View Full Version : Sony Axes PSP Keyboard

wraggster
February 28th, 2006, 00:26
Source - IGN (http://gear.ign.com/articles/691/691760p1.html)

The PSP community was shocked (not really) by Logic 3's announcement that their highly anticipated PSP keyboard accessory has been cancelled. According to Logic 3, Sony was unwilling to provide command protocols necessary for the keyboard to function.

Sony has not commented as to why the company would not like to see a keyboard peripheral developed, however, the cancellation notice from Logic 3 is the final addition to a lengthy and often delayed development process of the peripheral. Some speculate that Sony will soon release their own first-party keyboard for the PSP, while others pessimistically suggest that Sony does not care to heed overwhelming consumer demand for a PSP keyboard and will do nothing. We'll keep you posted if anything develops.

Voltron
February 28th, 2006, 04:58
Well that was nice Sony.....

shadowprophet
February 28th, 2006, 09:21
Who didnt see this comeing :confused:

pepegomez
February 28th, 2006, 19:57
i know why. they want to make their own which ofcourse needs or includes the upcoming 3.0 version :D

Emeriastone
February 28th, 2006, 22:11
No!!! Where will I get the workout for my typing thumbs??

F9zDark
March 1st, 2006, 01:17
If the rumors of 3.0 firmware are true, this would be the best time for Sony to throw a PSP keyboard into the market. Not only does the firmware upgrade give Sony the perfect medium to install PSP-Keyboard drivers but it also seemingly supports various apps that could make use of it.

I also believe that Sony didn't want to give Logic3 the needed information because:

1)Hackers in the scene could perhaps gain entrance into the protocols being used and thus write any number of programs to make use of them or ones extrapolated from them: USB hard-drives could be on the horizon then.

2)To install the keyboard information would need the ability to write to flash, something that Sony obviously doesn't want in the wrong hands and obviously not in anyone's hands but their own.