PDA

View Full Version : 4GB Memory Stick Duo to cost $250

wraggster
February 26th, 2006, 10:57
Source - PSP Vault (http://www.psp-vault.com/)

Good news, fellas -- I was right when I predicted Sony would release a 4GB Memory Stick PRO Duo for under $300 USD. Sony has posted an official press release that specifically mentions:

4GB capacity
Compatibility with the PSP (just in case you had some doubt)
Release in July
$250 retail price

Anyone else think the price is a tad steep?

grieverxiii
February 26th, 2006, 11:54
Seems reasonable...2GB sticks atm are ~$140 at most places (I got mine for $170 from ebay a while back) so 4GB for 250 seems alright. I mean obviously, it's more expensive than simply buying 2x 2GB sticks but I think the convenience makes up for the extra cost...that and SanDisk will probably release their own card that's faster and less expensive than the Sony branded one (like they did with the current Duo sticks)

That's right now...when it's actually out, the 2GB prices will probably drop again but I still think it's a reasonable price, considering it's compatible with other Sony devices like digicams etc along with your PSP. I'm not sure I'd buy it when it first comes out since the 8GB seems like a better long term investment but I'd certainly think about it =)

Voltron
February 26th, 2006, 12:41
YES!! I knew that 4GB and 8GB Pro Duo's were going to be released in 2006. Did not expect the price to be so cheap though. $250.00 isn't too bad. I just ordered a 2GB Ultra II Pro Duo but I'm not mad since 4GB won't be out until July. As stated by grieverxiii, hopefully Sandisk will release a 4GB Ultra II Pro Duo eventually. The Sony Sticks are noticeably slower than the Sandisk versions.

I'm worried that the 8GB PRO Duo will not work in PSP's used for homebrew due to the 4GB limit built into the Firmware. Imagine, a 1.5 PSP with an 8GB PRO Duo. That'd be a match made in heaven IMO.

shadowprophet
February 26th, 2006, 12:50
But on the bright side,
ITs a zillion times better looking then the hdd :p

gov1
February 26th, 2006, 13:38
:( yes theres was always going to be a catch with the PSP and it was with the memory, pro duos that cost as much as the PSP itself not very good value for money if ya ask me.

crazy_biker420
February 26th, 2006, 14:16
absolute crap

gotmilk0112
February 26th, 2006, 15:01
who the heck would want to buy a mem stick tats as much as the psp itself?!?!?! i mean sure a 4gb would be nice but i dont have that much stuff to put on my psps y'know. im happy with a 256mb stick =D

p.s. "WHAT?!?!?!?" is like my "slogan" that i say alot xD

pepegomez
February 26th, 2006, 16:37
i wonder why nyone needs so much space... i think this is one more reason for ppl to pirate games cuz now they will have even more space to put games on...

F9zDark
February 26th, 2006, 19:20
Uh, for music and movies? The PSP wasn't built with the intentions of pirating in mind...

And quite frankly 250 dollars is a load of crap. For 100 more dollars I can buy a 60gb Ipod. Sony has to stop pushing their proprietary muscle and start giving its consumers a reason to use their PSPs as a media center as it was hailed to be.

And at a price of $250... Christ I can buy 2 - 300gb hard-drives for my computer for that price. Until Sony starts selling memsticks for $1 I am not buying anymore from them, Sandisk or anyone else.

For a device slated for those on the go, 4gb doesn't cut it, if one can't fit their entire music library on the device to listen to when on the road, then what good is it?

Voltron
February 26th, 2006, 19:36
i wonder why nyone needs so much space...

hmmmmm.... Video, LOTS of homebrew, Neo Geo CD ROMS, In the future, possibly PSOne games with PSPSOne, hopefully better quality downloadable content for future UMD games, I can go on and on. The PSP can only benefit from more storage.

They are already working on a new iteration of the PSP. So it sucks to have to pay so much for better memory sticks, and its going to suck to have to pay so much for a new "version" of the PSP.

I just think on the current PSP, there will be more and more quality homebrew. Sure you can get by with a cheaper smaller size Pro Duo, but better internal (Pro Duo) storage is needed IMO.

Illegal Machine
February 26th, 2006, 19:42
Thats a pretty good price considering I paid 200 for a 2 gig card, and that was totally worth it.

I really want a 4 Gig MS, for some reason it seems like it would just be SOOOOO sweet, having twice as much as I already have in there.

you see Im a sick person, when I have a SNES emu, I want to have every single rom that ever came out for SNES in there. ( for example).

What I want:

I want for someone to make a dump af the 3.0 firmware, pluck out whatever .prx or .rco file that's new in there that allows 3.0 users to use 8 gb MS cards, and flash it into a 1.5, then release the whole program, so 1.5 users can use 8 gig cards.

