PDA

View Full Version : Which is the Best Version of PSP ?

wraggster
April 4th, 2009, 18:26
Im sure many of you have owned multiple versions of PSP and im sure Sony would say that the PSP has improved but has it, is the PSP 3000 aka PSP Brite better than the PSP2000 aka PSP Slim or even the PSP 1000 aka PSP Phat

So Which is the Best Version of PSP and Why?

wraggster
April 4th, 2009, 18:34
personally i think the PSP 1000 is still the best PSP, i have a slim too and theres no real difference between the 2, as for PSP3000 im not innterested until homebrew arrives on it and they sort the dodgy LCD probs out.

mike_jmg
April 4th, 2009, 18:41
I've owned a Phat and my current PSP slim

So I say the Slim is the best one

Why?

1. It's better than the 3000 because it can still play homebrew, and that should be enough for anyone

2. It's better than the phat because:
- It has a way better D-pad than the phat (specially when it comes to fighting games, which I like a lot and play a lot)
- It's slimmer and lighter (finally fits in my pocket)
- Screen is a tad bit brighter (I compared them both and the screen was brighter on the slim)
- Has 32mb of extra ram (used on the new IRshell for multitasking)
- It has TV-out, not really useful but is a feature the phat doesn't have

I think that would be enough, It might feel cheaper and not as sturdy as a phat but the things I mentioned above surpass this minor disadvantages

Edit: everyone will keep saying it feels like it's going to break, I bought a crystal case to solve that issue and works great

PSPdemon
April 4th, 2009, 18:42
id say the 2000 is the best because we are seeing emu's and apps finally taking use of the additional ram ( like IRShell, new modified web browser to take use of more ram and DX64/NDCPSP using the slims additional hardware )

the phat is still nice though... as it has the ir-port, but the almost flush buttons and the speaker placement have been a issue to me :/

anyway imo the PSP-2000 is the way to go if you can still get one :P

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

Nokiaman
April 4th, 2009, 18:46
1000-Too fat,less RAM
2000-good RAM,more slim
3000-useless, because of homebrew

jamotto
April 4th, 2009, 18:48
The psp 1000 is better as it doesn't feel like it is going to break in your hands like the slim does.

danknugz
April 4th, 2009, 18:50
dont forget psp2000 has usb charging too! i have psp 1000 and 2000 . still love my phat but slim has better screen!

DCergo
April 4th, 2009, 19:07
The Slim easily wins. The d-pad is 1000x better, the extra ram that homebrew can take advantage of, much improved screen, it's lighter and just as sturdy as the 1000.

Zargon
April 4th, 2009, 19:11
The only reason that I even might be interested in the slim is the extra RAM it has over the phat. Kinda wish there was a way to increase the RAM in the phat, but that's just a dream of mine...

darkphyre
April 4th, 2009, 19:38
I think the new slim one is better...it supports skype ><

avtools
April 4th, 2009, 20:36
PSP Slim models 2001 to 2004F are the best.

1-Because they are smaller and lighter than PSP-1000. Also have 64MB of memory.
2-Battery last longer than PSP-1000 and even than PSP-3000. It has USB charging too.
3-These models support Pandora battery (thus can be unbricked easily and play homebrews).
4-The screen is brighter than PSP-1000 (not
as bright as PSP-3000), but doesn't have scan lines like the PSP-3000.

PSP-1000 best features are: IR port, doesn't feel cheap plastic, all models support and can create Pandora batteries.

PSP-3000 best features are: bright screen and internal microphone.

So PSP-200x > PSP-1000 > PSP-3000.

xgamer91
April 4th, 2009, 21:40
the slim is the absolutely winner :)
it has all the extras from psp 1000, now it supports the 1.5 homebrew, thanx to DAX and LEDA 0.2 :D it has skype
ok, you have to buy a microphone, but its ok, the larger ram
is better :) and you can connect the psp 2000 to a tv :D

Mr. Shizzy
April 4th, 2009, 21:58
PSP 2000 (SLIM)

As for the reasons, there is nothing more I can really add to what has been stated in the previous posts.

SLIM rocks.

As for PSP 3000, I agree with Wraggy all the way.
Fix the LCD, and make it homebrew enabled, and I will buy one. :)

Aryn
April 4th, 2009, 22:04
The Phat and Slim are pretty much neck and neck at the moment, the Phat had higher compatibility (not much higher now that LEDA is available, I guess) and IR capabilities which add some novelty and the use of a keyboard. HOWEVER, the Slim analog thumb pad is more stable which makes it a lower maintenance system (I owned several Phat units and always had problems with it). The Slim also has more RAM which increases its potential.

