PDA

View Full Version : DS Lite Timer Prevents Close Screen Staring

wraggster
April 2nd, 2009, 09:30
http://cache-foo.kotaku.com/gawker/assets/images/9/2009/04/110x82_gametimer.jpg

Know what little kids love more than playing the Nintendo DS Lite? Playing the DS Lite for long periods of time and holding it close to their face.

To prevent that, there this: the Health Control Game Timer. The ¥3,990 (US$40) doohickey has a timer with settings for 30 minutes, 60 minutes, 90 minutes and 120 minutes. If a player goes over the allotted time, the DS switches off automatically.

There's also a sensor that can gauge how close the player. If the player gets too close, an LED light illuminates, the DS Lite vibrates and makes a beeping noise.

The Health Control Game Timer fits directly in the DS Lite's Game Boy Advance slot. Shame the DSi doesn't have a GBA slot.

http://kotaku.com/5194746/ds-lite-timer-prevents-close-screen-staring

gumgod
April 2nd, 2009, 13:04
I'm glad this wasn't around when I was a kid. Maybe that's why I wear glasses now... who knows but I do know that I would be pissed if I was playing my old clear gameboy and it cut off while I was fighting the metroid queen just because I'd reached my time limit... :( Crazy nazi parrents

Grey Acumen
April 2nd, 2009, 15:00
Actually, if I could turn the timer function off, then I'd be willing to get this myself. I also have issues with holding it too close to my face even though I can see it at arms length just fine. It's really not an issue with vision, it's just a matter of wanting to block out external distracting elements.

wiggy fuzz
April 3rd, 2009, 07:12
i like how it has a timer set for a minimum of 30 minutes

do you want your eyesight ruined?
or badly ruined?
or permanently irreversibly ruined?
or do you want to become blind?

gumgod
April 3rd, 2009, 13:17
so ... what is considered too close to your face? And does it vibrate and beep before it shuts off? Or do players just get no warning at all. Sounds like a bunch of crap to me lol. I guess it could be good if your kid holds it right up to their face lol.

DSmanic!
April 3rd, 2009, 22:34
lol, so that's why kids these days are so cross eyed. My mum used to say my eyes will go square if i watch too much tv now its ds, sign of the times.This now makes me paranoid when i peer too closely playing gta, marveling at all the fine detail.