I'd pay the money and take the risk... Then I could start me ultra sick collections of EVERY SINGLE ROM THAT EVER CAME OUT FOR:

NES
SNES
TG-16
NEO GEO
SEGA GENESIS
ATARI 2600 (which I already have that collection takes up a whopping 3 megabytes)
and everything else I can think of.

at least with a 4 gig card I can put twice as much as I already have in there now. but with an 8 gig card!! WHooo hooo!

jwilds73
February 26th, 2006, 20:09
Uh, for music and movies? The PSP wasn't built with the intentions of pirating in mind...

And quite frankly 250 dollars is a load of crap. For 100 more dollars I can buy a 60gb Ipod. Sony has to stop pushing their proprietary muscle and start giving its consumers a reason to use their PSPs as a media center as it was hailed to be.

And at a price of $250... Christ I can buy 2 - 300gb hard-drives for my computer for that price. Until Sony starts selling memsticks for $1 I am not buying anymore from them, Sandisk or anyone else.

For a device slated for those on the go, 4gb doesn't cut it, if one can't fit their entire music library on the device to listen to when on the road, then what good is it?

I agree 4 gigs and even 8 gigs simply isn't up to par with what is needed in a multimedia hand held. The PSP just doesn't live up to it's hype about it's multimedia features. UMD movies cost just as much as DVD's and are limited to only being played on the PSP. Just in my house alone we have 3 DVD players, 3 computers and 2 game systems that allow dvd movie play. DVD is a cross platform medium where UMD's are not. And at a cost equal to DVD's I think I will pass on UMD movies. The portability of the UMD movie doesn't offset the cost for this consumer. Especially when looking at how limited it is in use.

I should add it is my hope that the PS3 will come with a UMD drive built in though I extremely doubt it. If the PS3 supports the play of UMD and the allows me to continue that play on the PSP itself that will count for alot in my book.

slayer2psp
February 26th, 2006, 20:23
its okay i just bought 2gb for 89.99 so 4gb should be about 179.99 soon after release the price just keep coming down
i have 3 2gb
1 1gb
1 512mb
1 32mb

Voltron
February 26th, 2006, 21:24
i just bought 2gb for 89.99

$89.99 for a 2GB?, Not bad. I just bought a brand new 2GB for $119.99, it is the Sandisk Ultra II though which is supposed to be lightning quick. Supposedly a minimum of 10MB/sec read & write speed. Should help with those Neo Geo CD Loading Times and transferring large files back and forth to the PSP.

I have the Sony 1GB Pro Duo but it is SLOOOOW compared to the Sandisk 512MB I used to have.

Come on Sandisk, bring out an 8GB Ultra II Pro Duo will ya?

Sharkey
February 26th, 2006, 21:56
Thats not that surprising, just today I seen a 2 gig card at circuit city for $100.
Of course it was on sale with a $25 instant rebate and a $25 mail in rebate but thats still only $150.

I was pissed when i seen it because i just bought my 2 gig from best buy last week for $180 which at the tim e I thought was a good deal for the sony brand.
I'd return it if I wasn't so lazy. ;)

F9zDark
February 26th, 2006, 22:14
I agree 4 gigs and even 8 gigs simply isn't up to par with what is needed in a multimedia hand held. The PSP just doesn't live up to it's hype about it's multimedia features. UMD movies cost just as much as DVD's and are limited to only being played on the PSP. Just in my house alone we have 3 DVD players, 3 computers and 2 game systems that allow dvd movie play. DVD is a cross platform medium where UMD's are not. And at a cost equal to DVD's I think I will pass on UMD movies. The portability of the UMD movie doesn't offset the cost for this consumer. Especially when looking at how limited it is in use.

I should add it is my hope that the PS3 will come with a UMD drive built in though I extremely doubt it. If the PS3 supports the play of UMD and the allows me to continue that play on the PSP itself that will count for alot in my book.

I second that totally. I think Sony should make the PS3 have UMD compatibility. Not only will it be a much better incentive for people to buy UMDs in the future since people will have 2 places to use UMDs, at home in their PS3 and on the go in their PSP.

However a quick search on the PS3 specs yield nothing about UMD capabilities. BluRay technology is another 'addition' to the Sony lineup, which will further convolute the market of silicon mediums.

If we can't have a hardware means of supporting UMDs in the PS3 then I hope Sony will make the necessary firmware upgrades to allow the streaming of video from the PSP to the PS3 via USB or Wireless.

Junior
February 26th, 2006, 22:20
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is bollocks. While I absolutely recognize the need for more and more memory there's nothing in the world that can convince me to hand over 250 dollars for this.

No Sir, No Mam.

jwilds73
February 26th, 2006, 22:59
If the PS3 were designed the way I wanted it would include a UMD drive. Also they would have some sorta USB charging cradle I could plug into the PS3 for the PSP. Would be really cool if it was built right into the PS3. It would automatically update and sync the saved games to and from the PSP memory stick and PS3 then start charging the PSP. I'd simple pop the UMD out of the PSP and into the PS3 and play it (so as to not wear out the PSP drive to fast). After playing and before shutdown the PS3 would check to see which saved game is most current and update the PSP. Being able to play PSP games on my home console and then continue playing it on the PSP would almost guarantee I buy a PS3. Add reverse compatability with PS2 and PSX games and I am sold for certain.

