PDA

View Full Version : SanDisk announces cheaper, sooner 4GB Memory Stick PRO Duo

wraggster
February 28th, 2006, 02:00
Source - PSPVault (http://www.psp-vault.com/Article499.psp)

This doesn't come as a huge surprise given SanDisk's Memory Stick Duo/PRO Duo products have typically been cheaper than Sony's, but they have also announced a 4GB Memory Stick PRO Duo.

According to the press release, this one will be available for a retail price of $239.99 in March. Not only is that cheaper than Sony's offering, it's sooner.
I guess it's also worth pointing out that these cards are in SanDisk's "Ultra II" line, which is geared towards professional photographers. There's a chance SanDisk may also introduce a 4GB Memory Stick PRO Duo in their "normal" line. SanDisk's current price structure indicates their "normal" sticks are, on the average, 25% cheaper than their Ultra II sticks -- if we apply the same pricing system in this situation, a "normal" SanDisk 4GB Memory Stick PRO Duo should go for something like like $179.99.

Competition is good eh, now which would you choose out of the 4GB Memory card, Datels 4gb Hard Drive and the Neo5in1 4GB ?

kyle2194
February 28th, 2006, 02:05
It depends. I think the datel hard drive is moslty out of the battle. So its in between the 5in1 and the memory stick. If you have a 4 gig memory stick sd card, or microdrive, the 5in1 could be significantly cheaper, and if i spraypainted it black, it would probobly be lovly looking and feel nice on my psp. But then if you are planning to keep the outer dimensions of your psp the same, the 4 gig pro duo might be your choice. Its all about personal preferance.

Azn_B0y
February 28th, 2006, 02:13
Competition is good eh, now which would you choose out of the 4GB Memory card, Datels 4gb Hard Drive and the Neo5in1 4GB ?[/B]

i have a datel 4gb hard drive :(

Cherry
February 28th, 2006, 02:38
and i just got my 2gig in the mail lol now i gotta get a 4 gig stick

CoderX
February 28th, 2006, 02:52
Ya i sort of pushed them in to a public release date.
They said that they would be relasing this information, publicly today so, cool
Here was my email

Sony has set a release for its 4GB Memory cards for mid July

I was simply wondering what time frame you are looking at for the release
of the 4GB ScanDisk PRO Duo

I would rater have a Scandisk for its high warranty
and faster read/write speed

Scandisk card are superior to Sony's cards.
in a number of ways.

Please Reply
And Thank you for your Time

Sincerely,
LinuxGX

Thanks ScanDisk, you all rule

slayer2psp
February 28th, 2006, 02:55
its all good ill buy the 4gb stick when it hits the 179.99 price point but then again i might just wait for the new psp with camera and 4gb built in or if microsoft comes out with a handheld maybe ill buy that instead becuse you know ms toy will have built in memory

CoderX
February 28th, 2006, 03:03
NM i was responding to a topic that was removed

pspfan
February 28th, 2006, 03:42
Ya i sort of pushed them in to a public release date.
They said that they would be relasing this information, publicly today so, cool
Here was my email

Sony has set a release for its 4GB Memory cards for mid July

I was simply wondering what time frame you are looking at for the release
of the 4GB ScanDisk PRO Duo

I would rater have a Scandisk for its high warranty
and faster read/write speed

Scandisk card are superior to Sony's cards.
in a number of ways.

Please Reply
And Thank you for your Time

Sincerely,
LinuxGX

Thanks ScanDisk, you all rule
CoderX,

Just so you know, it's SanDisk not ScanDisk. I used to think it was ScanDisk, too, though. Next time you email them be sure to use SanDisk :D.

CoderX
February 28th, 2006, 04:29
CoderX,

Just so you know, it's SanDisk not ScanDisk. I used to think it was ScanDisk, too, though. Next time you email them be sure to use SanDisk :D.

OMG I must have looked like a compleat idiot
:( :confused: :( :confused: :(

Sighhhhhhhh!!!!! :eek:

o well :rolleyes:

SanDisk, ok cool iv got it, sad thing is iv been calling them scandisk for 4years.
O boy

Well im a coder not a hardwear expert, lol :p

Voltron
February 28th, 2006, 04:29
Oh man, this is bittersweet. I just bought a new SanDisk 2GB Ultra II Pro Duo and its on its way in the mail. Now not only is SanDisk releasing a 4GB Pro Duo within weeks, but it will be an Ultra II. Price isn't too bad either.

