PDA

View Full Version : Almost choked on my retainer when I saw this

IndianCheese
February 26th, 2006, 20:48
In the folder PSP_GAME\USRDIR\ in the GTA UMD there is a folder called...are you ready..."LUASCRIPTS". Don't believe me? Go check. I thought Sony was AGAINST homebrew...I guess they saw some potential in the Lua Scripting.

BTW, I saw this while viewing the UMD through FileAssistant with the TIFF eLoader. I thought Fanjita said that he couldn't get UMD access through the eLoader because it was kernal mode.

yaustar
February 26th, 2006, 22:03
Lua scripting is commercially used as it is a very powerful scripting tool for C++ programs. It allows very quick modifcations to game/object behaviour without having to spend hours/days recompiling code.

Silencer
February 27th, 2006, 03:25
hmmm i dont really get it at all O_o

IndianCheese
February 27th, 2006, 03:31
But I thought it was strictly PSP Homebrew.

b8a
February 27th, 2006, 04:50
LUA is merely a programming (scripting) language just like:
JavaScript
ActionScript
PERL
PYTHON
C
Java
etc...

The famous homebrew LuaPlayer for the PSP is merely a port of this language so that it can interface with the PSP's OS and native hardware. LUA is used in a few commercial applications, with Blizzard being one of the larger companies I've heard of that sings it's praises for game development. And Blizzard has never even released a game for the PSP. LUA has no specific tie to the PSP.

In fact, saying that a LUASCRIPTS folder is a contradiction because Sony is against homebrew (piracy) is lunacy (ha ha) because that would mean that every game written in C/C++ would be a contradiction as well since many homebrew applications are written using these languages.

cloud_952
February 27th, 2006, 04:55
Last I checked, LUA is available on many platforms, not simply limited to the PSP. It's a programming language and, as far as I know, the program on the PSP is a LUA interpreter/reader/what-have-you. It just reads the LUA scripts and then does whatever it's told to do.

Information on LUA can be found at their website: http://www.lua.org/

Cap'n 1time
February 27th, 2006, 14:44
One interesting way I've seen it used on is on the xbox version of Damn Small Linux... Its just a quick and easy scripting language that can easily be mixed with the powerful C languages. It isnt limited to just games either.
you can view a list of its use (some commercial ei world of warcraft and buldars gate) here
http://www.lua.org/uses.html

Fuzzt
February 27th, 2006, 17:16
Interesting thing is look at what the LUA scripts are, it appears they control different modes in multiplayer (CAPTURETHEFLAG.LUA.LC, DEATHMATCH.LUA.LC etc)

So this means there could be custom or new multiplayer game updates in the future? (I havn't had the chance to try multiplayer yet)

Abstract3000
March 3rd, 2006, 11:29
think thats bad, Nintendo stole Fluba and Loopy's Pocket NES emulator used for Flash cards on the GBA and loaded the exact damn emulator 100% intact unchanged into there E-Reader for the GBA you so much as mention Roms in Nintendos direction they will Turn you into the ISDA hows that for nothing but hypocrisy?

b8a
March 3rd, 2006, 12:19
...It's not hypocrasy. The Nintendo example may or may not be (I know nothing about it), but using a readily available (and mostly free) programming language that unofficial homebrewers may also use is purely a matter of convenience and proceedure. It's just a coincidence.

kyle2194
March 5th, 2006, 00:12
Why dont you try loading the scripts up in luaplayer. :)