PDA

View Full Version : Halo/Iris mod being ceased...

PSPdemon
March 5th, 2006, 00:11
Hi,

As you can read from the topic, I am ceaseing all work on my Halo mod for Iris... I really didnt want to cease work but when i recieved a message the other day, I decided not to push for the possibility of having a lawsuit on hand.

The message i received the other day was talking about how i might have been violating the companys ip ( Microsofts IP for that matter, which makes it even worse... ).
I dont want to hurt the psp scene or this site, so just to stay out of trouble id rather just stop then to go on...i will still want to contribute to the scene...but not by making my mod...
I am however, going to try to still make something for Iris ( still trying to think of somthing ) that is unique... and not based on something that is already out...

I will ( hopefully ) have 2 tutorials out for Iris... one for how to convert the model textures and another on how to convert your favorite hl models to md2 format...

anyway, i am sorry that i do have to cease my work... trust me, after working on this for 3 months and having about 3 gigs worth of model trials, pictures, and program downloads ( plus buying the game to use as a referance. ) ... its kinda upsetting that I cant go on any farther :( though it does get me to try to do something new :)

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

P.S. i still thank everyone who has helped me in my mod... i especially have to thanks PSmonkey, MGFox, Produkt and BrokenWing for thier support :) its always nice to see good people helping out those who want to do somthing :D

PSmonkey
March 5th, 2006, 03:12
Yeah its sad to see this happen.

Yet on the bright side I have extended an open inventation for PSPdemon to join the iris team to create original characters for the main game. Iris has MGFox & Produkt which help make it great with original maps. We just need that last bit to make original characters we can all get attached to.

:)

TheEmulatorGuy
March 5th, 2006, 03:22
Unless the letter was from Microsoft, there is no real risk. There are alot of these projects going on, and unless Iris is being sold, there's no problem at hand. I suggest you continue work.

Jpdeathblade
March 5th, 2006, 04:14
Ture copyright laws are so you dont copy the game and sell it for profit. If i got a lawsuit every time i went outside and played Halo with that lazer tag thing i would be in jail for life...6 times!

Legaly you can do whatever you want and make any kind of game as long as it is not for profit. Continue on...I cant wait to play it.

Off Topic: Can you jump in the game? On that note is it going to be in the game at all?

PSPdemon
March 5th, 2006, 05:10
Invitation is accepted :D

I would love to help make models for you... I live and breath now game modeling!!! its all I do...

Anyway, what are you looking for in a model, give me some ideas and ill work somthing out ( I'll draw a few scetches at school and see what i can come up with... then if you like them, ill put it in and starting modeling right away :D ). pm me the ideas and i will get started on it

also, the email i got came from bungie/microsoft... and i talk to a represenitive about as well... so i cant ( as much as i hate to say this... ) make the mod that i wanted to... so i am very sorry about that. :(

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

DPyro
March 5th, 2006, 05:36
As long as you don't use the Halo brand name, then I don't see any problem with continueing with your mod. Maybe you can make it slightly different, Microsoft can't sue you for something not related to them.

feedback_bsr
March 5th, 2006, 08:17
As long as you don't use the Halo brand name, then I don't see any problem with continueing with your mod. Maybe you can make it slightly different, Microsoft can't sue you for something not related to them.

Yes you can, the makers of Boudokai for PS2, and creators of DBZ put a cease and desist on the DBZ mod for Q3Arena called Bid For Power.

It's their intellectuial property, so they can tell people to not copy it when they like, even if it's not for profit.

b8a
March 5th, 2006, 11:07
That's too bad to hear, this was looking pretty good.

Just weighing in on the IP issue, but according to this article:
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
If you just parodied or criticized the original game in your mod, then Microsoft/Bungie might not have a leg to stand on. This is an article about US law though, and I don't know where you're based. But this isn't to say that I encourage you to test them!! A lot of people tend to think that just because they wouldn't win, that they couldn't make your life heck in the process. I'd err on the side of caution as well, I personally don't have that kind of energy!! Good luck with your future works!

Jpdeathblade
March 5th, 2006, 20:21
So credit them for the game idea, levels, and characters
Then they cant do nothing really. I mean look at newground!

PSPdemon
March 6th, 2006, 02:35
Ill look into it some more... Ill contact some people from bungie and see what i can do about making my Halo/Iris mod come back to life, i would love to continue work on it...

give me about 3 days and ill try to work something out... Ill tell everyone the results.

Thanks for Everyone,
PSPdemon

Kaiser
March 6th, 2006, 02:57
Ill look into it some more... Ill contact some people from bungie and see what i can do about making my Halo/Iris mod come back to life, i would love to continue work on it...

give me about 3 days and ill try to work something out... Ill tell everyone the results.