This is by far the best solution for storage on the PSP. It will always be insulting to have to pay so much for a measly 4GB of storage for the PSP which is such a huge multimedia capable device.

When the price is more reasonable, I'm sure people will find this the best choice for their PSP. Its only going to be mostly die hard PSP completists that will find a need for the 2GB & 4GB anyway, and those people don't mind paying the extra $$$. Beats an external solution anyday.

grieverxiii
February 28th, 2006, 05:12
Ah, just as I thought! Way to go SanDisk! Cheaper, faster, sooner than Sony! I wonder about their 8GB stick though because that's what I'm looking forward to...

SanDisk should make the next PSP...it'll cost $150, have a 400Mhz processor, more built in memory, be smaller and come out sooner. The PSP2 Ultra II.

I can dream right? =|

Voltron
February 28th, 2006, 05:32
I wonder about their 8GB stick though because that's what I'm looking forward to...

Yes, same here. 8GB Ultra II Pro Duo compatible in some way with 1.5 and /or 2.00 PSP's. Does anyone know if a workaround to the 4GB cap for the PSP is likely?

kcc86
February 28th, 2006, 05:33
I'm glad these sticks are coming out. Hopefully it'll drop the price of those datel hard drives. I wouldn't mind owning one of those, especially since my hand cramps up when I'm on the psp for too long.

Illegal Machine
February 28th, 2006, 06:45
Drool is dripping out of my mouth and onto my keyboard..

kant tipeee

Connnvulsingggg

shadowprophet
February 28th, 2006, 07:25
Maybe next week sony will release a 4 gig memstick ultra pro plus for 150 :p
That would even be a tempting buy for me :cool:

Illegal Machine
February 28th, 2006, 08:23
I just want it

I have this obsession with having every single rom for every emulator.

maybe I'm mentaly disturbed

pkmusicmaker
February 28th, 2006, 08:26
I just want it

If you are, so am I. But my 2GB fits them all and then some. 4GB seems a little ridiculous, although I know myself and I'll be buying it.

Illegal Machine
February 28th, 2006, 09:00
If you are, so am I. But my 2GB fits them all and then some. 4GB seems a little ridiculous, although I know myself and I'll be buying it.

does it now? I'm running NES, SNES, Genesis, TG-16, atari 2600, Neo Geo CD, and I'm not even close.

I'd settle for complete working lists of Genesis, NES, TG-16, and SNES tho.

shadowprophet
February 28th, 2006, 09:10
I just want it

Thats a whole lot of emulation :p

does it now? I'm running NES, SNES, Genesis, TG-16, atari 2600, Neo Geo CD, and I'm not even close.

Your forgeting sega cd ,3d0, gba is getting better, gamegear, arcade roms, and dont forget n64 , and hopefully psone ,
id say a 4 giger wont cut it bro :P

heck a 100 giger wouldnt cut it lol:p

Illegal Machine
February 28th, 2006, 09:53
Thats a whole lot of emulation :p

Your forgeting sega cd ,3d0, gba is getting better, gamegear, arcade roms, and dont forget n64 , and hopefully psone ,
id say a 4 giger wont cut it bro :P

heck a 100 giger wouldnt cut it lol:p

3d0 isn't available is it?

shadowprophet
February 28th, 2006, 10:28
I never really looked into it. I just assumed it was :)

pkmusicmaker
February 28th, 2006, 17:52

I have SNES, NES, Genesis, Game Gear, and Gameboy color on it and it takes up a little over 1GB. Maybe it's because I zipped each file?

Illegal Machine
March 1st, 2006, 02:03
I have SNES, NES, Genesis, Game Gear, and Gameboy color on it and it takes up a little over 1GB. Maybe it's because I zipped each file?

You have every single rom ever made for all those systems on ONE card?

Im having a hard time believing that you even found/tested every one

Gredler
March 1st, 2006, 06:21

Who'd want 3D0 anyways, that's like saying virtua boy, or Jaguar.. Oh wait, there is a jaguar emu.. nm

Illegal Machine
March 1st, 2006, 06:54
Hey man, if there were a freakin Intellivision emu I would get that fukkker running ASAP.

bet on it.

Id like to see intellivision, 3DO, Coleco, and as many as freakin possible dammit!

I want it ALLLLL

Voltron
March 2nd, 2006, 00:39
http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/Products/130/ultra2-mspd-4gb130.jpg