PDA

View Full Version : Customer finds ecstasy pills in pre-owned GTAIV box

wraggster
April 9th, 2009, 11:56
A consumer has discovered pills, believed to be ecstasy tablets, inside the box of a pre-owned copy of Grand Theft Auto IV.

Richard Thornhill bought the title from a Gamestation store in Gloucestershire and found the pills inside the box - wrapped in cling film - which he delivered to a nearby police station.

He was offered an apology by the store, but expressed his fear over concerns that his 12 year-old son or 16 year-old daughter could have been harmed.

"When I opened the box up, the cling film wrap fell out. I could not believe it," he told the Telegraph. "I have two children and my son plays Xbox all the time. He could easily have opened the box and found them.

"I dread to think what the consequences would have been if he had. He is only 12. He could have died.

"It was a pre-used game, but that should not make a difference," he said. "My wife is beside herself over this because she keeps thinking about what could have happened and so do I."

Gamestation commented: "We have rigorous procedures for accepting pre-owned titles and checking them before they are put back on sale.

"We have launched an immediate investigation and we will work closely with police to find out what happened in this instance. It would be inappropriate to comment further until the police investigation is complete."

Gloucestershire police said: "We have collected the tablets and will be destroying them at a later date. It is likely that they are ecstasy pills.

"We are now conducting enquiries to see if it can be established who brought them into the store."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/customer-finds-ecstasy-pills-in-pre-owned-gtaiv-box

Sonny_Jim
April 9th, 2009, 13:27
"I dread to think what the consequences would have been if he had. He is only 12. He could have died.

No he wouldn't. MDMA is a relatively safe drug, the only mainstream death (Leah Betts) was due to her insane water consumption (18 pints in an hour), not from the drug itself.

mib_
April 9th, 2009, 13:32
I'm more alarmed by the parent allowing a minor to play a cert18 game.. FFS! The game is rated 18 for a reason! idiot parents.

Mc_Logical
April 9th, 2009, 13:52
No he wouldn't. MDMA is a relatively safe drug, the only mainstream death (Leah Betts) was due to her insane water consumption (18 pints in an hour), not from the drug itself. Yeah ecstacy stops the kidneys from functioning right and too much fluid can result in drowning the brain *hemeridge* but isn't this a double crime? Gta for a 12 year old, 2 birds with one stone lol

Ennohex
April 9th, 2009, 13:52
It just goes to show that X-Box leads to drugs... now, if it was the PS3 equivalent of the game, the user would have less expendable income to spend on ... erm... other entertainment.

But seriously? How trippy would one have to be to lose your stash like that?
Idiots

And TRUE about the rating, pops should look at the games his kids are playing.

mike_jmg
April 9th, 2009, 14:15
Gamestation commented: "We have rigorous procedures for accepting pre-owned titles and checking them before they are put back on sale.

Then one of Gamestation employees stupidly lost his stash and probably his job.

Also 12 y/o kid should not be allowed to play GTA IV, stupid parents

Then again it's a used game, didn't he checked the disc for scratches, see how bad it was before he actually bought it

apex05
April 9th, 2009, 14:44
Has no-one thought it could have been one of the gamestation staff that put it in? A lot of the people i seen working there are bitter surly teenagers.

gumgod
April 9th, 2009, 14:50
Then one of Gamestation employees stupidly lost his stash and probably his job.

Also 12 y/o kid should not be allowed to play GTA IV, stupid parents

Then again it's a used game, didn't he checked the disc for scratches, see how bad it was before he actually bought it

I don't understand how this happened at our local gamestop almost all of the actual disks are behind the counter, especially popular games like GTA only the cases are on the shelves. Which means that they have to open the case in the store to put the disk in it.

I agree this was most likely an employee of gamestop in my opinion something like... the boss is coming quick put that away.... or maybe he was using the gamestop as a cover to traffic drugs lol.

What's funny though is this will probably be used by the media as another reason why GTA is bad. LOL Stupid Media....

Edit --

I now see that this is "Gamestation" not "Gamestop"

phrozenfeonix
April 9th, 2009, 19:03
Or maybe it's the 16 year old girl's stash, if she had a chance to hide it there?

that1guywiththeface
April 9th, 2009, 21:07
That sounds a lot more fun than the prizes that come in cereal!! ;)

darkriku2000
April 10th, 2009, 05:06
I think that one of the employees probably put it in there to hide it for whatever reason.

Also I STRONGLY disagree with all this ranting, first of all, if a kid plays a rated M game under supervision than it shouldn't cause any problems (plus at 12, you should already know that shooting people is a no-no), also, it sounds like the dad bought this game for himself, it seems more like he's worried about if the kid ACCIDENTALLY got his hands on it

ICE
April 10th, 2009, 06:42
Forget the drugs. The parents nearly gave a 12 year old GTA IV. Who knows what could have happened. The death toll from vehicular homicide could have been massive.

devdj
April 10th, 2009, 13:16
i lol'ed at this i would have just kept the pills for myself and either use them or sell them but letting your kid play gta 4 is a big no no and saying that the kid could have died is just another way of condeming MDMA not eveyone who takes it dies duh it depends on how pure it is

Spotfist
April 10th, 2009, 19:51
The people at Gamestation or the previous owner where just helping the new one out! They would no doubt be buying there own E's within a few months anyway... Everyone knows that playing games like this automatically turn you into pill popping, gun slinging, musderers?!?!?! I have played every GTA and am now a prostitute, constantly on drugs and I shoot people all the time!

I bets that what the press will be saying soon...! hehe

kaferenza
April 11th, 2009, 06:54
I don't see a problem here. I'd call that a bonus. Its like going to a McDonald's, ordering a cheeseburger, and finding an extra cherry pie in your bag when you get home. Ungrateful smegs.

LHorse007
April 11th, 2009, 17:30
What I want to know is what is he doing letting a 12 year old have access to a Mature rated game? I'm pretty sure that game is rated 18+ in UK. Now I can see if it had been in a case for Viva Pinata! :rofl:

nocultureicons
April 11th, 2009, 23:53
Well I think the pills belonged to the girl and 'daddy' was too stupid to realise it. She had a lucky escape...

wolfpack
April 12th, 2009, 08:26
Ermm.... It doesnt matter whether a 12 yr old was playing this kind of game or not. Hell, I was playing these type of games when I was 12 and theres nothing wrong with me. Ratings are BS to me anyways. Just shows me on a scale how graphic it might be. Anyways, as for the ecstasy pills, the store clerk shouldve noticed this in the first place, he shouldve opened the box and inspected everything...unless if the ex was the store clerks in the first place, then thats some very screwed up stuff right there >>_>>