So, I say the Phat is better for applications and the Slim is better for gaming.

ruyor
April 5th, 2009, 02:22
I personally prefer the Phat for it's IR Port and how well it's built.

For everyone that doesn't know all the differences between the versions, I've made a PowerPoint:
http://www.mediafire.com/?yinjmkjzmjj
This PowerPoint is actually integrated in the PSP FAQ at dark-alex.org forums!:D

Buddy4point0
April 5th, 2009, 03:42
3000 because it's saving the PSP by not allowing ISOs to run.

cDub
April 5th, 2009, 03:59
With the release of the last IRshell, it's a great time to own a 2000.

PlayingKarrde
April 5th, 2009, 04:06
3000 because it's saving the PSP by not allowing ISOs to run.

Does anyone actually play PSP games on their PSP though? There isn't a ton of decent stuff on it. Let's face it, it's all about the homebrew.

I only have a PSP 1001 so can't really comment on which is better. I was considering getting a slim but now I'm just going to wait for the new one (it will be announced at E3).

Hopefully homebrew will be made possible early with the new one as they will be in higher demand than the 3000.

D.S.Darkness
April 5th, 2009, 07:06
PHAT YO, with homebrew you can turn tv's on and off xD and its a freakin tank, very hard to break

sonikku88
April 5th, 2009, 07:29
Well, in my experience with the PSP Phat, I've found that it is notorious for letting dust collect under the faceplate and the screen is useless against sunlight. Having said that, I think it's compatibility with homebrew is its saving grace. I would really like to try out the 2000 and 3000 to compare though.

bish
April 5th, 2009, 10:51
i have 1000 and 3000, the 3K feels really nice, skype is great,as is tv out. screen issues are really not as bed as everyone thinks! (no, really!) 1K feels 'sturdy' and it's case finish is really nice. ir control is cool. think 3K will get used more if cfw arrives (fingers crossed) was hoping that 33rd march would be a great day for 3K owners.

dejkirkby
April 5th, 2009, 11:32
Definitely PSP-2000

ojdon
April 5th, 2009, 11:41
It has to be the first PSP. It's the original and nothing can beat the original... ;) Even though I'm sure most homebrew now works on the slim there were problems of a few key bits of homebrew that were not compatible with it at first, I'm not too sure if this is the case now, but that is one of the reasons why I didn't get one in the first place... That and I have guitar hands. :(

kjetil1991
April 5th, 2009, 14:06
I want to say the phat but more ram and tv out for homebrew is nice but yeah the light plastic feeling ;(

Keitaro Urashima
April 5th, 2009, 15:01
I think PSP 2000 is much better.

Eviltaco64
April 5th, 2009, 18:19
The PSP-1000 has the best build quality out of the 3 models and an IR port, but the mediocre d-pad turns me off.

I have a 2000 right now, and the d-pad feels pretty good. While it lacks an ir port and bears a cheaper quality than the original, I believe it makes up for it with the additional hardware like extra ram, TV out, and skype.

I honestly don't care for the 3000 at all. No homebrew as of yet, issues with the LCD, and the fact that it's a lot more expensive than the better models is what turns me off.

So, for me, the PSP-2000 is the way to go.

zxxxy18
April 5th, 2009, 18:54
i have two phats and my friend has 2 slims. and we think that phat is better because:
feels better in hand
easier to mod
most hemebrew runs same as on slim
looks better (has holes up the screen and backside is not shiny, so no fingerprints
first ant the best =D
TV OUT IS POSSIBLE! irshell+usb+mac mini+ cable to tv+ctrl+mheelup

guymelef
April 5th, 2009, 23:50
As of today the Phat is still better because of the 1.5 kernal mode add-on.

That being said, DAX is working on that 1.5 wrapper(is that the best word for it) for the slims to enable the use of better homebrew that currently only phat users can really enjoy. there are other methods out there, but they all have draw backs.

I don't own a Slim but, if this new software from DAX proves fruitful than I will buy a new one because of the added features of the Slim. The only caveat is the future of PIKEY. I really need to figure out how to use the serial port for a keyboard input. I can live without the IR port as long as I can find a way to have a physical keyboard.

PSPdemon
April 6th, 2009, 00:27
I don't own a Slim but, if this new software from DAX proves fruitful than I will buy a new one because of the added features of the Slim. The only caveat is the future of PIKEY. I really need to figure out how to use the serial port for a keyboard input. I can live without the IR port as long as I can find a way to have a physical keyboard.

infact you can use a keyboard on the slim

it uses the chatpad from 360 via SIO

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9804