PDA

View Full Version : New Wii Exploit on An Unmodded Wii ?

wraggster
April 1st, 2009, 21:05
Some sites are touting this video which supposedly shows an exploit on an unmodded wii.

http://www.youtube.com/v/KQoEneMQ4R4

what do you think of it all, let us know via comments

ChaoticanarchyX
April 1st, 2009, 23:59
how can you call it unmodded when you have the homebrew channel installed?? :P

XXXW0
April 2nd, 2009, 00:15
2 words, bull shit

grossaffe
April 2nd, 2009, 05:17
how can you call it unmodded when you have the homebrew channel installed?? :P

modded implies mod-chip or some other type of hardware modification. software hacking isn't the same thing.

maddog007
April 2nd, 2009, 18:01
if this is real,
what he did was something to the SD card's boot sector,
then Wii try to read the SD card, it start loading the HBC.

djdynamite123
April 2nd, 2009, 18:27
why are people still thinking it's fake, it's not, go on #wiidev and ask

Qmark
April 2nd, 2009, 20:13
Why do they have to put terrible music in these, all of the time?

Nocuddle
April 2nd, 2009, 23:25
freakin horse race song

Dbgtgoten
April 2nd, 2009, 23:37
If this is real i don't doubt it i really hope they save this exploit for the new Wii Boards that are coming out soon that are suppose "Unhackable" seems like they are going the way of the psp 3000 but yea i hope they save it >.> or they might regret it

ChaoticanarchyX
April 3rd, 2009, 18:22
modded implies mod-chip or some other type of hardware modification. software hacking isn't the same thing.

I know it's not the same thing! xD
I hacked my Wii, so I know what the diffrence is. My point is, if your gonna post something like this up; at least do it with an unmodded Wii. Meaning not software or hardware modded. All this shows really is that you can write code to start up the homebrew channel and such from the Data section of the Wii. To me, and it seems a couple other people, this isn't really all impressive.

ICE
April 3rd, 2009, 19:33
I know it's not the same thing! xD
I hacked my Wii, so I know what the diffrence is. My point is, if your gonna post something like this up; at least do it with an unmodded Wii. Meaning not software or hardware modded. All this shows really is that you can write code to start up the homebrew channel and such from the Data section of the Wii. To me, and it seems a couple other people, this isn't really all impressive.

How would running unsigned code on a Wii without hardware mod or using a game exploit be unimpressive? Isn't that sort of exactly what happened with the PSP way back in the day? Seems that was a big deal if memory serves me correctly.

gumgod
April 3rd, 2009, 20:14
I don't own a wii, but from what I've read you have to do a game exploit or mod your wii to get the homebrew channel installed. Since the homebrew channel was already there before he inserted the card I'm not really sure what this video is trying to show.

h2923j42n2
April 3rd, 2009, 21:20
I don't own a wii, but from what I've read you have to do a game exploit or mod your wii to get the homebrew channel installed. Since the homebrew channel was already there before he inserted the card I'm not really sure what this video is trying to show.

It doesn't have to be a game exploit. In this video, the bug is exploited to load the Homebrew Channel. However, the goal would probably be to load more external code from the SD card, like the Twilight Hack did. If they manage to accomplish that, then on any Wii console that has a firmware of 3.4 or lower, this would allow you to install something like the Homebrew Channel, but not needing a game to do it.

ChaoticanarchyX
April 4th, 2009, 02:51
How would running unsigned code on a Wii without hardware mod or using a game exploit be unimpressive? Isn't that sort of exactly what happened with the PSP way back in the day? Seems that was a big deal if memory serves me correctly.

Because its allready a modded Wii, watch the video. IF it was an unmodded, then yes it would be impressive, but since he has the HOMEBREW channel allready installed then we know that his Wii was allready hacked when he found this so called exploit. people really need to pay attention here.

ICE
April 4th, 2009, 03:31
Because its allready a modded Wii, watch the video. IF it was an unmodded, then yes it would be impressive, but since he has the HOMEBREW channel allready installed then we know that his Wii was allready hacked when he found this so called exploit. people really need to pay attention here.

Having the channel installed doesn't mean he hasn't found an independent method to load the channel without needing a modchip or other mod. The fact is no one can say what this video really shows until we get more details. I'm not saying its real, I'm just saying I don't know its not real. In the mean time you can stop acting sanctimonious.

h2923j42n2
April 4th, 2009, 04:11
Source: http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?21,13182

If anyone wants to help out do this-- any menu version, HBC already installed, gecko not required:
1. temporarily rename the private folder on SD to something else, if you have one
2. download this file (http://qoid.us/aaa2.zip) and unzip it onto the root of the SD
3. go to the menu, data management (not SD menu if you're on 4.0)
4. go to channels, SD, ensure there is a channel with a blank banner titled "Ninja Gaiden"
5. return immediately to the menu using the back button (not the home button...), go to HBC, and launch it
6. download and run this (http://qoid.us/bah.dol). it will create a file on your SD with the title "report.txt". Email me a copy of it ([email protected])

ChaoticanarchyX
April 4th, 2009, 15:56
Having the channel installed doesn't mean he hasn't found an independent method to load the channel without needing a modchip or other mod. The fact is no one can say what this video really shows until we get more details. I'm not saying its real, I'm just saying I don't know its not real. In the mean time you can stop acting sanctimonious.

And what I'm saying is.... From what we see of the video, its unimpressive. having the homebrew channel already installed on his Wii means that it was already hacked. It WOULD be impressive had it been a Wii stright out of the box UNMODDED in any shape or form.

maxer
April 12th, 2009, 01:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bCi0flUyDU

look at his updated video

he is finishing it this weekend :D:D:D:thumbup:

maxer
April 12th, 2009, 01:31
oh and on the new video its an unmodded ot first