Also imagine if older games could be used to unlock content in newer games. Imagine popping in FF7 to your PS3 and unlocking characters, content, mini games and items etc in PSP and PS3 games. Ok that's alittle off base from the original subject but I'd love to see things like this.

Emeriastone
February 26th, 2006, 23:03
I won't pay that much when I can get about a hundred times more memory on a hard drive for that price. This just goes again to show how sony should have gone with a hard drive...

not here anymore
February 26th, 2006, 23:12
Careful with those 2GB cards at less than 100 bucks.
99.99% of the cards on ebay are fakes, most of the cards at Amazon merchants as well. Concerned cards are mostly Sony and Sandisk ones.
Later,

TSR

MaxSMoke
February 27th, 2006, 00:57
$250 is very reasonable for 4GB's of Flash memory. This isn't a harddrive man, nor can the PSP even use a 20-30GB harddrive since the PSP's memory limit is still 4GB's. So get real.

4GB's of Flash memory is infinitely better in the long run anyways, because it uses far less power, works faster, and isn't vulnerable to the kinds of things that can damage or even destroy a harddrive. Sure, 4GB's is as expensive as the PSP itself, but 4GB's is only for the hardcore users anyways. And those of you that have dropped $400 on a new video card can understand that cutting edge technology costs real money.

So quite whining! This is surprisingly generous for Sony. It's amazing that Duo memory card costs have fallen as fast, or gone up as dramatically in size, as they have. At this rate, by next year, you'll be able to get that 4GB card for $100! And since the PSP can only use a 4GB card, it will be the only card you'll ever need. (At least until Sony releases firmware for larger cards, that is). So you can take your 30GB iPod and cram it.

shadowprophet
February 27th, 2006, 01:13
Not because I dont want one.
But becauause
By the time these drop to a reasonible price They will have 8 and 16 gig memsticks with either a switch or a firmware update to support them.

This memory game is really upsetting. I bought a 1 gig memstick when they where$150.00

To be honest ive had it full up to a hundred times, But usualy that with stuff im not even useing.
Lets face it and get real just for a moment.

If somone has need for that much psp memory and uses the entire 4 gigs
There either pirateing stuff.
Or just plain useing there psp for unhealthy ammounts of time.

Space is good theres no doubt about it.
But at some point people have to decide how much space is too much for a handheld and what price is completely unreasonible?

Illegal Machine
February 27th, 2006, 01:52
If somone has need for that much psp memory and uses the entire 4 gigs
There either pirateing stuff.
Or just plain useing there psp for unhealthy ammounts of time.

Shiver me timbers me matey!

Argh

Kaiser
February 27th, 2006, 01:56
Shiver me timbers me matey!

Argh

Um.....What?

CoderX
February 27th, 2006, 02:21
Look at it this way.

I have a 1.5 with a 1gig and a 512mb

I have about 2gig in shunken (non-pirated) UMD-Dumps
about 250mb in homebrew
and 700mb in mp4-vids
I also have 100mb in mp3's

So a 4Gig would be perfict for me, im sick of having to carry so many sticks, im worried that is will losse one.

slayer2psp
February 27th, 2006, 02:33
$89.99 for a 2GB?, Not bad. I just bought a brand new 2GB for $119.99, it is the Sandisk Ultra II though which is supposed to be lightning quick. Supposedly a minimum of 10MB/sec read & write speed. Should help with those Neo Geo CD Loading Times and transferring large files back and forth to the PSP.

I have the Sony 1GB Pro Duo but it is SLOOOOW compared to the Sandisk 512MB I used to have.

Come on Sandisk, bring out an 8GB Ultra II Pro Duo will ya?
its the light blue san disk one the non gaming one i got at frys for 109.99 and a 20 dollar rebate so real cost with tax after rebate is 99 bucks

slayer2psp
February 27th, 2006, 02:40
Careful with those 2GB cards at less than 100 bucks.
99.99% of the cards on ebay are fakes, most of the cards at Amazon merchants as well. Concerned cards are mostly Sony and Sandisk ones.
Later,

TSR
i only buy in store not from the net outpost.com is safe its frys 103.99 for 2gb. the more memory the better i travel a lot and love to bring lots of video with me i use the pmp player it rules but i like high settings on it i convert everything at 900 kbps so for every 21 min of video takes up 150mb so i need as much memory as i can afford

Gredler
February 27th, 2006, 03:20
Honestly, I enjoy bringing my psp to school for mp3's while I work, and games when I am between classes.

You can never have too much space, regardless of the medium. The more space the more variety, and the variety can be controlled and catagorized. Digital space is a good thing that you can't get enough of.

I do not pirate, but my 1gb sandisk is always full. No mp3player leaves psp as my only mp3 option, so 4gb would make my mp3player a lot more variable, and a lot less time spent on chaning the loaded songs.

