting for a copy of zelda twilight game)

So now I have version 4.0 and I wanted to install homebrew and the twilight hack.
What do I do?

Am I going to have to reformat my wii to an earlier version?

djdynamite123
March 25th, 2009, 21:52
So now I have version 4.0 and I wanted to install homebrew and the twilight hack.
What do I do?
wait like everybody else, shouldn't of updated, sorry.
But their aer other exploits, read http://hackmii.com/

Am I going to have to reformat my wii to an earlier version?
formatting your wii only delets all your saves, and settings, and creates a index of any titles youv'e legitimately bought from wiishop, formatting does not downgrade!

And the downgrade option in 4.0 is a NO at this time, fixed for now.
UNLESS, you have a cIOS installed, you can downgrade from 4.0 to 3.2U, just use cIOS downgrade 1.2 and ios downgrader 1.1 on waninkoko's website. You must have a cios already installed.

missluvlie
March 25th, 2009, 22:44
Ok, thanks for your help :(

grossaffe
March 25th, 2009, 22:47
What is affected:

Twilight Hack 0.1beta2 Can no longer be copied from the SD card.
DVDx (new install)
The Homebrew Channel (new install) New install and if copied to the SD card, cannot be move back to the system memory.

What is NOT affected

The Homebrew Channel (previous install)
DVDx (previous install)
WAD Manager (If cIOS was installed before update)

missluvlie
March 25th, 2009, 22:53
Man...I am so upset!
So...since the copy of Zelda Twilight Princess is not mine, should I create a save file and leave it on my Wii for when there is a work around created?

djdynamite123
March 25th, 2009, 23:12
Man...I am so upset!
So...since the copy of Zelda Twilight Princess is not mine, should I create a save file and leave it on my Wii for when there is a work around created?
just wait, maybe a different game, different exploit!

grossaffe
March 26th, 2009, 06:22
Man...I am so upset!

you'll still need the disk to run the game and the hacked file.

sean.aaron
March 26th, 2009, 13:27
I ran the update; already had Homebrew Channel installed. It's still there and I can launch it, though I haven't tried running any apps yet; I may do that tonight, but at the moment I'm enjoying having instant access to all my WiiWare and VC content on my SD card.

Wooooooo! \o/ ^__^b

goshogun1
March 26th, 2009, 18:29
Although I am not going to update yet, I have to commend Nintendo for doing this. Best update for Wii yet, and really answers the space problems.

XDelusion
March 26th, 2009, 19:55
I can't wait till there is a hacked version of this update for me to use, the extra features sound like a wet dream!!!! Though I am not willing to loose my wiiware and such just for them.

Jecks
March 26th, 2009, 23:00
I can't wait till there is a hacked version of this update for me to use, the extra features sound like a wet dream!!!! Though I am not willing to loose my wiiware and such just for them.

theres already a release that just takes the good from the update

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11022

thank waninkoko for that.

i believe IOS16, IOS 249, and IOS 256 will be fine if you update with waninkoko's updater.

Jay6
March 27th, 2009, 09:33
Wow... even the homebrew channel, and backup loader work with the update from the SD Card. Pretty epic in my opinion. (updated using Waninkoko's 4.0 Updater)

langis
March 28th, 2009, 13:22
theres already a release that just takes the good from the update

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11022

thank waninkoko for that.

i believe IOS16, IOS 249, and IOS 256 will be fine if you update with waninkoko's updater.

This update assumes that you have the homebrew channel already installed. What if you have updated to the WII Menu 4.0 and the HomeBrew Channel had not been installed?

djdynamite123
March 28th, 2009, 13:50
This update assumes that you have the homebrew channel already installed. What if you have updated to the WII Menu 4.0 and the HomeBrew Channel had not been installed?
then your'e screwed if you don't have a cIOS installed or a channel of wad manager or whatever.
have to wait for TT new release.

Godinster
March 31st, 2009, 17:50
Any idea why my homebrew channel would give me a pure black screen? I checked and there's no GC memory cards, to be fair I haven't used it in a while but I already did install Homebrew channel previously.