PDA

View Full Version : It is possible...???

adrimaster
May 2nd, 2004, 20:14
Well, many of you now that waht dc doesnt have and need to have it is a good media player like players of other consoles that can play everything with good quality, dreamcast doesnt have it, and i was thinking in this, when i remember that VideoLanClient is SDL and doesnt need codecs to ru (its amazing, it runs all vids without codecs) because it uses hardware to desencript the vids, but, it is possible to port to dc, because i think it works under DirectX and if this is true i think this is not possible, also there is DC Media Playare but it is not so good, cant play good quality vids, and DCDIVX can **** your DC CD reader...

sooo...what do you think????i think that if we havent got a god media player, we havent got a good console, and thats why we have to discuss theese and try to work...
thanx

wraggster
May 2nd, 2004, 20:54
is the source available?

adrimaster
May 2nd, 2004, 22:24
yes, and it has been ported to GNU/Linux flavours, all BSD flavours, Windows, Mac OS X, BeOS, Solaris, QNX, Familiar Linux...
so i think if we get the surce code, and if we talk with the programmers i think they can be very usefull to us

wraggster
May 2nd, 2004, 22:36
got a link buddy?

btw your avatar isnt showing up :)

Propeller
May 2nd, 2004, 22:39
You're kinda wrong, Adrimaster:

*VLC needs codecs. The client side is the one that doesn't need codecs, because it uses, as far as I know, the VLC formats for streaming the media. But the "server" side DOES need them... The fact that you need to decode something implies the use of coDECs.

*Decent DIVX/MPEG4 playback on DC is a hard goal to meet. You need to optimize every function, even adding lots of ASM code, for everything to work. Using SDL would only slow the decoding process, adding an inaceptably high overhead.

*There are some good solutions that need more develop, like Mekanaizer's divx player or Bero's once great now forgotten DC Movie Player (we've got the source, remember?). I would like to encourage every developer interested on video playback on DC to work on these projects.

Sorry boy, nice try.

Propeller

Ian_micheal
May 3rd, 2004, 00:01
I also ported Smpeg to dc and made it open source.. On my sourceforge site.

ron
May 3rd, 2004, 00:26
I think we got actually enough with the Video & Media Player available on the DC, moreover the quality and speed when playback are great if you compare the power of the cpu's and graphical chips included in consoles of new generation like ps2 and xbox.
If we compare the SH4 with its 200 Mhz (32 bit) and compares the EE and the Intel PIII @ 733, the Nvidia 256 and the PVR (cheap and old generation Graph chip with 8 Mb) with the power of other consoles, is a disadvantage in comparation absolutely.

The DC already has all these tools , tools that works much than better.

Talking about coDecs, I agree totally with Propeller idea. No more impressions to be added.

In this case , I know that somebody has ported qnx to the DC, I have NetBSD 1.6.2 for the dreamcast, but it's a bad idea to boot an operating system just to watch a movie or listen a MP3. The Mekanaizer and Bero's player are tools than a PC user can't imagine. I own an UltraSparc machine running Solaris and I guarantize you , that is more faster and gets much more quality in the DC that in a Sun's machine. In the DC is so simply , just put the CD turn on the console , change the disk and watch the miracle. Also I have various Macintosh and I can't find a logical explanation about the question you are trying to suggest.
In Asia, are very fond of the VCD and the SVCD and there are some applications , free and commercial that can do as well that purpose.
If you have a great PC with a very powerfull graphics card, nobody thinks about the compression ratios, because it's not necessary. Remember the DC is just 16 Mb Ram and 8 for the video.

I believe that propeller has said a right answer and being honest I still can't find what you meant, but anyway what we need are coders working on it, the rest if you preffer is talk by talk, just buy a new generation console and sell your DC

ron
May 3rd, 2004, 00:37
I also ported Smpeg to dc and made it open source.. On my sourceforge site.

Yes Mr.Michael, that's true and even is free. You are right. A million thanks for remember us that great and fine work you did.