Thanks for Everyone,
PSPdemon

As far as what Microsoft wants, they just don't want the Halo name on anything Sony. Meaning the reply you'd get would probably be a long winded rant trying to discourage you from making anything close to "Halo". So it be best just to research your legal limits to making the mod and go from there.

glitch
March 13th, 2006, 20:35
On the other hand if you would like to make a mod that is very unique then do TRIGUN =) I would love to see a good mod of Trigun, just remember Vash only uses rubber bullets!

Shilo
March 14th, 2006, 00:14
You can call the mod Olah. Just a thought:)

Razor Blade
March 14th, 2006, 05:29
OMG Shilo, I was thinking the exact same thing. Just name it something else, change the textures and look, while maintaining the feel of the Halo series. *cough* Ripoff *cough* I think that would make everyone happy :p

PSPdemon
March 15th, 2006, 03:30
Nah... i like doing things for PSmonkey.... and i cant wait till the new "mdk" for Iris comes out, because i have been having problems with the maps for a long LONG time...

I look at it this way, the mod i was making was a good learning curve... it got me to learn alot about how models are made and taught me how i can pretty much convert just about any model type to the supported model format :D

Plus i also learned what the limitations on the engine were... if the textures where to high quality or if the models were to big... it would slow the game down tremendously... so all is not lost, just means ill be making somthing else :)

i am thinking about making somthing that is new, not from some movie show or game thats already been put out... just making the design is the only long process...

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

PS... I CANT WAIT TILL THE NEW VERSION OF IRIS!!!

glitch
March 15th, 2006, 05:39
Nah... i like doing things for PSmonkey.... and i cant wait till the new "mdk" for Iris comes out, because i have been having problems with the maps for a long LONG time...

I look at it this way, the mod i was making was a good learning curve... it got me to learn alot about how models are made and taught me how i can pretty much convert just about any model type to the supported model format :D

Plus i also learned what the limitations on the engine were... if the textures where to high quality or if the models were to big... it would slow the game down tremendously... so all is not lost, just means ill be making somthing else :)

i am thinking about making somthing that is new, not from some movie show or game thats already been put out... just making the design is the only long process...

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

PS... I CANT WAIT TILL THE NEW VERSION OF IRIS!!!

hint hint Trigun =) *COUGH* TRIGUN!!!! It is a really good anime, no movie here and would you like to google for a Trigun game? You'd be very fit to be tied cuz I have a hell of time trying to find one, actually a few days ago I finally found a Trigun flash game...... but come on what kind of game is Catch the Donuts with Vash o0...... I want me some rubber bullets, shoot the donuts would have been funner.

Shilo
March 15th, 2006, 16:51
ummmm.......... sorry to go off topic but............. were did my other post go?

DPyro
March 15th, 2006, 17:51
ummmm.......... sorry to go off topic but............. were did my other post go?
This message has been deleted by Kaiser. Reason: Ugh stop post whoring :p

Shilo
March 15th, 2006, 23:00
Ya, PSmonkey PMed me and said I need to chill. And I do. Sorry! I'll stop:)

PSPHax0r9
March 16th, 2006, 02:05
Hello, everyone, I'm here from PSPUpdates. I just want to say thank you PSmonkey for all your hard work on this great game. :D

Well I was just wondering, about this Halo mod. I'm sure tons of people would absolutely love a halo mod (especially for Iris 0.2 with wifi multiplayer). I think you should keep working on it, could you just remove any copyrighted images and names? Or is this too against the law? I would REALLY love to see this mod work out; it would make a great game even better. Anyway, thanks for your hard work also eben though it looks like you probably will be stopping after all... :o

Kaiser
March 16th, 2006, 02:15
Ya, PSmonkey PMed me and said I need to chill. And I do. Sorry! I'll stop:)

Yeah I deleted about 10 or so of your posts. But you seem like a good guy and you've learned your lesson.

Well I was just wondering, about this Halo mod. I'm sure tons of people would absolutely love a halo mod (especially for Iris 0.2 with wifi multiplayer). I think you should keep working on it, could you just remove any copyrighted images and names? Or is this too against the law? I would REALLY love to see this mod work out; it would make a great game even better. Anyway, thanks for your hard work also eben though it looks like you probably will be stopping after all...

