PDA

View Full Version : PSPVice v0.4 Beta (C64 emulator for PSP)

wraggster
February 25th, 2006, 02:52
Christophe (http://perso.numericable.fr/~ckckck/C64_PSPVice.html) has released a new version of his Commodore64 emulator Vice for the PSP.

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/PSPViceShot08.jpg

Heres whats new:

Better speed accuracy
Support .zip files (one or multiple files into zip(s) )
Save snapshot on MemoryStick. Allow 4 saves for 1 game.
Improved disk/tape browser with screenshots and info file. Can also display .nfo file from gamebase game archives.
Save settings on exit
Enable / Disable sound option
Scrolling in menu
Cpu clock, 266 Mhz is now available
Customizable menu font
Palette support (Vice format .vpl)
Use Vice1.18 sources (instead of 1.14)

Download here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/pspvice.shtml (Leave Feedback for the coder)

SmashinGit
February 25th, 2006, 05:21
Very much appreciated.

Mr.Modem
February 25th, 2006, 06:54
Nice update!

EngPSP
February 25th, 2006, 08:11
Does it run the simpsons arcade game ?

Amiga
February 25th, 2006, 10:08
Nice one!! :)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
February 25th, 2006, 10:55
cool !!

amadeus
February 25th, 2006, 11:06
Dont seem to work with the GTA loader. Just shuts off.
(2.01)

bLUEbYTE
February 25th, 2006, 11:14
Thanks for this great update!

Voltron
February 25th, 2006, 11:57
This EMU looks really cool. Going to try it now. I'll post back after testing.

Thanks for the release!

repuken2
February 25th, 2006, 13:50
this emu is great!! Montezumas Revenge in all it's glory!
Thanks a lot man!. :)

aries2k4
February 25th, 2006, 16:57
Wow, if it wasn´t for your update I woundn´t even know there was an emulator for c64. ah the memories, this goes way back. Thanks!!

SmashinGit
February 25th, 2006, 17:02
I think this is now the top dog in regards to best C64 emulator on the Psp. More games seem to run, its very stable and I do like the loading menu. IK+ still seems to have a bit of frameskip, other than this, I have noticed no other problems.

D0N
February 25th, 2006, 18:07
Kool! downloading this 1 :D

harpua
February 25th, 2006, 19:00
Most games I've tried work great with the exception of Ultima IV and Alternate Reality City/Dungeon. I have trouble with Ultima locking up. Alternale Reality won't load past the initial loading cutscene. Has anyone else tried either of these and had better luck? Thanks.

J-Kwon
February 25th, 2006, 21:55
Were do i get these '.roms' from?

Thanks

aries2k4
February 25th, 2006, 22:45
www.google.com searchbar c64 roms. works like a charm. Google is your buddy,lol.

oninotsume
February 26th, 2006, 01:35
Could someone give me a quick rundown on how to boot up a game? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

bodhee
February 26th, 2006, 04:17
best ultima 4 for psp is mega drive version...works awesome and is optomized for joystick...problem with c64 ultima is that your really need a kb to play it.. check it out

Wally
February 26th, 2006, 06:03
Should it really include all the roms in the GAMES foldeR?

Gimp_Boy
February 26th, 2006, 15:48
i guess the roms are abandonware now...

Has anyone got it to work on 2.01+ firmwares? thanks

Hungry Horace
February 27th, 2006, 17:22
alas no joy trying to run on 2.5....

the update wait continues!

i'm still using the "other" c64 emulator, which has a lot of problems running some games.

shame - because i really want to play IK+ !!

SmashinGit
February 27th, 2006, 19:13
Hungry Horace the Atari ST emulator Castaway plays IK+ with no problems at all. Don't know if it will work with your firmware though.

Hungry Horace
February 28th, 2006, 14:17
sadly no success running Castaway (or UAE) on 2.5. either/or would be "proper" IK+!

the c64 version at least has the (frankly excellent) music, so i would happily play that.

Currently running the ZXspeccy version (it just aint the same) but with two remixes of the theme playing on a loop whilst i play....

Gimp_Boy
February 28th, 2006, 15:08
yeah man. i know what you mean. c64 had some of the best games huh... like ik+, last ninja, archon and barbarian

Hopefully they fing a good eloader config for the emu to work or the author releases a 201+friendly version...

Kristof
February 28th, 2006, 16:11
Thanks guys for comments. I'm glad you like that version.

