PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Games Emulator

oninotsume
February 27th, 2006, 05:50
I know that this has been talked about before, but I can't seem to get over the idea of being able to play all of those classic Sierra/Dynamix VGA point and click titles from back in the day. It would be so sweet to play Leisure Suit Larry, Quest for Glory, Rise of the Dragon, Police Quest, Willy Beamish, King's Quest, etc. on the go.

If anyone is seriously thinking about this I'll donate!!

HeartSpasms
March 3rd, 2006, 02:27
I can't really help you but another good siera game that should be ported is Hlaf-life.

Cap'n 1time
March 3rd, 2006, 02:50
I can't really help you but another good siera game that should be ported is Hlaf-life.

death to you. read the sticky at the top of the thread AND FOR GOD SAKES YOU HIPPIES QUIT ASKING FOR HALF LIFE.

As for a siera emulator.. Im actually quite supprised there isnt one already. Id love to play Quest for Glory on my psp :cool:

samidgley
March 3rd, 2006, 10:06
They made Dicworld as well didn't they? That'd be rather nice. Why doesn't someone make DosBox work properly?

Cap'n 1time
March 3rd, 2006, 21:42
They made Dicworld as well didn't they? That'd be rather nice. Why doesn't someone make DosBox work properly?

why havnt you? because it isnt easy.

bill00000
March 6th, 2006, 23:24
What you're looking for is called an AGI interpreter. It would be a little awkward, because although the classic sierra adventure titles are similar to ScummVM style games, they rely heavily on text input. There's a really sharp AGI interpreter for GBA that finds a way around this by reading the games library files and gives you a list of verbs and nouns to use. You would select "open" from the first list, then "door" from the second. It's also open source: http://www.bripro.com/gbagi/index.php?page=download

oninotsume
March 8th, 2006, 02:55
bill00000 thanks for the information about the GBA Sierra emulator. I guess if it can be done on the GBA it's probably safe to assume that it can also be done on the PSP.

In fact I was thinking about Sierra games a little older than the EGA ones on the GBA emulator. Although those would be great, it would be even better if the point and click VGA 256 color adventure games such as Leisure Suit Larry 5, and other Dynamix games such as Willy Beamish and Rise of the Dragon were possible.

I know absolutely nothing about programming, so I can only hope and pray...for this and a CPS1 and CPS2 emulator. I wonder if it's possible to use the NeoCD DC emulator's prefetch technology for this?

ricflairandy
March 9th, 2006, 19:07
how do people go about porting games? I mean where do you learn how to port?Id love to give it a go.

O-bake
March 9th, 2006, 19:27
how do people go about porting games? I mean where do you learn how to port?Id love to give it a go.
It's not that simple, actually.

If you want to do a heart-transplantation, you have to study medicine. ou can't just say "oh no, i just want to know how to do a heart-transplantation".
similar to porting. if you learn how to code, you learn how to port ;)

ricflairandy
March 9th, 2006, 21:44
It's not that simple, actually.

If you want to do a heart-transplantation, you have to study medicine. ou can't just say "oh no, i just want to know how to do a heart-transplantation".
similar to porting. if you learn how to code, you learn how to port ;)

thats what i meant. How did the people doing the porting start out?

Eleetist
March 10th, 2006, 08:44
How do you think they start? From scratch, learning from books or from others, or in school, or college. There are lots of ways to do this, I am sure you can even find tutorials on the net to get you started, but don't expect it to be easy. As for a Sierra games emulator, if S60 phones and the N-gage can do it, the PSP definitely can. So it's only a question of time, not of whether it can be done.

ricflairandy
March 11th, 2006, 13:00
How do you think they start? From scratch, learning from books or from others, or in school, or college. There are lots of ways to do this, I am sure you can even find tutorials on the net to get you started, but don't expect it to be easy. As for a Sierra games emulator, if S60 phones and the N-gage can do it, the PSP definitely can. So it's only a question of time, not of whether it can be done.

I found a good tutorial about porting a game yesterday. It ports rrootage across. Im going to go through that today and see if i can learn anything from it.

Eleetist
March 13th, 2006, 13:59
Good luck, who knows how far you'll go? And I'm not being sarcastic or anything, just happy for you :D.

nmkrapper
March 14th, 2006, 14:00
yeah try it out !

Hawkeyefile
March 14th, 2006, 21:27
you do know that most of those old sierra games where made for the amiga and can run them perfectly on pspuae. kings quest works thats all ive tried.

ricflairandy
March 17th, 2006, 11:00
yes, but the thing about the gba one is that they have implimented a way of selecting commands rather than typing them. Typing them on the psp would be a nightmare!

dcemudos
March 23rd, 2006, 02:46
thats what i meant. How did the people doing the porting start out?
Really how can someone make a port of an open source prog/game for psp?
How can i make pbp files for example :confused: ?
Edit:ricflairandy can you tell where did you find the tutorial?

ps:Sorry for the offtopic maybe i must make a new topic...

Inigo Montoya
April 4th, 2006, 01:19
What you're looking for is called an AGI interpreter. It would be a little awkward, because although the classic sierra adventure titles are similar to ScummVM style games, they rely heavily on text input. There's a really sharp AGI interpreter for GBA that finds a way around this by reading the games library files and gives you a list of verbs and nouns to use. You would select "open" from the first list, then "door" from the second. It's also open source: http://www.bripro.com/gbagi/index.php?page=download

I love Quest for Glory! It was one of the best games of that variaty ever! Also, Except for your name it required no text input at all. On a related note if you don't type in a name you can tell Erasmus' Gargoyle that your name is "Puddin' tane ask me again and i'll tell you the same" without him teleporting you back to the bottom of the mountain.

futaris
July 15th, 2006, 00:15
Just bumping up this thread. I'm working on GBAGI style input for ScummVM's AGI engine. In the end it should just work like GBAGI.

LeperMessiah
July 15th, 2006, 15:15
W00T
Old School Police Quest and Rise of the Dragon here I come , again!

Cooe14
July 21st, 2006, 07:01
I would love to play King's Quest VII (I know not many people liked it, but I thought it was great.) on my psp.