PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Change the PS3?

wraggster
April 4th, 2009, 18:46
For those of us who are PS3 Owners im sure you all cherish the system you brought but if Sony were listenning what would you ask them to change, Sonny are to be commended on the fact that their console is the only region free console but surely it would be better if the console also made PS2 and PS1 games worldwide region free too, surely theres no need for it now?

But what would you change?

jamotto
April 4th, 2009, 18:58
made PS2 and PS1 games worldwide region free too

That would be all that I would change.

Nokiaman
April 4th, 2009, 20:03
I don't have PS3, but I am sure most of PS3 owners want to have Homebrew

nomi
April 4th, 2009, 23:04
PS2 and PS1 Backward compatibility for sure!

Malksta
April 4th, 2009, 23:45
PS2 and PS1 Backward compatibility for sure!

All PS3s already have BC for PS1, but no for PS2 :(

Accordion
April 5th, 2009, 00:24
region free Ps2 support across all units and its pretty much perfect.

ICE
April 5th, 2009, 01:09
Homebrew brings inevitable piracy and I certainly don't want that. I would say universal PS2 compatibility I think.

Eric
April 5th, 2009, 05:27
Well i dont know about change but how about releasing them damn Playstation Network Cards that in every country that needs them like "Canada" for instance? That would be a neat feature thats missing here in canada sadly.

El Stefio
April 5th, 2009, 06:55
Having thought about it long and hard... nothing. Although having said that if i hadn't got a launch 60GB i'd probably mention the current lack of PS2 BC. Wait a minute, i did just mention it. Oh well...

sonikku88
April 5th, 2009, 07:22
Definitely PS2 compatibility and region free games. And I'd like it to be a bit smaller.

JLF65
April 5th, 2009, 07:43
I don't have PS3, but I am sure most of PS3 owners want to have Homebrew

It already does. You can put linux on the PS3 and have all the homebrew you want. Emulators, media players, games... it's all there.

Even if you don't want linux homebrew, there's already OTHEROS homebrew. There are two examples at ps2dev. So you have two ways of doing homebrew on the PS3. What more do you want?!?

The only thing I'd want is hardware access to the RSX from linux for hardware assisted 3D.

Hawq
April 5th, 2009, 10:37
Sonny are to be commended on the fact that their console is the only region free consoleSomeone's forgotten that the Xbox & Xbox 360 have no region coding as well, its all down to the game makers if they want to region code stuff on them. Back on topic I don't have a PS3 but I'll second (or is it fifth by now?) the thought that region free PSX & PS2 compatibility would be nice along with all the games working for it and maybe a hack to make the blu-ray drive multi region, now that'd tempt me to get one

avtools
April 5th, 2009, 15:58
hardware:
- Slim and lighter console... more colors
- More I/O ports: iR port, more USB ports (including support for USB 3.0), standard mic port
- Wii-like gamepad with DualShock3 features (and tons of games that support it).

firmware:
- B/C for PS2 and region free Movies/Games
- More codecs: MKV, MP4 with support for subtitles, FLV
- More of the features already in PSP: Skype, RSS, Radio, game-sharing, etc.
- Global voice chat (in-game, cross-game, XMB, etc).
- Global bg music (in-game, PSN store, XMB, etc).
- PSN Video Store non-IP/region locked.

Eviltaco64
April 5th, 2009, 18:10
Id like the following:

- Full PS1 and PS2 Backwards compatibility (again)
- Region-free DVDs and PS1/PS2 games
- No limitations on PS3 Linux
- More USB and other media ports (again)
- A price drop and a dark blue model :)

That's about it for me.

nomi
April 5th, 2009, 22:11
All PS3s already have BC for PS1, but no for PS2

I meant like putting your ps1 or ps2 discs in and playing them. I think ps3 only has ps1 download able classics, but correct me if im wrong..

feddon
April 5th, 2009, 23:08
you can play your ps1 games (the cds) in any ps3, but only certain models can play Ps2 games to certain degrees. Id want Mkv support and a software ps2 emulator for those of us with ps2 hardware-less Ps3 models. The powers there, well id settle for sony letting devs at all the power like has been mentioned. let some of the talented homebrew devs have a go at it.

SchmuckofNI
April 6th, 2009, 00:46
Make it cheaper. For around the same price I can have a PC that owns the PS3.

JLF65
April 6th, 2009, 05:23
Make it cheaper. For around the same price I can have a PC that owns the PS3.

No you can't. You forgot the BluRay drive. You can buy a PC that owns it only if you leave that off.

Facho
April 6th, 2009, 08:33
MKV support and subtitles

mib_
April 6th, 2009, 11:21
Hardware:
two more USB ports.
eSATA.
ability to charge controllers in standby.
removeable dust filters.
extra HDMI socket. (pass-through)
Bravia Sync

Firmware:
option to disable on-screen keyboard in all resolutions.

option to enable audio-out over RCA / HDMI/ optical at the same time.

Option to disable PCM audio over Optical.

Option to fully configure audio out options. (IE DD5.1 over optical and stereo over HDMI... AT THE SAME TIME.

Region free BC for PS1 & PS2

Option to Install game/movie 100% to HD. (no disc needed to play, just the occasional anti-piracy check)

Better video codec support.

FTP Server. (easy transfer between PC / PS3)

Ability to re-structure folders. (music & video collections)

Ability to sort / display by filename not ID3 tag.

Ability to fully map keyboard+mouse to joypad, or to reconfigure joypad any way you like.

Option to switch off start-up sounds.

Option to "safely remove" usb devices.

Option to backup/restore selective data.

Ability to swap HD's without losing everything!!!

...and don't get me started on the web browser.

Ennohex
April 6th, 2009, 13:49
Agreed, region free PS1/2 full backward compatibility.
And the ability to dump PS1/2 discs to the PS3 HDD for better loading.

Forced 420p for PS2 games.

That is all.

Ennohex
April 6th, 2009, 14:25
My bad, 480p.

sorceror
April 6th, 2009, 16:57
In the spirit of "me, too"...

1. Software PS2 emulation. Even if just for selected titles.
2. Even better video support (more containers and codecs). I can convert stuff, but it's a pain sometimes.
3. A little more customization in apps. Like being able to add custom cities and feeds in Life With Playstation.

Accordion
April 6th, 2009, 17:50
dont forget deeper file structures for saved content.

I dont know why its not there, the os can support infinite folders when viewing external media, but only being able to sort music by Artist or Album not Artist/Album/Song is criminal.

pibs
April 6th, 2009, 20:02
Ability to rip PS1/2 games on to the HDD
More support interaction with the PSP in games.

Spotfist
April 7th, 2009, 21:35
More codec support is defo needed! when I bought my PS3 I was told it was more than a games console and should be thought of more as an entertainment system, it doesn't stream off of my server and if I copy the files over it can't play certain ones LAME!

More good games, it seems all the recent games have been a load of guff! killzone2 was lame, farcry2 LAME!!! where are all the RPG's? where are the MMORPG's? why is there no world of warcraft?!?!?!?

it's too bad Sony can't combine homebrew with PSN, would be so awesome to have a controlled environment to be able to download games made by you and me! hey kinda like this one! ;)

Eyedunno
April 8th, 2009, 12:47
Agreed, region free PS1/2 full backward compatibility.
And the ability to dump PS1/2 discs to the PS3 HDD for better loading.

Forced 480p for PS2 games.

That is all.

Yeah, that about covers it, aside from the ability to connect to all regions' PSN stores on one account, which would be wonderful.