I can't afford the 4gb, but I hope this knocks the price of 2gb's down to where I can get one of those :P

Hidavi
February 27th, 2006, 04:51
sounds good. my friend wanted to pre-order one but he didn't find any pre-orders. The 2GB cost $400 when it came out. I like this new price point for hte 4GB. I wouldn't get one because I don't need more than 1GB, but its good news for anyone who does.

urherenow
February 27th, 2006, 05:06
@ ShadowP - Movies take up a lot of space, doesn't have to be pirating.

@ the entire music collection guy -- If you can listen to your whole collection with 2 PSP batteries or less then you shouldn't have a problem with the available storeage space anyway :p

shadowprophet
February 27th, 2006, 09:09

@ the entire music collection guy -- If you can listen to your whole collection with 2 PSP batteries or less then you shouldn't have a problem with the available storeage space anyway :p

Who watches movies off of memstick anymore, raise your hand ??
Its neat to be able to put a movie on memstick.
But most people get bored of them after they watch em a few times and delete thos puppies:cool:

Honestly, I enjoy bringing my psp to school for mp3's while I work, and games when I am between classes.

You can never have too much space, regardless of the medium. The more space the more variety, and the variety can be controlled and catagorized. Digital space is a good thing that you can't get enough of.

I do not pirate, but my 1gb sandisk is always full. No mp3player leaves psp as my only mp3 option, so 4gb would make my mp3player a lot more variable, and a lot less time spent on chaning the loaded songs.

I can't afford the 4gb, but I hope this knocks the price of 2gb's down to where I can get one of those :P

I can Completely agree with that,
But I just keep thinking to myself its a psp and while psps are great and I love mine very much. Its a 333 mhz processor, The avaible storage space is outgrowing the technology.

If anyone here can remeber back that far when we had 333 mhz computers. That was about the size of the hd's we where useing then.
I do agree that digital storage space is a good thing. But it wont end here.
Do you remember the psone memory card market ?
Not that it was ever as bad as the memstick market by any means,

But everytime you got the newset card somthing bigger and better would come out. And thats whats happening here, As sooon as everyone has gotten one of these and sony has had just enought time to cash there checks on it. There will be a newer memstick with more space and at even more unreasonible prices. Because sony knows people will pay it.

I really do love my psp a lot. But im starting to see that peoples love for it is getting out of hand.

I mean I myself have eight umd movies and eight games. four memsticks and an extra battery.
Somone at sony must have sold there soul to satan for this thing:eek:

The psp is a marketing monster. A money machine;)

Gredler
February 27th, 2006, 11:21
But most people get bored of them after they watch em a few times and delete thos puppies:cool:

But I just keep thinking to myself its a psp and while psps are great and I love mine very much. Its a 333 mhz processor, The avaible storage space is outgrowing the technology.

If anyone here can remeber back that far when we had 333 mhz computers. That was about the size of the hd's we where useing then.

But everytime you got the newset card somthing bigger and better would come out. And thats whats happening here, As sooon as everyone has gotten one of these and sony has had just enought time to cash there checks on it. There will be a newer memstick with more space and at even more unreasonible prices. Because sony knows people will pay it.

I really do love my psp a lot. But im starting to see that peoples love for it is getting out of hand.

I mean I myself have eight umd movies and eight games. four memsticks and an extra battery.
Somone at sony must have sold there soul to satan for this thing:eek:

The psp is a marketing monster. A money machine;)

I have lumines, a 1.5, and a 1gb stick. I dont see my self buying any psp games anytime soon either, at their price points they dont seem worth it. Not to mention I would probably have to upgrade to play the overpriced underdeveloped software for psp.

As for UMD movies - I don't see the point in buying them. I'll raise my hand to watching movies off the memory stick, but I wouldn't raise it to watching a UMD. Every UMD can be purchased on DVD, so I find it baffling as to why anyone would buy a UMD other then one reason: duo storage space. If you were a fan of a particular show/film and your memory stick was >512 mb, I suppose I could understand buying it, but honestly 10 UMD movies would buy the 4gb memory stick, so why buy UMDs?

I do want to get another battery though, the 3hr limit really pisses me off for 10 hr days at school away from a outlet ;(

Insane1
February 27th, 2006, 12:56
Who watches movies off of memstick anymore, raise your hand
*raises hand*

Really. PMP set to a-VBR (I think it's called) with a medium of 768, a min of 578 (I think...), and a max of 1500 is borderline DVD quality in my opinion. But they ARE huge. Star Wars Episode III takes up around 900mb for me. Probably just me as to why I put movies on it. Mainly because I just happen to like watching the same movies over and over without getting bored. ('course I have some UMD movies on the side if I ever do)

Which is why it's always good to have a huge memory card on the side for music and movies along with one for everything else. Of course I got too impatient to wait for Sandisk to come up with a "Gaming" version of the 4gb Pro Duo that was a good price (Which'd take probably a month or two after Sony releases), so I just got a 2gb Gaming for $108 (Including shipping) on NewEgg a few days ago. (And kept my 1gig for a bit of music and homebrew. LONG LIVE K.E.T.M.! Heh)

CoderX
February 27th, 2006, 13:30

I have a 3600mAh Batter.