The "true drive emulation" is still not working (means a real processor emulation for 1541 drive). With that option, all the games will run. I'll try again to make it work.

My PSP is 1.5 so I'm not testing at all on others firmware. I you know what need to be done in code for running it on other firmware, just tell me, I'll add it in next release.

Enjoy C64 games

(For all games try to get the GameBase64 collection.)

In the final release of PSPVise I'll surely put in the release the best C64 games (these ones : http://perso.numericable.fr/ckckck/C64/C64-RealGames.html )

bodhee
March 2nd, 2006, 01:10
hello kristof-

i dont know if im doing something wrong or not, but how do i load a saved snapshot??..it saves it to memcars as a save file, but then when i try to autostart it it doesnt work?? please help!

never mind and please excuse my stupidity!!! just figured out what was wrong.. somehow the screen had switch from ntsc to pal.. so when i tired to load the saved game, the screen rest..

Hungry Horace
March 2nd, 2006, 13:55
hey Kristof,

sadly i have no idea what is required to make your prog. run on 2.01+ but i'll happily test it if yout think you've nailed it at any point!

surely someone can give the man the advice he needs? ;)

Lodis
March 2nd, 2006, 15:16
The only request I have for this great emulator is to allow me to place my C64 ROMS anywhere on my mem stick because I do not store my ROMS inside the same folder as any of my emulators. It makes updates, deleting, modifying easier.

I store all ROMS in O:\Psp\Roms\C64 and so on. Also the last path to the ROMS should be saved so I wouldn't have to find them each time. Thanks for your work on this emulator, I will test it some more.

I have also noticed that when I use names to hide corrupted folders in this emulator that when run, it just reboots back to the Psp menu. Has everyone else been able to get it to run using hide corrupted folders or is it just me?

Kristof
March 5th, 2006, 11:05
> to allow me to place my C64 ROMS anywhere on my mem stick

I'll think about it. I've choosen to keep the whole roms management simple, so not navigation on memory stick for now.

For corrupted folder, sorry it is not possible for now, as I have hardcoded the full path of emulator in the code.

I have many important problems to solve, so I've been quite quick on coding that kind of details. Maybe one day, I'll come back on this. If god give me some more free time ... :)

> but how do i load a saved snapshot??..

Snapshot are saved on memory stick and can be reloaded with "autostart" like any others roms. I tested it and it worked well for me. I do not know what is your problem. Need more infos to help you (send me the saved file for example).

SmashinGit
March 5th, 2006, 21:13
Kristof thanks again, I'm using this emulator most of the time and to me its 99.9% complete.

Kristof
March 6th, 2006, 19:04
Glad you're happy with it. I'm also quite satisfied with it. :)

bodhee
March 13th, 2006, 00:26
hello kristof.. your emulator is greatly improved! im a pretty good playtester as ive been using it to play the old gold box game "curse of the azure bonds".. the game has six disks.. the emulator sometimes locks up when i load a snapshot image.. its weird because its so random..i was wondering if you had come accross this issue at all.. also,would be great to revisit those old EA games that need true drive.. any idea when that will be available??CYA!

Prodigy_of_Pinhead
March 23rd, 2006, 18:45
I too have a few problems. When it asks me to "Press Play on Tape", what do I press? Also, sometimes, some games don't start up right, but do other times (i.e. Rocky Horror).

bodhee
March 24th, 2006, 23:09
I too have a few problems. When it asks me to "Press Play on Tape", what do I press? Also, sometimes, some games don't start up right, but do other times (i.e. Rocky Horror).

yes... although very playable just as standalone games, the fact that snaphot is very unreliable makse some games virtually unplayable..

Elsid
March 24th, 2006, 23:13
Sweet

parsifal968
May 3rd, 2006, 18:16
well... it's possible a future VIC20 emulator?
i think it's not too many difficult at this point, same vice sources...

iqcumber
May 12th, 2006, 00:11
Just another quick reminder that the ability to map keys so that Thrust becomes playable would be great for the next release! Thrust is still one of the greatest games of all time, and to be able to play it on psp would be a dream come true. I consider Thrust a perfect little program, do you know it kristof? Never been beaten by any of the clones on subsequent platforms, imho.

Perfect arcade Gyruss on PSP is another one of my dreams. I dream big, eh?

magicruss
May 12th, 2006, 11:00
nice update Cristophe - gratz from the C64psp team! :)