PDA

View Full Version : GDC09: Pardo details why Blizzard has ignored this generation of consoles

wraggster
March 28th, 2009, 10:08
Before Metal Gear Solid 4 was everyone's favorite Xbox 360 rumor, it was Blizzard's money machine, World of Warcraft, that was constantly said to be hitting consoles. Blizzard already assured us it wasn't happening ages ago, but during the Luminaries Luncheon, Blizzard's vice-president of game design, Rob Pardo, detailed why his company has ignored this generation of consoles.

"There are so many games, like we make at Blizzard, that we don't take to the console because they don't support input devices," Pardo told the attendees. Pardo's comments were made when the panel was asked what they would do if they were in charge of developing the next generation of consoles. Pardo, who hailed Nintendo for creating an input device "that allows new types of games to be made," explained that the lack of device diversity on consoles would only lead to "crappy ports" of his company's titles.

"If I was them," Pardo concluded, "I'd be sitting around trying to think of 'What's a cool input device that allows all types of new of games that are really fun to play?'

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/27/gdc09-pardo-details-why-blizzard-has-ignored-this-generation-of/

osgeld
March 28th, 2009, 18:30
has he seen a 360, it has analog a keypad and voice, what else do you need for almighty WOW

plaseo
March 28th, 2009, 19:48
ps3 can use a keyboard and a mouse.

apex05
March 29th, 2009, 03:01
The controls of the ps3 and 360 really haven't changed since Nintendo invented the modern analogue controller, and Blizzard can't expect people to buy a new peripheral for their new games, so you really can't blame them for sticking to the Wii when the Wiimote can easily be made to do anything. And games are cheaper to make.

osgeld
March 30th, 2009, 04:21
oh, i must be thinking of that other blizzard, where 98% of their catalog dumbs controls down to point here, and click

point is, if you want to not produce games for something then its your biz, but dont be a retard and bitch about the controls when your entire existence is based on point n click games