Belive me it runs all day
Even with the wifi on

And personal the whole idea of a 4gb stick is to make some money off of the pirates, cus you know they are all going to go buy a 4gb stick, and then run out and get a gamepass for a month :rolleyes:

slayer2psp
February 27th, 2006, 15:26
I have a 3600mAh Batter.

Belive me it runs all day
Even with the wifi on

And personal the whole idea of a 4gb stick is to make some money off of the pirates, cus you know they are all going to go buy a 4gb stick, and then run out and get a gamepass for a month :rolleyes: people who pirate games dont rent them they use torrents to get there games. if you dont sell them and was never going to buy the game in the first place i see nothing wrong with using isos if you play something all the time and really like it you should buy it. if the umd drive wasnt so damn slow i wouldnt ripp all my games to run off the memory stick but they run so much better of the sticks the load times are cut in half
games i own
gta
socom
fight night 3
need for speed rivels
this week im getting mx vs atv and mlb 06
i buy what i like and i try the rest

tommyistommy
February 27th, 2006, 17:27
Pfft what crap. 250 bucks for that. 4 gigs of storage. If your getting it for music or movies just get a PVP for 250 bucks. it will have at least 20 gigs. Whats the point of this? Its like begging to be used for isos. No one else needs 4 gigs of crap on psp.

gov1
February 27th, 2006, 20:48
WHERES THE LOVE GONE SONY!?
they are just playing us like the very games we play
use, finish, trade, upgrade
use=playing the game
finish=complete it
trade=for cash
upgrade=put cash towards better game (memory card development in sonys case)

shadowprophet
February 27th, 2006, 21:51
I dont see why more people dont like the umd movie format.
So what you can get the same thing on dvd.
So.

I mean most umd movies are 14.95

Thats fourteen ninty five :eek:

In other words there almost free:p
Sure some of them still cost 20$ And on the fair side of this debate they dont usualy give you any extras on a umd.
But all im saying is If im not useing space on my memstick and theres somthing just sitting on it not being used , I back that stuff up to cd and delete it off the stick.
Not to mention the quality. Sure you can have decent quality on a memstick movie.
But as much as space costs for the psp why use the space on somthing like a movie anyway?

My memstick My one gig anyway. Has about 40 mp3s and yes two episods of a rare show that I cant find anymore so I never delete those. Id say about 200 megs dedicated to a utils directory that has things like psp brew and the brown ale loader, useful things I want to have for on the go.
The rest of the space is all homebrew, And only homebrew I use, not just any homebrew somone decides to throw out there. Im not so much a homebrew nut that I must own it all.
And yeah duke 3d is on there, in my opinion thats a must have :p
All im saying is like ive always said space is a good thing theres no doubt about it.
But paying more money then the psp cost just for storage space? That makes it not worth it to me.
Hell for the price of the 4-G memstick alone you can buy an I-pod nano,
AN I-POD NANO!! Now doesnt the price sound a little unreasonible to you guys?

CoderX
February 28th, 2006, 00:48
people who pirate games dont rent them they use torrents to get there games. if you dont sell them and was never going to buy the game in the first place i see nothing wrong with using isos if you play something all the time and really like it you should buy it. if the umd drive wasnt so damn slow i wouldnt ripp all my games to run off the memory stick but they run so much better of the sticks the load times are cut in half
games i own
gta
socom
fight night 3
need for speed rivels
this week im getting mx vs atv and mlb 06
i buy what i like and i try the rest

I rented wipeout, and ApeExcape.
Not every one uses torrents, personaly, blockbuster is the safer route

CoderX
February 28th, 2006, 00:50
$250 for 400GB MSPD Sounds better for humanity

You know what seriously think about it

a 120gb laptop harddrive costs less then $250
there is no way it cost more then $3 to make each card.

Who they think they are fooling, in the end its a ripoff at any price. :cool:

Koeun
February 28th, 2006, 02:54
i think im going to wait next year to get it, it will probably drop to 120-150. i just recently got my 2gb duo for 103$, 13$ 1-2 day shipping at compuplus.. then later found out newegg had 2gb duos for 91$, 5$ 3 day shipping. T_T

Gredler
February 28th, 2006, 02:57
You know what seriously think about it

a 120gb laptop harddrive costs less then $250
there is no way it cost more then $3 to make each card.

Who they think they are fooling, in the end its a ripoff at any price. :cool:

Hard drives and cards are completely different as many people have noted earlier in the thread; so this statement makes no sense. Even if the cards were manufactured the same way as drives, 3$ a card is no where near a close estimate. Have you even seen a hard drive, or a duo stick? They're nothing alike other then their ability to store data. Besides the digital space they provide, they are physically different in every imagenable way.