I recognize your name from that brief period I visited PSPU when PSMonkey started his protest. You seem like a cool guy and PSPDemon may hit me with a fish for mentioning this but I'll just drop a hint that the work on the Halo mod won't be wasted. He's also been working on a number of neat things for PSmonkey. I think I've said enough. *Runs away*

PSPdemon
March 16th, 2006, 02:21
Hello, everyone, I'm here from PSPUpdates. I just want to say thank you PSmonkey for all your hard work on this great game.

Well I was just wondering, about this Halo mod. I'm sure tons of people would absolutely love a halo mod (especially for Iris 0.2 with wifi multiplayer). I think you should keep working on it, could you just remove any copyrighted images and names? Or is this too against the law? I would REALLY love to see this mod work out; it would make a great game even better. Anyway, thanks for your hard work also eben though it looks like you probably will be stopping after all...

You are not the only one out there that was wanting the mod either, i really want to continue...but the way things sound, they dont want me releaseing anything related to the halo world or anything that could possibly resemble it ( which destroys the whole, in my words,point of having the halo mod... )...

the whole point of it is that they dont like me putting their #1 game for xbox on a competitors console... which really kinda sucks... But as i said before, i take this as being a good learning curve on character design :)

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

EDIT: Thats right... Run Away... Run fast!!!! that fish is coming right at you :D

Wally
March 16th, 2006, 03:33
I would say bungie allows it.

Maybe instead of Halo Characters use marathons original characters. As that game is now Freeware and Open source (Would LOVE to see this on PSP)

Otherwise tehre are plenty of other characters/maps

For example
Duke 3d
super Mario 64 -w00t-
James Bond

Characters could be
Sonic The hedgehog
Mario -_-
A colony of ants?
The grim reaper
Daffy Duck

Yeah plenty to choose from :D

glitch
March 16th, 2006, 04:38
ok here is what ya need to do, continue with what you were doing and just swap out the model textures, and names and keep similar weapons. And let the community take care of the rest and they'll fix it. Dunno if you saw what happened with BFP but FUNi told the team to stop but they kept on going but they did take out all the offending models and textures, however they did get leaked and the community added in a BUNCH of maps and models and everything else from the DBZ universe. BFP by and large still became the dbz game it was meant to be, but it never got the story mode and everything else originally planned.

Jpdeathblade
March 17th, 2006, 00:39
i say make it...they dont stop modders and they dont stop privit srveres (i know i played a runescape and WoW)

Produkt
March 18th, 2006, 15:30
Have any of you fellas heard of Incomming Source?

its a mod for Half-Life 2 (not yet released) which basicly is a halo clone with additions that the modders wanted!...

they altered everything just enough to avoid copyright laws...

If you guys feal like you are up to It I'll help you organize this, but I'm not really a halo fan so I cant spend too much time on it.

glitch
March 18th, 2006, 18:22
pc = x86 = windows = microsoft

psp = sony = .................................................. .....

anyways, I rarely read my email so if I did somethin some company did not like they'd have to contact me personally. And I give out 0 personally identifing information.... so you it would be practically impossible unless they felt like spending a lot of money and effort into tracking me down. I would imagine the easiest thing for them to do is try and contact the forum I visit for an IP address then track me to my ISP then get my ISP to give me my address, however I am on a shared wireless mesh network meaning there are probably like 50 of us on the same IP address lol, as far as websites know.

Produkt
March 18th, 2006, 20:38
The DO stop modders on manny occasions... but its usualy the good efforted and popular ones they go after

its called a cease and desist order.

Work untill you get there best of luck, and I'll teach you how to map for iris.

Glitch... you dont make much sence... the PC is x86 yes... but there isnt just windows as an OS... theres the millions of Linux distros aswell... I always have a copy of knoppix with me... so meh!

PC modifacations usualy get more popularity and support making thim easyer to see homebrew is a much smaller audience... so its not as easy to spot attempt anything you want.

glitch
March 18th, 2006, 21:43
I freakin know what linux is and I use it often, but that was not the point I was trying to make and if you really want to you can run os x on x86 too, I have it set up as a dual boot option here on my laptop as I type.

Flipao
March 18th, 2006, 22:33
Hey, there's no reason to stop work on the mod, simply rename it and remove Halo stuff from it.

The best example is Bid for Power. BFP began life as a Dragon Ball Z mod until a cease and desist letter was received, they thought about quitting, but instead simply changed their name and made some new models...

Produkt
March 18th, 2006, 23:53
Any one interested in forming up a team for this please PM me with what you wish to do.

If you dont know how to map or texture that I can teach... if you pm me and say you wanna do menus I'll find out a way to hit you...

