PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler or no intercooler?, that is the question

mike_jmg
April 13th, 2009, 22:02
I bought my Xbox 360 from my cousin, she gave it to me for cheap cause it was RRODed and I sent it to Microsoft for repair.

It is one of the first models that came out, no HDMI port etc., For now it works fine and everything but A guy who repairs Xbox 360s told me it would be a good Idea to buy an intercooler.

I've been reading a lot of reviews and I'm still puzzled wether to buy or don't buy the Intercooler, not because of the price, cause there are really cheap ones (Nyko). But mostly cause people say it will bring more issues than the ones it solves.

So in your experience, what do you say 360 users, Intercooler or no intercooler?

thanks in advance for your responses

mike_jmg
April 28th, 2009, 05:36
After further investigations and the lack of responses. I've decided my 360 is better off without the damn intercooler cause it already has a nice air flow and remains cooler than my HDTV :p

WhizzBang
April 28th, 2009, 17:56
I bought one of them and it certainly made my XBox a lot cooler but it also made it louder so I ended up taking it off.

beetroot bertie
April 29th, 2009, 23:03
I bought one of them fan stands that blows air up through the base of a vertically stood 360. I think it does it cool the machine but whether it makes any difference is debatable as I still got RRoD.

Here's an article from '06 about the fans capabilities, comparing the Intercooler to a Pelican fan stand which might be of interest to some:

http://console.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA5MiwyLCxoY29uc29sZQ==

mike_jmg
May 1st, 2009, 08:34
you got the fan stand right?

That might be why you got RROD, cause it was using the unit's usb port to power up.

See, Xbox is getting hot, fan starts to work, xbox gets hotter, fan draws more power to keep it cool, but power goes through the Xbox first, making it even hotter and so on, til it gets RROD.

Maybe if you could plug it separately on a usb charger or something, it would work

also
What do you think of my standar? hehe, I really believe that if it remains cooler than my HDTV it should be fine, cause in the end the HDTV is more delicate.

beetroot bertie
May 1st, 2009, 09:57
My fan stand is one by Madcatz so it has it's own power supply adapter, so I doubt it is why I got RRoD. I think it is more to do with design/manufacturing decisions of MS. They fixed it promptly at their own cost, so I'm not gonna grumble too much. I'd like to think that whatever they did in the repair shop should prevent it happening again but time will tell.

Like you say, if the airflow is good and the unit isn't too hot I would hope it would be OK. Just don't put it in a cabinet with closed doors and little ventilation. I bought the fan stand out of worry and it still didn't prevent the RRoD. Perhaps it stalled it's onset, who knows?

Not quite sure about the comparison to the HDTV as they're 2 totally different products. Your TV might be 'delicate' but it's probably been designed to withstand or effectively dissipate the heat it generates.

pibs
May 1st, 2009, 10:39
you got the fan stand right?

That might be why you got RROD, cause it was using the unit's usb port to power up.

See, Xbox is getting hot, fan starts to work, xbox gets hotter, fan draws more power to keep it cool, but power goes through the Xbox first, making it even hotter and so on, til it gets RROD.

Maybe if you could plug it separately on a usb charger or something, it would work

also
What do you think of my standar? hehe, I really believe that if it remains cooler than my HDTV it should be fine, cause in the end the HDTV is more delicate.

When you sent in your 360, it most likely got the extra heatsink added, maybe if lucky, they replaced the fans or disc drive but I hardly doubt it. Anyways if your crazy like me, you can void your warranty and install the talismoon whisper max fans, they work great! Another thing I suggest is upgrading your 20gb hdd to 120gb since you probably have no game saves since you just got it, it will be a cinch.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=660096

Installing the games to the HDD will dramatically decrease the consoles heat.

Good Luck:thumbup:

mike_jmg
May 6th, 2009, 03:34
I really doubt about the second heatsink, cause a friend who repairs Xbox 360s told me that if I didn't got the HDMI port it was very likely that they didn't put the second heatsink

I'm not sure about the HDD, since I've only seen 60 Gb ones around here and they're kind of expensive. Don't know, I'll think about it

thanks for your replies

djkluke
May 28th, 2009, 09:56
NO AND NO THEY BURN UR POWER CORD USB ECT ITS BAD IT GIVE RROD FOR GOOD

-Djkluke

P.S Don't