UMD Movies are still pointless imo, if you buy 4 umd movies at 14.95~15, that's 60$, enough to buy a 1gb memory stick, wich holds 4 movies (give or take depending on quality), not to mention you can update the stick and change what movie you have. 15$ is far from free, and I dont think I'd ever see my self buying a UMD movie. Each time I even consider it, I am instantly disuaded by the idea that I can put that 15-20$ towards another memory stick, wich is smaller updatable and much more flexable.

Oh and Sandisk 4gb here I come :P

shadowprophet
February 28th, 2006, 03:30
Hard drives and cards are completely different as many people have noted earlier in the thread; so this statement makes no sense. Even if the cards were manufactured the same way as drives, 3$ a card is no where near a close estimate. Have you even seen a hard drive, or a duo stick? They're nothing alike other then their ability to store data. Besides the digital space they provide, they are physically different in every imagenable way.

UMD Movies are still pointless imo, if you buy 4 umd movies at 14.95~15, that's 60$, enough to buy a 1gb memory stick, wich holds 4 movies (give or take depending on quality), not to mention you can update the stick and change what movie you have. 15$ is far from free, and I dont think I'd ever see my self buying a UMD movie. Each time I even consider it, I am instantly disuaded by the idea that I can put that 15-20$ towards another memory stick, wich is smaller updatable and much more flexable.

Oh and Sandisk 4gb here I come :P

Memsticks are all fine and good. But some people like to collect software and build up there collection. When its digital storage space VS origenal psp software I think some people would rather pay for quality then quantity.

Sure you can d/l a movie and put it on your card. Whats its value ?
It has none. Is just digital media. Sure you can d/l an iso and pirate it, Whats its value. Well with pirated software I would put its value somwhere in the negitive. Everyting you can think of is somwhere on the net for free.
But when you amass a collection of movies and games you pirated
What is there value ? Sure it was free. But you also payed what it was worth, No trade or re sell value there.
The thing here is if you really enjoy a movie or a game Then you should own its origenal, If your not playing an origenal copy of somthing unless it is freeware. These nice people have a pretty name for it (called piracy).
But I like to call it by its true nature, Just plain Theft.

Im not saying everyone who gets a 4 gb card is pirateing.
But how do you determine a pirate?
free mp3s off the net. Thats pirateing right there. So dont say your not cause you just use mp3s. Because its still pirateing. Movies off the net, pirateing, Iso's pirateing.

And you can tell me what ever you want about putting movies on your psp not being pirateing thats a load of bull. Even if you own the orig copy its aginst the law to copy it in any form for any use ever since 1977
*thats why there called (COPY RIGHT LAWS)*

The scene can crack down on isos, But everyone turns a blind eye to the movie and music industry.

I reinforce my earlier statement. If somone has need for that much space chances are more then likely there pirateing in some form or another;)

And im not perfect ive pirated mp3s and movies myself. But if I truely enjoy somthing, you will see me owning the orig copy rather quickly, because I feel I owe it to them for bringing me somthing I like so much.

Voltron
February 28th, 2006, 05:15
Nevermind this Sony Pro Duo. Sandisk is releasing a 4GB Ultra II Pro Duo in March for just a little over $200.00.

Hell F$%^& Yeah!

Gredler
February 28th, 2006, 08:15
Memsticks are all fine and good. But some people like to collect software and build up there collection. When its digital storage space VS origenal psp software I think some people would rather pay for quality then quantity.

Sure you can d/l a movie and put it on your card. Whats its value ?
It has none. Is just digital media. Sure you can d/l an iso and pirate it, Whats its value. Well with pirated software I would put its value somwhere in the negitive. Everyting you can think of is somwhere on the net for free.
But when you amass a collection of movies and games you pirated
What is there value ? Sure it was free. But you also payed what it was worth, No trade or re sell value there.
The thing here is if you really enjoy a movie or a game Then you should own its origenal, If your not playing an origenal copy of somthing unless it is freeware. These nice people have a pretty name for it (called piracy).
But I like to call it by its true nature, Just plain Theft.

Im not saying everyone who gets a 4 gb card is pirateing.
But how do you determine a pirate?
free mp3s off the net. Thats pirateing right there. So dont say your not cause you just use mp3s. Because its still pirateing. Movies off the net, pirateing, Iso's pirateing.

And you can tell me what ever you want about putting movies on your psp not being pirateing thats a load of bull. Even if you own the orig copy its aginst the law to copy it in any form for any use ever since 1977
*thats why there called (COPY RIGHT LAWS)*

The scene can crack down on isos, But everyone turns a blind eye to the movie and music industry.

I reinforce my earlier statement. If somone has need for that much space chances are more then likely there pirateing in some form or another;)

And im not perfect ive pirated mp3s and movies myself. But if I truely enjoy somthing, you will see me owning the orig copy rather quickly, because I feel I owe it to them for bringing me somthing I like so much.

