PDA

View Full Version : Sony spins out of control, says DSi ignores 'significant gamer demographic groups'

wraggster
April 7th, 2009, 10:28
Trying his very best to minimize the impact of the Nintendo DSi launch, Sony's John Koller sent out a statement that basically says that the new product isn't a big deal compared to the PSP. That's expected, right? What isn't expected is how far he has to travel outside of reality to get to that conclusion.

"Significant gamer demographic groups are being ignored," Koller said, "and there continues to be limited opportunities for games from external publishers to do well on the DSi." We suppose that the new options for third-party games are somewhat limited by the fact that it's the same platform, although there is that whole downloadable game store thing now.

But here's where it gets really weird: "Compare that with the PSP platform, where we have many blockbuster franchises from our publishing partners launching this year, representing a wide variety of genres and targeting diverse demographics. Games such as Rock Band Unplugged from MTV Games, Assassin's Creed from Ubisoft, Dissidia Final Fantasy from Square Enix, and Hannah Montana from Disney demonstrate the commitment that publishers have to the PSP."

The same franchises demonstrate the commitment that publishers have to the DS! Assassin's Creed came out on DS last year. Doesn't that say something about Ubisoft's priorities? In addition, a Final Fantasy game came out on DS just last month, adding to the rather large lineup of Final Fantasy games. Hannah Montana has been out on DS forever, in multiple iterations. And as for Rock Band ... well, okay. The DS doesn't have a Rock Band game. Just three Guitar Heroes.

So who's being ignored? People who really love God of War, perhaps.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/06/sony-spins-out-of-control-says-dsi-ignores-significant-gamer-d/

mike_jmg
April 7th, 2009, 17:22
"Significant gamer demographic groups are being ignored,

Of course

So who's being ignored? People who really love God of War, perhaps.

Yes, I'm being ignored

Not like I care much about it:p, after all, I abandoned the Nintendo ship a long time ago

JLF65
April 7th, 2009, 22:21
The DS comes out with 2, maybe 3, "adult" titles every YEAR, and skads of kiddified shovelware. Doesn't seem like it targets older folks to me... looks like a kid's toy, and that's just what the Sony rep was pointing out.

Art
April 7th, 2009, 23:56
Support for the PSP sux just as bad! :D

Shadowblind
April 8th, 2009, 00:34
The thing is, unlike Sony, Nintendo can choose to ignore gamer's this generation. Sony tried that, didn't work too well with the PS3 price; but they tried to fix it.

Nintendo is happy as long as everybody and their grandma buys the same handheld, for what now, the 3rd time? It doesn't bother them if their major fans aren't buying it.

apex05
April 8th, 2009, 01:13
Is this supposed to be some kind of trash talk from Koller? I wish i could shovel in that kind of money by ignoring people, i'd be happy to ignore him.

staticshade
April 8th, 2009, 11:34
hoow nintendo managaged to make every girl and her mother's mother buy ds's and wii's i will never know but any male parent/gamer who buys their kid a ds deserves a slap. come on sony more psp games make it a real mans console

belialone
April 8th, 2009, 11:44
^^how can sony make the psp a mans console??^

im not sure that any console could be considered a mans console unless the only games are strip poker
and beer drinking unlimited(a game i invented, you got to drink as much beer as can until you pass out:D)
psp should be for everybody