PDA

View Full Version : Author claims video games lead to finger deformities in children

wraggster
March 31st, 2009, 00:29
We've received a number of unsightly wounds upon our mitts from certain games -- "Mario Party Stigmata" comes to mind -- but according to author Mike Tomlich, a different kind of "silent epidemic" is sweeping through the adolescent gaming populous: Crooked fingers. He claims the repeated actions associated with controller manipulation can lead to "accumulative damage" on the soft hand bones of gamers under the age of eight.

It's a theory sensational enough to have merited coverage from Tomlich's local TV news station a few years ago, which we've posted after the break. Tomlich apparently has a plethora of research and the endorsement of a rheumatologist to back up his claims, though we still find them a tad suspect. Sure, our hands are gnarled stubs with digits irrevocably curled in unnatural directions, but that's probably from our tireless journalizing, and not our lifelong penchant for button-mashing.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/30/author-claims-video-games-lead-to-finger-deformities-in-children/

dejkirkby
March 31st, 2009, 08:00
My local author also diagnosed my square eyes from watching TV. Remind me why we pay doctors?

apex05
March 31st, 2009, 15:34
The wiimote has to be the most dangerous controller, you could get tennis elbow, wave your arms about and poke someones eye out or fall off the balance board and break your neck, i don't think a wonky finger's too much to worry about when you think about the alternative.

XDelusion
March 31st, 2009, 18:12
And why doesn't holding a pencil in class all day deform fingers?

ICE
March 31st, 2009, 18:45
And why doesn't holding a pencil in class all day deform fingers?

I take that one step further. How about crayons? Ever seen anyone over 8 use those?

Harshboy
March 31st, 2009, 20:08
I take that one step further. How about crayons? Ever seen anyone over 8 use those?

Everyone over 8 has learned that Colored Pencils are far superior to crayons.

This is bogus. I've played video games since I was 6 or so and I don't have any problems with my hands.

My eyesight is bad, but I blame only myself. It's my fault I play in dimly lit areas and strain my eyes so much.

XDelusion
March 31st, 2009, 21:15
I'm 34, been playing games since I was 4, I play in the dark, and have perfect site so...

...your deal may be genetic, rather than game related.

megaman_zer0
March 31st, 2009, 21:37
I don't really think it actually afectcts the functionality of your fingers just makes them horrible to look at. basically one of the reason things get easier in games is because your hand gets used to being in the same position. the same effect can be seen in the feet depending on if you wear shoes alot( your toes are much closer together).