PDA

View Full Version : PSP Flash Player Released

wraggster
February 28th, 2006, 16:15
Source PSPHacks.net (http://www.psphacks.net/)

71M, in cooperation with RK Digital.net, Heavy.com and Newgrounds.com is proud to present the PSP Flash Player!

The current version supports most action script through version 7 and runs on 1.5 only. We are currently testing for 2.x PSPs and will announce when it is working on 2.x firmwares. If someone gets it working, be sure to let us know.

Source will be released in a couple of days once we get it all cleaned up.

It is still a little bit buggy on flash files which use MP3 sound. PCM sound is fully supported.

MP3 decoding just eats up too much memory right now when decoding the mp3 stream to a raw sound stream so we ask for your paitence.

Also, loading times are being worked on. Basically everything needs to be converted and cached in memory (of which there is not alot available) and this takes a little while.

Consider the current release a "proof of concept" release. Fully functional (smooth video) with a few glitches.

Instructions:

Decompress the downloaded file to your x:\PSP\GAME folder. Flash files can be placed anywhere on your MS. Use the included file browser to locate the flash file you want to view, highlight it, and hit X.

Screenshots & Download via the Comments and Give Feedback

Apoklepz
February 28th, 2006, 17:16
Nice! Have been waiting soooo long for this. Can't wait to get home & try it out. I can't imagine how cool it will be when we start playing games with this homebrew. Another awesome job 71M!

siulmagic
February 28th, 2006, 17:49
iv tried itits ok but file loading is still early styasges trying to load a 1mb file and it taking ages but that dosent matter the fact is this great for psp owners you guys are amazing great jop

Nono-O
February 28th, 2006, 17:49
very good

danknugz
February 28th, 2006, 17:50
looks great, although i havent gotten any of my flash files to load, game files wont work that i have tried, and like they said, any using mp3 sound lag and crash. im sure that this will work itself out as soon as more coders get involved. a great first try!

siulmagic
February 28th, 2006, 17:51
ok been trying fiules with my friend here in my univercity we found that loading files from 100kb to 600kb aproximitly are files you mifght want to play as they load fast enof

pinbi7
February 28th, 2006, 18:09
http://pinbi7.freeservers.com/monster.swf

http://pinbi7.freeservers.com/lapin.swf

http://pinbi7.freeservers.com/happy.swf (haven't tested this one yet,but it has interaction with the mouse)

they where made by me and are very small(perfect for testing) all tho there where no sound when i tried it on PSP

indstr
February 28th, 2006, 18:10
does anybody know if "fly the copter" will work with this?

the game can be found here:

http://www.seethru.co.uk/zine/south_coast/helicopter_game.htm

pinbi7
February 28th, 2006, 18:38
does anybody know if "fly the copter" will work with this?

the game can be found here:

http://www.seethru.co.uk/zine/south_coast/helicopter_game.htm

http://www.seethru.co.uk/zine/south_coast/week13/images/copter.swf

why don't you try it?

10shu
February 28th, 2006, 18:38
best thing ever! ;)
i ve wait a long time for this...
good job guys...

indstr
February 28th, 2006, 18:53
http://www.seethru.co.uk/zine/south_coast/week13/images/copter.swf

why don't you try it?

because i am at work and my psp usb cable is at home so i was hoping somebody would know before i got home :)

pinbi7
February 28th, 2006, 19:05
because i am at work and my psp usb cable is at home so i was hoping somebody would know before i got home :)

good enough for me, :P

no,the game doen't work
it loads fine,but it doesn't register the click to start playing

The_Ultimate_Eggman
February 28th, 2006, 19:34
AT LAST fantastic the holly grail finally appears on the psp cant wait for future releases.

indstr
February 28th, 2006, 19:35
good enough for me, :P

no,the game doen't work
it loads fine,but it doesn't register the click to start playing

does this version of the release come with a way to map mouse clicks and keyboard keys to psp buttons? or will we have to wait for that ?

Lou3D
February 28th, 2006, 20:05
You can map buttions via the xml file. But it seems to be universal, hopefully a future version will be able to have profiles per game.

Also, you can play a similar version of that copter game with lua for psp. It's called Lua cave i think.

indstr
February 28th, 2006, 21:11
You can map buttions via the xml file. But it seems to be universal, hopefully a future version will be able to have profiles per game.

Also, you can play a similar version of that copter game with lua for psp. It's called Lua cave i think.

-Always reserved for mouse button
CROSS val="MOUSE"

those are the default mappings.
so ... if CROSS = "MOUSE", then shouldn't the cross act as the mouse click? why would pinbi7 say it didn't work then ??

Zefrem23
February 28th, 2006, 21:28
For me the holy grail of SWF on PSP would be to be able to watch all my Strong Bad emails from http://www.homestarrunner.com on the PSP... as Strong Bad himself would say, that would be *AWESOME*!!!!

pinbi7
February 28th, 2006, 21:28
-Always reserved for mouse button
CROSS val="MOUSE"

those are the default mappings.
so ... if CROSS = "MOUSE", then shouldn't the cross act as the mouse click? why would pinbi7 say it didn't work then ??

i didin't spend a lot of time on it,but i did try it,and it didin't register the click.
When i pressed the "X" button the cursor went from white to black tho

mog
February 28th, 2006, 21:45
awww, it really doesnt work on fw 1.0 either... was hoping it would work as, like usual, the description doesn't say anything about 1.0 users :(

grin.ch
February 28th, 2006, 22:15
i don't know what this flashplayer thing is... what is meant by "the game loads fine"? Is there a way to download and install these games, or do you have to play via usb?

