PDA

View Full Version : Hexen DS v0.2

wraggster
March 5th, 2006, 10:42
Rich Whitehouse (http://www.telefragged.com/thefatal/index.php?content=inc_si_ds.htm ) has released a new version of HexenDS, heres whats new:

-Moved from devkitPro r14 to r17, fixing a lot of common bugs in the process (this should take care of the swapped screens problem some people have as well).
-General speedups. Lots of them.
-Low detail mode from Doom incorporated (made low detail versions of all of Hexen's
rendering functions). ARM versions of col/span low detail rendering also included (which are around 13% faster than their GCC O3 versions).
-On-demand texture patch resizing, in order to lessen memory use (should solve any remaining Z_Malloc errors, especially with those huge animating textures).
-Fixed the info screen displaying unreadable junk on the main screen (but it's still info from the PC version, just think of it as authentic!).
-Added an invert look option in the menus.
-Tweaked touchscreen code more to make it more errorproof (it has always worked fine on my hardware, so this isn't 100%).
-When errors occur, the game will display them instead of stopping and spinning in place, so that you can go to my forums and yell at me about them (if someone else hasn't already).
-Fixed mana bars not rendering empty space on the bottom screen.
-Proper loading screen for the initial load sequence.
-Removed the need for cat from the wad-building process.

Download Via comments:

XDelusion
March 7th, 2006, 22:19
--EDIT: double post---

somehow...

XDelusion
March 7th, 2006, 22:25
His forums seem to be down so I can't report this but...

When you drop the hexen.wad in the folder, run the bat, everything works fine without error.

But when you load it, you come to a black screen (bottom screen) with white text saying:

======
FATAL ERROR
====
W_AddFile: fileinfo malloc fail
ed

-------

Nevermind, just got to press start rather than A with the M3.

Shouldn't that be in the docs somewhere? :)

XDelusion
March 8th, 2006, 09:32
Ok, one more thing. Is there a way to increase the brightness?

DistantJ
April 25th, 2006, 11:45
Wow, Hexen DS, with touch screen support. Awesome. Does it support music?

I wonder if anyone'll ever do Doom DS (an actual port) and perhaps Quake 1/2 DS? I know that Doom is on GBA but it is a pretty crippled version and it'd be great with the touch screen.

beccio
June 10th, 2006, 03:28
I have all files required, the bat make the file (hexends_wad.nds.gba) but with supercard cf dont work (double black screen)...

Where is my error?

VinylPusher
July 12th, 2006, 22:31
Wow, Hexen DS, with touch screen support. Awesome. Does it support music?

I wonder if anyone'll ever do Doom DS (an actual port) and perhaps Quake 1/2 DS? I know that Doom is on GBA but it is a pretty crippled version and it'd be great with the touch screen.

Quake 1 is being worked on. Currently runs at roughly 20fps and everything is untextured. I'm quite looking forward to it :)

I doubt Quake 2 would be any good, 384KB of texture memory just isn't going to be enough for that, unless you don't mind super low-res textures.

shadowking
July 26th, 2006, 04:12
hexen ds is nice. i hear bout the touchpad feature, i think dats awesome. i remember playin hexen wen i was like 4 yrs old lol. anyway cud someone help me out i cant get da wad filepatched into da game :( once i patch the wad and try to load the rom it still says that it cant find the wad file. also after the patching the file size is still the same =/

shadowking
July 29th, 2006, 22:57
hexen ds is awesome. except i cant play it cuz i get some error dat says "W_GetNumForName : FONTAY_S not found!" can someone help me out wit tryin 2 get this workin? thx :D

battleroyalex
July 29th, 2006, 23:11
one question, is there sound?

Keile
October 4th, 2006, 21:23
Now...someone needs to port this to MMD like they did Doom, and i'll be one happy camper.

Mourningstar
October 26th, 2006, 05:03
How do you get HEXEN to work? I keep getting an error message. "FATAL ERROR: W_GetNumForName: FONTA_S not found!"

Please help me!

Sektor
October 27th, 2006, 08:40
I updated Rich's port of Hexen. I'll call it version v0.25 since saving doesn't work yet.

- Added libfat support.
- Saving still doesn't work. I don't know why.
- Changed to more standard controls. You don't need to use the touch screen anymore.

You will need the full version hexen.wad, not the shareware.

http://gtamp.com/DS
HexenDS_0.25.7z (http://users.bigpond.net.au/grandtheftauto/HexenDS_0.25.7z) 680KB

It uses Chishm's libfat to read the hexen.wad. Libfat is compatible with MK2/3, GBAMPCF, M3CF, M3SD, SCCF, SCSD and NinjaDS.

If you have a G6, EZ4Lite or a 256mbit flashcart then you will need to use the GBFS version. The GBFS version requires the .wad file to be attached to the .nds, rather than stored seperately.

Controls:
- dpad to turn and move.
- touch screen to look around.
- A button fires.
- Y button jumps.
- L button cycles through inventory.
- R button cycles through weapons.
- X button uses objects (doors, switches)
- X button + dpad to strafe
- B button uses the selected inventory item.
- Select brings up the menu and exits out of it (acts as escape).
- Start selects menu items, or toggles the automap when not in a menu.
- X+Up/Down on dpad flies up/down while in fly mode.

Category
October 27th, 2006, 13:49
This is shaping up to be a great little port... I will have to wait until saving is working before it becomes a permanent addition to my play schedule though!