Well said, but I never noted downloading anything, or copying stuff for that matter. Bringing that up though, I disagree with copywright laws not allowing me to play my purchase on any medium I want, so I do bend there when it comes to puting my DVD on PSP. But if I couldn't put my DVDs on PSP then maybe I would buy UMDs, but as it stands now I feel no moral remorse for placing my DVDs on PSP.

I have quite a quality DVD library to provide quantity and quality for my psp, I really see no use for UMD movies other then to protect Sony's ability to sell the same thing in two different mediums, which they pwned themselves on by allowing MP4 movies on the psp (not to mention other formats through homebrew.)

I dont need more space for pirating, there is such a thing as legal files (mp4/3, jpg, etc) So far I've only put MP4 movies on it, (downloads from gamespot, forign non-protect movies such as unreleased anime)My memory card space goes for MP3's, games, and manga.

shadowprophet
February 28th, 2006, 09:01
Well said, but I never noted downloading anything, or copying stuff for that matter. Bringing that up though, I disagree with copywright laws not allowing me to play my purchase on any medium I want, so I do bend there when it comes to puting my DVD on PSP. But if I couldn't put my DVDs on PSP then maybe I would buy UMDs, but as it stands now I feel no moral remorse for placing my DVDs on PSP.

I have quite a quality DVD library to provide quantity and quality for my psp, I really see no use for UMD movies other then to protect Sony's ability to sell the same thing in two different mediums, which they pwned themselves on by allowing MP4 movies on the psp (not to mention other formats through homebrew.)

I dont need more space for pirating, there is such a thing as legal files (mp4/3, jpg, etc) So far I've only put MP4 movies on it, (downloads from gamespot, forign non-protect movies such as unreleased anime)My memory card space goes for MP3's, games, and manga.

jpegs? Bro if you can get 4 gb of jpegs, All I got to say is you tha man it would take a lifetime lol :P

On the same note the largest jpeg I ever seen was actuelly 100 mb it was a detaled map of the entire earth:cool:

Gredler
February 28th, 2006, 09:30
jpegs? Bro if you can get 4 gb of jpegs, All I got to say is you tha man it would take a lifetime lol :P

On the same note the largest jpeg I ever seen was actuelly 100 mb it was a detaled map of the entire earth:cool:

Actually I use it for many things, JPGs included (comics?) 4gb of pure jpg's isn't unreasonable though - the entire fan-translated berserk series is like 28gigs..

F9zDark
March 1st, 2006, 01:46

You can't even compare technology then to technology now. When people were using 333mhz computers MP3s had just barely began infiltrating computers (if they even existed then), DVDs were in their infancy, and games rarely ever saw past 100 megs.

The pirating idea is also not a fair assumption. My music library on computer alone is more than 4 gigs. Thats not including the CDs that I haven't ripped into MP3s yet.

As well, saying that people spend too much time with their PSP if they need more than 4 gigs of space is also a rather wrongly made assumption. What of the business person who spends more hours in an airplane than he or she does at home 50 weeks out of the year? The PSP is an all in one solution for movies, music and games. Obviously to someone in that position it becomes their lifeline. Laptops are too big and clunky to be using on the airplane just for music or movies. And games, forget about it. Not to mention the power consumption on a laptop is far greater than that of the PSP.

Trust me, there are many reasons that people want large quantities of space for the PSP that are for legitimate reasons.

Hidavi
March 1st, 2006, 02:15
^^^Yeah man. Word up. Some people just can't imagine doing so much on their PSPs. They're so into the gaming aspect that they don't really see into anything else. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but it limits their reasoning as to why someone would need 4-8GB sticks.

If I was to get a 4GB stick, I'd just pump up all my vids to double the video quality.

shadowprophet
March 1st, 2006, 02:32
If anyone has explored what the psp can do its me.
Ive done everything imaginible with it. Put windows on it even.
The point im trying to make is, people are trying to turn the psp into somthing its not. No matter how much space you get for it. Its still only got 333 mhz processor in it. Its never going to get any more powerful.
If you want somthing that can do all the applications people want to do with the psp. Id suggest getting a note pad computer, somthing with a little more power.
And yes mp3 have been around for quite a while and they where already well know in the 333 mhz era.

And yes you can compare todays technology to yesterdays technology eslecaly when the power is exactly the same as it was back then.

And dvds have been around for a while too. Why is it people only concder the dvd as being made at the point they became affordible:confused:

and yeah your pirateing bro, did you even read my post ?

if you copy somthing even if you own the orig, Its piracy . (COPY RIGHT LAWS ) there made for a reason. pece out :p

Hidavi
March 1st, 2006, 02:35
If anyone has explored what the psp can do its me.
Ive done everything imaginible with it. Put windows on it even.
The point im trying to make is, people are trying to turn the psp into somthing its not. No matter how much space you get for it. Its still only got 333 mhz processor in it. Its never going to get any more powerful.
If you want somthing that can do all the applications people want to do with the psp. Id suggest getting a note pad computer, somthing with a little more power.
And yes mp3 have been around for quite a while and they where already well know in the 333 mhz era.

And yes you can compare todays technology to yesterdays technology eslecaly when the power is exactly the same as it was back then.

