PDA

View Full Version : DS Lite or DSI - Which One is Best ?

wraggster
April 4th, 2009, 18:39
When Nintendo announced the DSI for the first time it was met with disapoinment that the GBA Slot was gone, although the addition of the SD Card Slot and Camera maybe tipped the balance and the announcement of DSI Ware and a possible Virtual Console may bring emulation to the console officially.

But for those who own both or just those in the Know, DS Lite or DSI - Which One is Best ?

drexegar
April 4th, 2009, 19:55
It not rocket science that the DSI is clearly better,

The buttons are awesome! and with the extra power, Bigger screens and more vibrant colors, better online browser and the other crap they put on it. Hopefully companies will utilize the extra hardware and put more work into the games.

give it a couple of months and see how crazy homebrew gets. My god, it will be a Mad world.

darok3k
April 4th, 2009, 20:31
how about dsi lite.. (everything with the dsi plus the addition of GBA slot)

havoc_012
April 4th, 2009, 22:02
No GBA support = no sale.

chuggman
April 4th, 2009, 22:03
We will soon see in the coming years which is the best because... quote "The melody of logic always plays the notes of truth"
There will be pros and cons for each system and it may take some time to see which becomes the real winner:cool:

BirdFLU
April 4th, 2009, 22:53
Can you run legit homebrew on the DSi?

Flygon
April 5th, 2009, 00:51
The DSi will only be better if they make some sort of GBA support, like an SD to GBA adaptor.

zeritooverride
April 5th, 2009, 02:30
I barely used the GBA slot on my DS Phat because I have a micro for playing GBA. I plan on upgrading from the phat to the DSi later since my battery barely lasts an hour lately.

Ultima Chocochu
April 5th, 2009, 04:00
In my opinion, the GBA slot is more of a plus than what the DSi offered.
I honestly can't say I saw anything I wanted from the DSi, and I know some people do but the extra's just aren't that big of a deal if you ask me.

Keitaro Urashima
April 5th, 2009, 15:02
I think DSi is much better.

mistac
April 5th, 2009, 15:17
DSiWare and Virtual Console sound promising but otherwise there's nothing the DS can offer me over my DSLite. In fact I would miss the GBA slot more than could be compensated with the new features.

WizardX
April 5th, 2009, 17:51
If you don't have a DS at all, or only a DS Phat, the DSi is the better choice unless you *really* want the GBA compatability. The screens are (slightly) bigger, the interface is better, and there's much promise of online coolness.

However, if you already have a DS Lite, there is not nearly enough new\improved to make it worth shelling out another $200ish for the upgrade.

kurtless
April 5th, 2009, 20:38
I still have my DS Phat, got it in 2004, still runs great, I don't really need anything else.

Qmark
April 5th, 2009, 21:17
The DSi will only be better if they make some sort of GBA support, like an SD to GBA adaptor.But that would defeat the master plan of slapping random GB/GBC/GBA games up on the DS Ware Store.

If someone figures out how to crack the thing via the SD slot, I'll buy one right damn now. Otherwise, my venerable DS Fat is just fine.

krazedkat1
April 5th, 2009, 23:13
Damnit people! Who cares? So the DSi doesn't have GBA support! WHO CARES! ITS NOT A GBA ITS A DSi! The DSi doesn't support GC or Wii games! I don't hear you getting pissed over that! I say the DSi is great and so is the DSL so just get both if you can!

mistac
April 5th, 2009, 23:38
Damnit people! Who cares? So the DSi doesn't have GBA support! WHO CARES! ITS NOT A GBA ITS A DSi! The DSi doesn't support GC or Wii games! I don't hear you getting pissed over that! I say the DSi is great and so is the DSL so just get both if you can!

I think you're missing the point here. There are a number of peripherals designed to plug into the GBA slot, it's not just about the GBA games going in there.

Why have both? As I previously said I like the idea of DSiWare and Virtual Console on the DSi but at the end of the day it's not enough to make me want that console over my Guitar Hero grip and the camera certainly isn't.

Nintendo made a big trade-off here and it's easy to see there's a divide growing in the DS community.

krazedkat1
April 5th, 2009, 23:49
Then get both! Don't you read my posts.. -.-

darkriku2000
April 6th, 2009, 01:23
He did, and he made his argument, the thing is people don't want to end up shelling out $300 to get both just for one feature

I on the other hand don't care about the gba slot, so I'm getting the dsi :)

Failedartifact
April 6th, 2009, 07:57
I personally like the DSi, I do not have a DS, but it means for me, that the Amazing DS Lite will be come cheaper than £80 ($120) (used). £60 anyone?

Graxer0419
April 6th, 2009, 13:25
I have a DS phat at the moment. The battery power isn't what it used to be though, and so, although I could buy a new battery, i'm going to get a DSi. With DSi enhanced software and possibly DSi specific software coming up I don't really have to think twice. And why worry that the DSi has no GBA slot? If you keep your old DS you can use it for GBA games and the guitar hero controller, and that is what i'm doing!

If you dont have a DS it is much more of an issue though.

JushinLiger
April 6th, 2009, 14:09
No GBA support is what has put me off of this. I still play Final Fire Pro Wrestling and wouldn't dream of going back to playing the ROM on my laptop.

Jeric
April 6th, 2009, 19:39
Maybe down the road I'll snag one, but right now there's nothing to justify shelling out for it.

havoc_012
April 7th, 2009, 02:49

Why would anyone be pissed that the DS doesn't play GC or Wii games? Those games are not within the DS' technical capabilities.

The DS Lite could play GBA games, so why does the more expensive, "upgraded" system lose that feature?

Should we be content that it's only a DSi and therefore shouldn't play older games? I don't understand that logic.

darkriku2000
April 7th, 2009, 21:47
I don't think nintendo actually wanted to remove the gba slot, I think then just did because they had to make room for the other things

Eyedunno
April 8th, 2009, 12:39
The GBA slot is so much better than cameras or an SD slot.

gumgod
April 8th, 2009, 15:31
They need to make a DSi+ which will be a DSI with a GBA slot. Or at least some way to add an external device such as the guitar hero controller. But then again I was disappointed that the DS didn't come with built in GB and GBC compatibility lol. It would have made that copy of Metroid II in my basement useful again. :-P

I guess at some point we have to stop looking back and accept the changes. In exchange we should get better games.

ethd
April 9th, 2009, 05:55
The DS Phat is marginally better than the DS lite IMHO, but it's miles ahead of the DSi. The DSi has better hardware, sure, but the DS Phat/lite has hundreds of games for both the GBA and NDS.
Plus, homebrew rocks. I don't want some system update to knock out my homebrew.