MaxSMoke
February 28th, 2006, 22:36
I can't get it to Click by pressing "X" in that Copter game. I tried to run that ragdoll demo called "tetka.swf", but that caused an IMMEDIATE system crash. My PSP totally hard booted after displaying some text about an Exception Error. Too bad, as it's fun to watch and is only 45k.

jman420
February 28th, 2006, 22:45
This has to be the most awesome thing to hit psp, but you still cant watch Strong Bad emails, or Teen Girl Squad epesodes :( still . . . its an awesome start for flash viewing :D especialy if it can advance to include mp3, and game playabilty, that could add a whole new psp game programming scene :D

grin.ch
February 28th, 2006, 22:59
I would guess though, that you can go and download flash games and use this SWF dealio to load the games. So it's pretty much no holds barred now... I just haven't heard much on this topic, that's why I am kinda in the dark to this release.

b8a
March 1st, 2006, 00:17
Much like everyone else, my first thought was "WOW, this is great", I wanted to be like "So, now that someone else has done all of the hard work, how long until Sony officially incorporates this into a firmware update?". But, I downloaded it and tried it out with some of my own files, and the results of my trials was: this still has a long way to go. I'm not trying to put this project down, I love it, and it's great to know what the people behind the awesome FileAssistant++ have been up to for the past few months, but most of the work I do on a daily basis is in Flash, so I can guarantee that the files I tested are not only fully flash v.7 compliant, they're fully flash v.6 compliant, and in many cases don't even require more than v.5. And on top of that, none of the files were over 250k, with most being well under 20k.

Most of the files I tried locked up the PSP, requiring a hard reset. Some ran but didn't display anything, others ran but quickly crashed (like a multi key framed animation which was actually the larest file I tried). I never got any interactive features to work and it actually seems like the vector rendering has gotten much worse since the last version we saw with the latest release of FileAsssistant++. Everything that I got to acutally display was very, very jaggy.

Like I said, I'm not trying to knock this release as it's deffinately a step in the right direction and would be AWESOME to have (the simple vector picture files --no animation, no actionScript-- I put on the memory stick took only a couple of meg of space whereas their raster counterparts, such as jpg, would've required well over 20MB), but I really don't see what progress this has made since the FileAssistant++ version. It's still VERY much a proof of concept, so I think it was a little premature to end the contest. That is, unless of course, nobody else was making any better progress on it and the prize money (wasn't it over $2500?) will help 71M finish this into a fully functioning, reliable program. As he was the first one to widely release ANY functioning version of Flash, I deffinitely think he deserves serious kudos, if not the prize money, for that alone.

If there are more specific guidelines that the SWF's need to conform to, I'd love to hear about them. Also, if there are any other Flash developers on this board who have tried this, I'd like to hear what your experiences with this have been.

The_Lead_Factor
March 1st, 2006, 01:29
Ive tried simply tweening two circles to move left and right across the screen....it looked like absolute bull crap!
Its still good and all that you managed to do this 71M, but like b8a said its still only a proof of concept and has amazing potential.

Illegal Machine
March 1st, 2006, 02:01
it looks a lot like fileassistant from the pics.

I wonder if this is gong to be part of an eventual update for FA++

god I hope so. I love that program

Junior
March 1st, 2006, 02:21
I guess I'm the only one shrugging and wondering why most everyone is so very happy about a flash player. Neat technical accomplishment, but I see absolutely no use for anything remotely interesting, personally.

thebritons
March 1st, 2006, 02:49
this is sweet. i havnt gotten my favorite flash games to play- but its a great acomplishment

indstr
March 1st, 2006, 03:32
I guess I'm the only one shrugging and wondering why most everyone is so very happy about a flash player. Neat technical accomplishment, but I see absolutely no use for anything remotely interesting, personally.

because once the program is developed a bit more and inputs are working, it opens up a whole new WORLD of playable games. tens of thousands of them. most of them suck, but there are good ones too, that have been out long before PSP was around and are developed independently of it. i think that's awesome :D

Cap'n 1time
March 1st, 2006, 14:37
Havnt gotten much to load. Crazy Car on ng loads, but as it requires flash 8 you cant do much with it.. perhapes when the source is released some people can help improve this. Amazing work none the less.

ClintiePoo
March 1st, 2006, 23:33
Does this mean that we can play the Xbox Live 360 Games on the PSP now? They are flash (.swf) files.

IndianCheese
March 2nd, 2006, 00:19
Havnt gotten much to load. Crazy Car on ng loads, but as it requires flash 8 you cant do much with it.. perhapes when the source is released some people can help improve this. Amazing work none the less.

Just get Sothink SWF Decompiler, save the FLA, open it in Flash and save it as Flash 7.

b8a
March 2nd, 2006, 01:13
Does this mean that we can play the Xbox Live 360 Games on the PSP now? They are flash (.swf) files.

Good luck. This still has a lot of problems opening simple files with no animation and no interaction.

Just get Sothink SWF Decompiler, save the FLA, open it in Flash and save it as Flash 7.

Decompiling flash files should probably be a forbidden topic here as it's the same thing as decompiling/reverse engineering commercial PSP games. Some developers may not care, but this is a big problem in the Flash community, just as it is in the PSP community. Additionally, Flash 8 was a major update, so simply saving a file as Flash 7 probably won't work unless the code is clean of new features.