And dvds have been around for a while too. Why is it people only concder the dvd as being made at the point they became affordible:confused:

and yeah your pirateing bro, did you even read my post ?

if you copy somthing even if you own the orig, Its piracy . (COPY RIGHT LAWS ) there made for a reason. pece out :p

333MHz is plenty of space to do nice things like run a word processor or an address book. I know my old 333MHz PC was great for more than just pong.

4GB of space is great for holding tons of vids. That same 333MHz gets me DVD quality vids man.

So, you're telling me that even if I buy 20 copies of the same movie on DVD, I can be fined for transferring one of them to my MS Duo? I don't think so. You are legally allowed to have a backup copy of your DVDs and CDs.

shadowprophet
March 1st, 2006, 04:21
Your not legaly allowed to copy copy righted meterial.
Even if you buy hundreds of copys.
Each copy you buy is copy right protected.
meaning you dont reserve the right to copy the meterial even for back up use.
The back up clause is somthing that sounds nice for people to say in there own defence of priacy. But its not a legit clause. Read up on copy rights somtime.
Even if you bought one million copys of a copy righted media. You do not magicly attain the right to copy it yourself for any reason. Includeing backup copys.

Try this. buy one hundred copys of windows xp and then copy just one of them.. Get cought and see how lightly they look upon that.

Just because the media isnt as important or useful as somthing like windows
doesnt mean they wont enforce those laws with just as stiff a penalty.

When you buy a copy of a media that is copy right protected, you have bough that copy and that copy alone, To use only in its origenal format. You havnt purchased any rights to copy it for yourself in any form in any way.

F9zDark
March 1st, 2006, 18:28
There are provisions in the copyright laws in the US that allow a person to make 1 backup copy of any CD and DVD. Companies put copyright protections on their products to thwart piracy, but it is perfectly legal for a person to make a backup of CD and DVD.

And your example of copyright protections = illegal to copy doesn't work for windows XP. No operating system can contain copyright protections because they won't be able to boot the computer to install said operating system.

And copying a CD or DVD only becomes illegal if you give that copy to someone else. As I said, it is perfectly legal to a make backup copy.

And I seriously think you are underestimating the power of the PSP. AMD has proven time and again, that MHZ means nothing. The PSP has alot more power than the iPod, than a PDA, etc.

Even with a 333mhz processor the PSP does what it was meant to do very well. Having a huge memstick or if somehow someone cracks the USB to allow the use of a USB hard-drive doesn't mean that we should start saying the PSP is weak because it has a 333mhz processor.

The iPod is 1/4 the size of the PSP and has 15 times more space.

shadowprophet
March 2nd, 2006, 00:33
There are provisions in the copyright laws in the US that allow a person to make 1 backup copy of any CD and DVD. Companies put copyright protections on their products to thwart piracy, but it is perfectly legal for a person to make a backup of CD and DVD.

And your example of copyright protections = illegal to copy doesn't work for windows XP. No operating system can contain copyright protections because they won't be able to boot the computer to install said operating system.

And copying a CD or DVD only becomes illegal if you give that copy to someone else. As I said, it is perfectly legal to a make backup copy.

And I seriously think you are underestimating the power of the PSP. AMD has proven time and again, that MHZ means nothing. The PSP has alot more power than the iPod, than a PDA, etc.

Even with a 333mhz processor the PSP does what it was meant to do very well. Having a huge memstick or if somehow someone cracks the USB to allow the use of a USB hard-drive doesn't mean that we should start saying the PSP is weak because it has a 333mhz processor.

The iPod is 1/4 the size of the PSP and has 15 times more space.

That I thought that much space for a psp was completely unnecessary.
Somhow it evolved into the umd market. and on to copy right laws.
(Im not some bible thumping poindexter that follows every rule just because some lable tells me its a no no).Ive copied things myself.
All im saying its its wrong to copy a dvd/ movie for any reason.
Because thats the rules for copy right laws.
Im not saying I follow them.
But just because I dont and the rest of the world doesnt, doesnt mean i can say its right and okay to copy, Because its simply not
I dont even follow what your saying about windows xp.
Its illegal to copy windows xp outside of its origenal intent.
TO INSTALL IT, is its perfectly natural method of operation. Its ment to be installed. Installing windows and copying windows is defferent. Now come on surely we cant get any wires crossed there :confused:

And you cant say they cant copy right windows, that shit is protected with more laws then our soldiers over seas right now :( sadly:(
To make a backup copy IS ILLEGAL. im not sure where people got this idea that it was okay, but ive heard it from a lot of people. But its simply not okay to copy copy righted media in any form:rolleyes:

shadowprophet
May 5th, 2006, 07:13
This argument was so old and gone i forgot it even exisisted lol ;)

What kind of animes you have? im an anime fan myself:cool:

infernomax
May 5th, 2006, 07:48
I'll definitely buy a 4GB if it works with 1.50 :p Can't wait to have my entire N64 rom collection portable !!