Propeller
May 3rd, 2004, 00:40
I totally agree with ron, and also wanna thank Ian Micheal for his work.. I didn't want to name any of the options available, because I wanted my answer to be concise and clear, but your soft is so cool, Ian ;) And, of course, is a good candidate to be tried.

Remember also the old Gyplay, Project Mayo, and a big etc...

I mean, there's no point on trying to port something new, rather than improving the software we already have, and which CAN be improved.

Propeller

ron
May 3rd, 2004, 01:16
Entiendo por tu forma de escribir que eres Español y que probablemente te hayas expresado incorrectamente. Quiero pensar que desconoces actualmente cuantos rerproductores de media (cuando me refiero a media es todo, desde un mp3, un divx, un Xvid, un vcd....) hay para DreamCast. Tan solo debes de echar un vistazo para saber como esta la SCENE, y te puedo garantizar que hay muchisimo más de lo que te imaginas. *Creo que lo que sugieres deberias de replantearlo porque pienso que estas en un error, pero aún así como te he contestado mira primero todo lo que hay que no es poco, si no te convence como yo mismo te he respondido, ya sabes.... vende tu DC y comprate una consola de las que se supone bajo tu punto de vista *que son "de las buenas".

Edito y añado, no es necesario portar nada nuevo cuando lo que hay es sobradamente bueno y con una calidad extraordinaria, pruebalo por ti mismo. Quizás es muchisimo más interesante mejorar y optimizar lo que ya existe que perder el tiempo con proyectos heredados de otras plataformas

wraggster
May 3rd, 2004, 01:41
er .... hola :P

Mekanaizer
May 3rd, 2004, 03:27
Hi

adrimaster, where did you read that the DCdivx damages the reader!!!

That is new for me ;D

-Mekanaizer-

Ian_micheal
May 3rd, 2004, 06:10
Entiendo por tu forma de escribir que eres Español y que probablemente te hayas expresado incorrectamente. Quiero pensar que desconoces actualmente cuantos rerproductores de media (cuando me refiero a media es todo, desde un mp3, un divx, un Xvid, un vcd....) hay para DreamCast. Tan solo debes de echar un vistazo para saber como esta la SCENE, y te puedo garantizar que hay muchisimo más de lo que te imaginas. *Creo que lo que sugieres deberias de replantearlo porque pienso que estas en un error, pero aún así como te he contestado mira primero todo lo que hay que no es poco, si no te convence como yo mismo te he respondido, ya sabes.... vende tu DC y comprate una consola de las que se supone bajo tu punto de vista *que son "de las buenas".

Edito y añado, no es necesario portar nada nuevo cuando lo que hay es sobradamente bueno y con una calidad extraordinaria, pruebalo por ti mismo. Quizás es muchisimo más interesante mejorar y optimizar lo que ya existe que perder el tiempo con proyectos heredados de otras plataformas

Translation by GCN

I understand by your form to write that you are Spanish and thatprobably you have expressed yourself incorrectly. I want to think that you do not know whichever rerproductores ofaverage at the moment (when I talk about average is everything, from mp3, divx, a Xvid, vcd....) it has for DreamCast. So single you must throw a look to know like this the SCENE, and I can guarantee to you that there is muchisimo more than what youimagine. I believe that what you suggest deberias to reframe it because I thinkthat these about an error, but even so since I have to you answered sight first whole which is isnot little, if it does not convince to you as i myself I have responded to you, you already know.... it sells your DC and comprate a console of which one assumes underyour point of view which they are "of the good ones". I publish and I add, it is not necessary to carry nothing new when what there is it isamply good and with an extraordinary quality, pruebalo by same you. Perhaps muchisimo is more interesting to improve and to optimize whatit already exists that to waste the time with inherited projects ofother platforms

Propeller
May 3rd, 2004, 08:06
Well, this a fine thread to answer something sweet like this:

http://mekanaizer.planetaclix.pt/files/udcdivx_pal.zip

http://mekanaizer.planetaclix.pt/files/udcdivx_ntsc.zip

Adrimaster, you may download and try these ones...

