PDA

View Full Version : Next Fable Not an RPG?

Shrygue
April 2nd, 2009, 20:45
via IGN (http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/969/969085p1.html)

In an interview conducting during last week's Game Developer Conference by Eurogamer, Peter Molyneux hinted that future Fable games may not be RPGs.

"Whatever happens in the future of Fable, I don't want you to think you know exactly what features are going to be in there," Molyneux told Eurogamer. "Don't think about this as an RPG franchise --think about it as the world of Albion. There's a niche for Fable as there's humor in there and there's a Britishness and I think we'll keep that side of it. But whether it's more action or RPG or MMO or some new genre--that's what we have to do."

For Molyneux, it won't do to keep pumping out more of the same. "I think it's not good enough just to say, 'OK, we'll do another Fable.' Because in the end you're just driving yourself off the cliff. At some point, someone's going to turn round and say, 'You know, I'm a bit bored by all this.' We don't want that to happen."

And then Molyneux reverted to his recent habit of coyness, stating that if he were talking about Fable 3, "I would hope there would be three enormously big things about the Fable 3 that would surprise and shock you. Not that I am talking about Fable 3. Hypothetically speaking."

During the same interview, Molyneux teased his next game, which doesn't sound as if it is related to Fable. When asked if he would be able to show anything at E3, he said, "I would show you now if it was up to me." But it's not up to him. Lionhead is owned by Microsoft. According to Molyneux, he first needs to get a thumbs up from MS to continue developing the project and then needs something tangible to show people. However, showing it off internally, he claims to have received "probably the best reaction I've ever seen to anything I've done."

So what is the new game? Let Molyneux's cryptic description sink in. "When you look at it I think you'll say, 'Well, that's just insanely simple. Why has it taken so long?' But what makes it so hard --and this is teasing you horribly--is making it so simple, and yet to have all this unbelievable technology behind the thing."

While it's possible Lionhead's next project could be announced or shown at E3, it's unlikely. Over the past several E3's, Microsoft has focused its press conference on games coming out in the same year and have done very little to promote its future projects.