*** I'm only doing this to help set something up I dont wanna be a part of this!***

CatfishD
March 22nd, 2006, 03:51
It would be good to make a Counter-Strike for PSP using Iris (NOT DOOM!). The doom one's suck :(

glitch
March 22nd, 2006, 04:22
depending on how good the tools are for mapping and modeling for Iris which I dunno cuz I have not even played it yet I would be interested in making a Trigun game.... however between college and work I have no idea when I can even imagine taking on an actual project. Last semester I took on like 3 of my own projects simultaneously and I failed 3 courses out of 4 lol..... so umm yea....

A man gotta have a tricked out MAME Arcade, a projector with an 80" light fusion screen(specailly coated silver/white spray painted mirror) and an online computer repair business........... sadly not one of those projects did I complete due to going back and retaking my failed courses immediately there after ;_;

Bit off more than I can chew so this semester I am very lazy with my personal life and more committed to my classes. I am just fraid if I get started in another project I will become too consumed by it or them to the breaking point again.

Produkt
March 22nd, 2006, 20:54
Anyone Seriously considering working on a modifacation for iris we'd like you to contact us, right now it Looks like I'm ModPR...

We dont run the project like a fulltime job, we realize everyone has a fulltime life and this is part time fun. Basicly we are looking for people interested in creating content for Iris.

We offer training on how to create such content (you must have pre-existing modeling experience... it cannot be taught in a reasonable amount of time) please just PM me if you wish to learn how to properly map. I'll do courses via Skype with several example maps to get you started.

spiderjames
March 23rd, 2006, 03:38
o man, i timesplitters mod of irsi would be sweet, i love timesplitters

Strangler
March 23rd, 2006, 04:37
I dont get why games get made for the psp using mario and sonic all the time as homebrew but when a halo clone gets made its a problem somehow?

Kaiser
March 23rd, 2006, 05:56
I dont get why games get made for the psp using mario and sonic all the time as homebrew but when a halo clone gets made its a problem somehow?

Microsoft is lame. Sega and Nintendo take Mario and Sonic clones as compliments. Even though Microsoft has no legal foot to stand on they can still make PSPDemon's life a living hell through a long drawn out lawsuit. Sure PSPDemon would come out the victor but at what cost? Its just to much trouble to go through for a mod.

Strangler
March 23rd, 2006, 07:35
why dont you send this to someone else to work on than, and release the final verison through a third party anonymously or upload it on peer to peer?

Produkt
March 23rd, 2006, 20:46
In order to do something like this it requires a group of dedicated individuals...

2d homebrew games dont takes as much as a 3d game.

why do you think there are so many DS games in comparisson to PSP games?

jas0nuk
March 23rd, 2006, 21:53
Damn Microsoft, would you be able to post a screenshot (if you have one) of how it was going?

Produkt
March 24th, 2006, 02:04
Ok... you obviously didnt wanna look around.

The whole "Halo" mod thing was the idea to port the custom Counter-Strike MasterCheif SAS model from the HL engine to MD2 format. of cource it requires a decent amount of modeling experince... animating ect...

Aside from the attempts to port the model there was also a "mocup" of the title screen... really nothing special... a gradiated box with the Halo PC start screen...

Cap'n 1time
March 24th, 2006, 05:00
you know.. why do remakes? why not concider creating somthing from scratch... who knows.. perhapes you'll get to write your own cease and disist letter oneday :)

Produkt
March 24th, 2006, 12:31
Yep... I'll bring over the rules form the PC modding scene after work...

spiderjames
April 1st, 2006, 04:37
how about u create a new user name called like "bill gates" and then they may think bill gates is violating there ip, and then we can finally play halo on our beloved psp's :)

idapimp
April 4th, 2006, 08:19
how about u create a new user name called like "bill gates" and then they may think bill gates is violating there ip, and then we can finally play halo on our beloved psp's :)

.......................wow

RedKing14CA
April 6th, 2006, 02:12
Just give my main man bill gates a call, he'll straighten it all out :D

LOL, JK....

BALL_SAC
April 25th, 2006, 00:50
I saw the C&D order coming sooner or later... but this just plain gay... not even a first release.

max_hempfling
April 26th, 2006, 05:30
I would lilke to ask u to at least send me what u have for iris mod so i can try to continue ur work or put it on my psp and have fun!!! I have been looking forward to this halo and would be delighted if u send me ur mod... My email adress is [email protected] im willing to learn how to program if i can make this work

PS: i dont think those assholes have a case so keep workin on it and gimmi what u got I LOOOOOOOVVVVEEEE HALO SOOOOOO MUCH

Kaiser
April 26th, 2006, 05:46
Locked thread.

Should have died along time ago.