Thanks go to Mekanaizer, for releasing such a cute and sweet software!

Propeller

adrimaster
May 3rd, 2004, 15:47
yes yes

i will try mekanaizer releases, but i heard that DCDivX can destroy your GD-ROm reader in DC,

ron, lo primero, no te enfades..xD, lo segundo, para ver peliculas a 300x600 o algo asi esta muy bien, pero resulta que las releases actuales (por ejemplo) de naruto o d kualkier anime se ve a saltos KON KUALKIER REPRODUCTOR es por eso por lo que pensaba que el VLC se podria usar como comentó chui una vez (quiero recordar), pero vamos, ya se ke hay muchas reproductores y bastante buenos algunos, pero creo que todavia queda por avanzar en ese campo de la emulacion en dreamcast...
xD
saludoSS

Propeller
May 3rd, 2004, 16:15
This is an english forum, so, please try to write in english. Or else, I'll start to write in elfic...

Propeller

adrimaster
May 3rd, 2004, 18:02
xDDD...ok ok....but ron started it..xDDD

you know elfic?????o0..xD

Propeller
May 3rd, 2004, 18:18
Well, returning to the topic, Adrimaster: Did you read what I told you? Do you understand that it's not the best option? I would like to see your arguments, as this discussion can be at least productive...

Propeller

quzar
May 4th, 2004, 01:52
The GCN translation loses a bit. basically ron says that he thinks that what propeller meant to say probably came off wrong due to poor english and that there are many other really good media players out there that he is forgetting about (all the times the translation says average it means media [media in spanish although meaning <media> also means middle or average]).

Ian_micheal
May 4th, 2004, 05:04
yes yes

i will try mekanaizer releases, but i heard that DCDivX can destroy your GD-ROm reader in DC,

ron, lo primero, no te enfades..xD, lo segundo, para ver peliculas a 300x600 o algo asi esta muy bien, pero resulta que las releases actuales (por ejemplo) de naruto o d kualkier anime se ve a saltos KON KUALKIER REPRODUCTOR es por eso por lo que pensaba que el VLC se podria usar como comentó chui una vez (quiero recordar), pero vamos, ya se ke hay muchas reproductores y bastante buenos algunos, pero creo que todavia queda por avanzar en ese campo de la emulacion en dreamcast...
xD
saludoSS

GCN TRANSLATION

rum, first, you do not get upset.xD, the second, in order to see peliculas 300x600 or something very well asi this, but it is that present releases (for example) of naruto or d tokualkier animates sees REPRODUCTIVE KON KUALKIER by jumps is for thatreason reason why it thought that the VLC podria to be used ascommented chui once (I want to remember), but we go, already ke are many reproducers and quite good some, but I believe that todavia is to advance in that field of theemulation in dreamcast... xD saludoSS

I know it's not perfect but it's better then nothing

Talfi
May 4th, 2004, 14:23
Hi...

I only want to say two things about Adrimaster :

1) This little boy (around fifteen years old) was banned from our community (and from many others) because he only wants to talk rubbish. I know him very well and he isn't very polite.

2) He wants to look like an expert and he only believe in rumors.

Wraggster, don't spend your time in this guy. You'll thank me in the future, you know *;D

adrimaster
May 4th, 2004, 15:58
88laSS

WRONG

I have never been baned from any community in my life.(that includes yours)

I am not 15, im 16 :P

I only want to discuss without bad words ok?

I´ve never said im an expert, in another post i look for help with a VMU, so, seeing that you may think i dont know a lot of thing about CD and less about programacion

I post this because i saw that chui post it on a forum, and i didint now if this was posible, that´s why i wanted to discuss.

SaludoSS

Propeller
May 4th, 2004, 17:16
Ok, let's have a serious discussion. Please leave your differences outside, and stick to the topic :(

Adrimaster, I ask you again: Have you read what I posted for you? Have you got any more arguments? I would like to discuss (in the ENGLISH terms of 'discussion', not the spanish ones ;) ) chui's idea that you posted here...

Propeller