PDA

View Full Version : A dilemma

miracleman
April 25th, 2004, 15:18
I'm currently working in a indie game store and as a DC fan i'm always pushing the dreamcast letting people know about the current homebrew scene etc..

what i'm unsure about is can i give homebrew discs away in the store? not emulators but ports and homebrew games. I have no intention of charging beyond 50p for a cdr. is this a feasible idea or is it a legal and moral minefield?

WHurricane16
April 25th, 2004, 16:52
As long as you follow the guidelines set in the licenses of the game (if they have one) it should be ok. For example, a game released under the GPL all you have to do is let people know that the source for the game is out there & where they can find it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Darksaviour69
April 25th, 2004, 18:28
u would also have to get the authers premission, but i don't thing many would not let u

BlackAura
April 25th, 2004, 19:37
Depends on which one it is. Some of them you'd have to get permission, others you wouldn't. It's still polite to ask though.

wraggster
April 25th, 2004, 22:29
Yeah its always a good idea to get permission first.

miracleman
April 25th, 2004, 23:08
ok i'll make sure i put a readme etc on the disc and ask permission. I would give web address' but my boss doesn't like emulation sites. i might put together a complition with sbi as a showcase in store. there are a lot of dc fans that don't know about this stuff....

Christuserloeser
May 1st, 2004, 17:20
I'll compile some homebrew / pd roms emulator cds soon

also quake dc and nxdoom shareware

Think this should be no prob but I'll ask too when I am finished

I'll let you know...

Maybe you could give this away for free?

I'll put covers and docs on them too

Ian_micheal
May 1st, 2004, 18:28
Well I dont think you can use Quakedc it's wince and only dcemulation.com had the right as far as i know to have it for download. Well that was reported i remember once.

Prolly best to use Radquake for give aways and homebrew disks Because you have to include the wince libs if you used quakedc which is not all that legal

Christuserloeser
May 1st, 2004, 20:36
Knew that but I love QuakeDC...

But DCEmulation made it available WITH WinCE libs and seems tb no prob - no one seemed to complain about it. BOOB offers Gypplay...

Maybe I should ask the guys over at DCEmulation especially 007Cheater?
...and also Titanium and ID Software

...and Fragger for Joymenu22 and Moi and TheDumpAss

Would that be okay for DCEmu.co.uk anyway?

I've tested only an earlier version of RadQuake though. I wish u guys working on it all the best since I have the feeling that it sometimes soon could be better than the Titanium port because for MODs and not using WinCE and maybe even decent CDDA support.

Edit: AND maybe Multiplayer/Netplay support ;D

Ian_micheal
May 3rd, 2004, 00:06
Test 4.4 it is better. Wince libs are not legal to have for download. Does not matter if any one complains About it.

4.4 Has the features of joymenu built into the engine some better menu's and a onscreen keyboard. And other things. plus modmenu

May-be you should forget old versions and get the new version from my site. Has full stereo sound and up to 57 fps

Only thing QuakeDC has better is saving.

Radquake Over took it a bit ago Better controls for sure only why to use Quakedc now is saving..

Christuserloeser
May 8th, 2004, 05:03
still have to check out the v45 version - v44?
anyway: has it 640x480 and proper speed and cdda support?

the other features do sound good!

interested:

Chris