PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Best of the Best of What the Homebrew Communities Have Produced ?

wraggster
April 4th, 2009, 19:21
One day i want to write an article or maybe get some of the mainstream media to look at and say look heres what the homebrew scene brings to the Gaming World, yes they would probably think we are just hackers/pirates or whatever but over the last 13 or more years and infact longer if you go back to the days of say the Commodore 64 there has been a heck of a lot of awesome homebrew releases, through each platform that ive posted news on and owned ive seen releases that are jaw dropping and make you want to own that particular console.

So to the people who visit DCEmu, What are the Best of the Best of Homebrew Releases and Why, give any links also so that others can understand your choices.

Capn Makeveli
April 4th, 2009, 19:46
My favorite homebrew has to be Super Mario War (http://smw.72dpiarmy.com/) It is a different take on classic gaming. And the custom levels involve the user in the game more. Plus, the many ports to different systems are good.

havoc_012
April 4th, 2009, 21:52
Can't have a "best of" homebrew list without including Xbox Media Center (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBMC) :)

thanamesjames
April 4th, 2009, 22:06
Xbox is the only console i've ever bought specifically for homebrew. Xbmc is reason #1. Xports emus are reason #2. Both those are up there for me.

-=FamilyGuy=-
April 4th, 2009, 23:15
I'd say the 3 Bleemcast disc (full speed PSX emulation for Dreamcsat in 640x480 with bilinear filtering foir three games: Grand Turismo 2 ; Metal Gear Solid and Tekken 3) because it's a masterpiece of "software" That's what I call pushing the hardware to its limit. and also because it's a masterpiece of HARDWARE, this cd is so well protected that nobody ever made a working backup of it, even if it's on an acutal CD, I know no other games for dreamcast or any other "old" consoles that as never been cracked in a way or another...

Respect Randy Linden!

FG

booradley1212
April 4th, 2009, 23:24
Since I use it nearly every day and just learned I can read comics using it (so I'll be using it even more), I must say Xbox Media Center.

Its what PC based media players should be!

oooooomonkeys
April 5th, 2009, 02:14
for the nds i'd have to say pocket physics, its just fun to mess about with. i never get bored of it.

PlayingKarrde
April 5th, 2009, 04:00
Wow... lets see, XBMC would certainly be up there for sure. Snex9X_tyl has to be one of the best emulators also as it's a pretty much flawless SNES emu on the go. But then of course SCUMMVM should be included in any homebrew list also. The shear number of ports this has is staggering enough, let alone it plays some of the best games ever even better than the initial release (based on the fact it removes copy protection).

Not sure if it's technically homebrew or not, but a special mention needs to go to dark_alex for the CFW. Homebrew on PSP was good before he came along, but it became legendary afterwards.

booradley1212
April 5th, 2009, 06:25
I agree with ScummVM
being able to play zak mckraken, maniac mansion, sam and max, i have no mouth and i must scream and many games i've never even heard of is so cool.

and being able to save state and throttle rules.

but xbmc is a marvel. the latest release which plays flv's, mov's, avi, divx, ac3...it plays everything. its just amazing.

D.S.Darkness
April 5th, 2009, 07:04
well, id say the Custom firmware for the psp its a masterpeice of awsome, and from there you can use what ever homebrew you want so there it is lol

mike_jmg
April 5th, 2009, 07:17
yup^^, Custom Firmware for the PSP gets my vote

maxpelle
April 5th, 2009, 11:25
XBMC first of all, better than any commercial alternative.
Xport emus are almost perfect, PocketNes on GBA is a real piece of software.

dejkirkby
April 5th, 2009, 11:31
My vote goes to CFW or irShell.

ojdon
April 5th, 2009, 14:45
Well it has to be CFW for the PSP, where would the scene be without that. ;)

My favorite emulator has to be the PSP port of the Picodrive<3

OZBRN5
April 5th, 2009, 15:41
Dark Alex...dark Alex...dark Alex...zx-81...zx-81...zx-81

mr_nick666
April 6th, 2009, 09:17
PSPsim has to be up there. Dog bless ZX-81 for showing the classics love! :)

m-p{3}
April 6th, 2009, 12:13
I'd say the Wii Homebrew Channel.

Without it, I doubt the Wii homebrew community would be in its current state.

zxxxy18
April 6th, 2009, 15:30
For me its psp's custom firmeare and... i think..... LINUX=D!(idk is it homebrew, but im sure its open =D).

Darksaviour69
April 8th, 2009, 14:59
Cool Herders and Feet of Fury (for the dreamcast), great homebrew games that ended up a commercial releases. Neo Geo 4 all also since you can play actual Neo Geo games (discs) with it.

Baboon
April 9th, 2009, 10:56
Xbmc

chupathingy
April 17th, 2009, 11:00
The day that a good Rez homebrew clone (emphasis on good) appears for any system (hopefully ds) is the day I vote for best homebrew.