PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X Help

splodger15
April 10th, 2009, 11:15
Hello,

I recently installed Mac OS X on my Sony Vaio VGN FW11E laptop. I am having some trouble with the wireless on it I cannot seem to find the Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 5100 driver for Mac anywhere. I know there is a few of you Mac users on here any chance you can send me in the right direction.

Cheers guys

beetroot bertie
April 10th, 2009, 21:41
Wow. Didn't even know you could install OS X on a PC. Then again I'm still on 10.3.9 :(

I can't really help but maybe since OS X uses Airport etc for wireless functions it just can't find the wireless components. Most Apple software is geared around the specific hardware too so it might be that it just won't work fully. I'm not speaking from experience, just guessing as I didn't think you could install OSX on any other pooter apart from a Mac.

/curiously goes off the read about OS X on PCs...

the_eternal_dark
April 11th, 2009, 09:06
splodger15, have you checked the insanely Mac forums yet?

I bet you could probably use some sort of BSD driver for that card, since Mac IS BSD underneath the fluff.

beetroot_bertie, read up on http://www.osx86project.org/

Zack
April 21st, 2009, 20:33
Hello,

I recently installed Mac OS X on my Sony Vaio VGN FW11E laptop. I am having some trouble with the wireless on it I cannot seem to find the Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 5100 driver for Mac anywhere. I know there is a few of you Mac users on here any chance you can send me in the right direction.

Cheers guys

Hey Splodger.

I set this up for my mate and I and had the same problem. What I did is buy a Belkin F5D7050 Wireless USB dongle and installed the driver which I have attached below (choose the 10.5 version after mounting *). * = Don't worry it works on 10.6 too ;)

I have the same wireless card in my laptop and as far as I have read, it seems like it is going to be a while before it is supported.

I think this adapter is only about a tenner so it's a good stop gap solution for the time being.

(Driver attached below for you)

Note : You will need to restart your laptop after installing it, and possibly plug the adapter in and out of several usb ports until you find one that works. When you get it right, "ethernet connection detected" will pop up in finder and should be viewable from network. Then go to the belkin wireless utility (found in applications) and providing the adapter shows up in the list of devices click "connect". Then enter your wpa key and your good to go :)

Happy hunting. :)

emu-gamer
April 25th, 2009, 11:07
Don't you get it on the apple homepage? They must have it somewhere there...