PDA

View Full Version : Sony says the DSi is for kids, the PSP is for winners

wraggster
April 5th, 2009, 19:12
Well, chalk this up for out of the ordinary -- Sony's PR team just sent us a "Statement from Sony PlayStation on PSP and Competitive Landscape" that basically boils down to SCEA director of hardware marketing John Koller calling the DSi a kid's toy that "ignores significant gamer demographics" and has minimal third-party support compared to the library of "blockbuster" titles on the PSP. Seriously, it's so weird we're just going to reprint the whole thing:
If Nintendo is really committed to reaching a broader, more diverse audience of gamers beyond the "kids" market that they've always engaged, there isn't much new with the DSi to support that. Significant gamer demographic groups are being ignored, and there continues to be limited opportunities for games from external publishers to do well on the DSi. Compare that with the PSP platform, where we have many blockbuster franchises from our publishing partners launching this year, representing a wide variety of genres and targeting diverse demographics. Games such as Rock Band Unplugged from MTV Games, Assassin's Creed from Ubisoft, Dissidia Final Fantasy from Square Enix, and Hannah Montana from Disney demonstrate the commitment that publishers have to the PSP. From our own first-party studios, we're launching unique versions of LittleBigPlanet and MotorStorm, and we're also planning a steady stream of downloadable games -- both new titles and PSone classics -- to add to the content that PSP owners can already purchase wirelessly through PlayStation Store.
Pretty strong words in response to the fairly un-hyped US launch of the DSi tomorrow -- especially since Ninty's sold just about twice as many total DS units than Sony's 50m PSPs, hard numbers from which no amount of marketing bluster can really distract. In fact, if we were in charge at Sony, we'd be more worried about the emergence of the iPhone and iPod touch, which have sold over 30m units total and attracted a ton of buzz from game developers while the PSP seems to be stagnating in the face of endless rumors of a UMD-less PSP2. Harsh truth? Maybe, maybe not -- you tell us.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/04/sony-says-the-dsi-is-for-kids-the-psp-is-for-winners/

Mew
April 5th, 2009, 20:16
**** yeah :D

Buddy4point0
April 5th, 2009, 21:48
Yes!

apex05
April 5th, 2009, 22:18
The NDS is like a licence for Nintendo to print money, so they don't need to make a big deal out of the NDSI launch, Sony took 4 years to start to get it's act together with the Psp so i don't think Nintendo will be listening to their advice.

mcdougall57
April 6th, 2009, 00:36
I'm sure Nintendo execs don't own PSP's and they seem to be the winners at the moment.

mike_jmg
April 6th, 2009, 04:15
Yes it is, yet the damn thing is more popular than anything, don't people realize it is way under the PSP

http://www.stuffwelike.com/stuffwelike/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/dsprintsmoney.jpg

ICE
April 6th, 2009, 04:25
I didnt know the two were mutually exclusive.

jaws365
April 6th, 2009, 09:06
I bought a PSP first, but there were so few good games so I ended up only using it for homebrew, especially PSP Rhythm. My DS on the other hand is used for composing, PDA, gaming, homebrew + +. I guess I was a winner, but degraded to a loser. I don't know about you, but I prefer first person shooters with a mouse/stylus over lame-ass auto aim, and also when i play games I want to be drawn to a fiction, not to become horny because of all the tits and ass that Sony put into their games. Nuff said.

Nokiaman
April 6th, 2009, 16:06
Agreed with SONY. DS's games are really childish

Malksta
April 6th, 2009, 18:37
well, it's true isn't it?

pibs
April 6th, 2009, 19:07
aHAHAHA! the title made me laugh hard.

Spyzius
April 6th, 2009, 19:42
DS have biger game library

Suko-sama
April 26th, 2009, 13:03
Well, what could you expect. Sony and Nintendo are rivals.

caffeinekid
April 26th, 2009, 15:18
It says a lot that I mainly use my PSP for playing SNES, NES, Gameboy games on. LOL