PDA

View Full Version : Monkey 64 News Update (Nintendo 64 Emulator for PSP)

wraggster
February 27th, 2006, 20:46
PSMonkey has again been showing off the progress of his Nintendo 64 emulator for the PSP, heres what he posted:

"I put some extra code in for correcting the display resolution. It's not the worlds best pixel scale but it gets the job done (so now 640x480 disp demos display correctly). Sadly a few demo's seem odd. Like DKong which runs in a small section of the full window (which makes things imposible to read or see) and "2 blokes & an armchair" which seems to want 640x240 res not 640x480 (not sure how to pull out the vert res yet)."

Check out the great new screens here --> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19483&page=3&pp=10

Voltron
February 28th, 2006, 04:46
GOod to see frequent news on this promising project. Thanks for the WIP update.

PSmonkey
February 28th, 2006, 05:41
i'm starting to think maybe up update too often. like people comment less and less every post (but thank god that means less "its not posible" replies as well) because it ends up being almost the same thing they said last time. :P

Oh well. I am keeping one thing secret till the 9th tho. Have to see if it comes to fruition by then.

Mr.Modem
February 28th, 2006, 07:36
I think it's always nice to hear some status report from the devs. Keep up the good work!

ace_t
February 28th, 2006, 10:03
Please post your updates, I don't like to post just for the sake of it, but I always look forward to more news on this great project.

Keep up the good work. Any more news on your IRIS project?

PSmonkey
February 28th, 2006, 14:18
Please post your updates, I don't like to post just for the sake of it, but I always look forward to more news on this great project.

Keep up the good work. Any more news on your IRIS project?

MGFox made a new map and is working on some modifications for it and also posibly sqeezing out 1-2 more maps. :D Other then that I am trying to finish monkey so i can go back to iris. I have a clipping bug to fix and to clean up some tweaks. :)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
February 28th, 2006, 19:41
Yeah monkey plz release the source they are some extremely talented coders out there who could help you take it to the next level..Once again great work.BUT many consoles have had trouble emulating the N64 so there is a HELL of a lot to do still.

PSmonkey
March 1st, 2006, 03:53
Yeah monkey plz release the source they are some extremely talented coders out there who could help you take it to the next level..Once again great work.BUT many consoles have had trouble emulating the N64 so there is a HELL of a lot to do still.

I plan to release the source but really unless the person knows alot about the n64 I dont think anybody will really be able to improve speeds too much. The only wayt to get a significant bost will be in static/dynamic recompiler which i will get to in due time (and not a simple task either).

pkmaximum
March 1st, 2006, 19:56
i'm starting to think maybe up update too often. like people comment less and less every post (but thank god that means less "its not posible" replies as well) because it ends up being almost the same thing they said last time. :P

Oh well. I am keeping one thing secret till the 9th tho. Have to see if it comes to fruition by then.

Don't worry dude I read all your latest posts I just don't leave comments because you seem to have everything under control in the development of the emulator. So once again good luck. And keep up the great work!

P.S. You have my support w/e you need just ask for it.

vcarriere
March 2nd, 2006, 09:08
What exactly is static/recompiling emulation you talk about?

I'm not really aware of how an emulator is made as i'm a student in electrical engineering. I'm currently coding a simple 64 bit processor in VHDL (Hardware description language) and i was wondering if what i'm thinking is right. I imagine that what you essentially have to do is reproduce the processor (ALU, registers and everything else) and all the other internals of the box so it can interpret the assembly code, am i right?