PDA

View Full Version : John Madden Retires

wraggster
April 16th, 2009, 19:27
The end of a broadcast era was announced today, as John Madden announced his retirement from broadcasting. In a statement released by NBC Sports, Madden said, "It's time. I'm 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and their five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I'm home and, more importantly, when I'm not. ... It's been a great ride."

John Madden has been a fixture in the sports world for more than four decades, starting his football career as a linebacker coach at the Oakland Raiders in 1967. Two years later, he was named the head coach of the Raiders, and eventually led the team to seven AFC West titles as well as a victory over the Vikings in Super Bowl XI. His overall coaching record of 103-32-7 is still a record for any coach in NFL history with a win percentage of .750.

After his retirement in 1979, he joined CBS as a broadcaster, where he worked until 1994. When CBS lost broadcast rights to NFL games, he switched to Fox and worked there until 2002, when he became the lead analyst for ABC's Monday Night Football. When NBC took over the primetime Sunday night game in 2006, he switched networks for the final time. His last broadcast game was Super Bowl XLIII between Arizona and Pittsburgh. Over his entire career as an analyst, Madden also managed to win sixteen Emmys for Outstanding Sports Analyst/Personality, and was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006. Replacing John Madden in the booth at NBC with Al Michaels will be Cris Collinsworth, who has filled in for Madden this past year.

Madden has also had a significant impact on the gaming world. The Madden NFL Football franchise is widely known to be the top selling sports series of all time, and recently celebrated its twentieth installment. But what does Madden's retirement mean to the acclaimed franchise from EA Sports? Will it continue in the same format, or will it change to reflect the exit of the legendary analyst? Will he even be connected with the title going forward? We've contacted EA for a comment, and we'll continue to bring updates to the story as it becomes available. In the meantime, be sure to check out our History of Madden feature to see Madden's impact on the gaming landscape

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/973/973517p1.html