PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Fighter

wraggster
March 5th, 2006, 11:08
Gary13579 (http://psp.indocron.org/modules/news/) has released a early wip release of his homebrew RPG, heres the info:

Here it is! The first version of my RPG for the PSP. This version doesn't include much, just a simple map/player engine with hints of Inn's and message-boxes. It works pretty well, and the framerate is nice, but I cannot seem to get MP3 support without overclocking and/or lagging. If you have a nice and optimized MP3 player, please please send me some code :).

Download and screenshot via comments

Amiga
March 5th, 2006, 16:23
Very nice,looks very promising gary :)

TheEmulatorGuy
March 5th, 2006, 18:14
This is nothing compared to the RPG we (illfoundedmind) are working on. Sorry, I just had to say it. :)

been09
March 5th, 2006, 18:57
This is nothing compared to the RPG we (illfoundedmind) are working on. Sorry, I just had to say it. :)

Looks awesome man, and TheEmulatorGuy, I'll be impressed when I see it. (Seriously, gimme a link). But rite now, don't put him down when he has somethin to show.

cloud_952
March 5th, 2006, 19:22

Those are some pretty strong words for someone who hasn't released any information or screens yet. In fact, I'd say that his (WIP) is far greater than your project (vaporware) due to the fact that it exists. O_o

Anyway, good start on the RPG. Do you have an overview on the plot? Also.. the sprites are from RPGMaker, right?

Good going!

TheEmulatorGuy
March 6th, 2006, 03:39
Hey man, I wasn't putting down his work. It's good. I'm just saying, look forward to a full blown RPG.

While he has just the field work, we have a battle system, field/location system and main menu (the menu you get with triangle, etc.) system.

Once again, I am not looking for an argument. So I am sorry if I put anyone down, I don't want to get into any debates.

Here's a teaser, if you must see it. I couldn't be bothered getting anything else :P

http://www.illfoundedmind.com/projects/meekusquest/ingamemenu.png

PSPdemon
March 6th, 2006, 04:00
Looks very promising... kinda looks like a spin off of FF... very nice work i will say to that :D
when do you think youll release another version... i wouldnt mind having this on my psp during those long school trips :)

as for TheEmulatorGuy... you work looks very promising to... but can you post some more images or give us some description of yours... all i see is something that looks to be photoshoped...but still i dont let down on another persons work :D

Thanks for Eveything,
PSPdemon

TheEmulatorGuy
March 6th, 2006, 04:38
That was actually a design concept. :) I would take screenshots, but it just won't seem to work. I'll try later.

shadowhawk22
March 6th, 2006, 04:58
Use a digital camera... Then we'll see how it will really look. Anyway, I would welcome two RPG's. I mean, I've already completed like 200 in my lifetime, so what's another two? Lol. Good luck to both of you. I look forward to seeing some sort of finished playable game.

.Hawk

TheEmulatorGuy
March 6th, 2006, 05:28
If you insist. I can't focus well, and I can't hold my hands steady. These totally don't do it justice. The screenshots here are:

1. A battle system with enemy AI, attacks etc.
2. The main menu. Characters, rearranging, etc.
3. Item menu. Moving, removing,automatic organizing items, scrolling, using.

There is so many more features that aren't in these screenshots. Field mapping, overdrives, magic etc. etc.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/6144/16hz.png
http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/4075/22ba.png
http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/8692/39tl.png

>____>

crazyjohn
March 6th, 2006, 05:33
A concept design? In other words its photoshoped. You still have nothing to show! Dont post egotistical comments when he can prove that his is in the works and you cant. Im not saying your game doesnt exist but until we see proof dont brag. People will just think youre a dick.

EDIT: just saw your screenies you posted right before me. So you do have proof, well done. Still nobody likes a bragger.

TheEmulatorGuy
March 6th, 2006, 05:41
I feel I should be allowed to brag when I am really enthusiastic about our team's project. I really am sorry if I came out as a dick head, I'm just estatic about our work, and that we still haven't seen a competitor that has surpassed. However, I'm looking forward to Dragon Fighter being progressed. Looks to be a good rival. :)

Festizzio
March 6th, 2006, 05:50
Nice, very nice. :)

crazyjohn
March 6th, 2006, 07:37
Ok ok. No harsh feelings but if your ganna brag do it in your own thread. Then Id probably be telling you OMG YOU ROCK. Rather than saying mines better you could have said "Nice work, have you seen my project yet? Its an RPG too." Anyway, end of convo.

shadowhawk22
March 6th, 2006, 17:17
Looks very good. Hard to tell how the world looks when you explore it though. When do you believe there will be a finished product available? Do you think it will be hard enough and long enough?

,Hawk

mexicansnake
March 6th, 2006, 20:41
looks nice, it will be better if you do a character editor.

Gary13579
March 7th, 2006, 20:22
Anyway, good start on the RPG. Do you have an overview on the plot? Also.. the sprites are from RPGMaker, right?

Good going!

And yeah, they are ripped from RPG Maker. I'm too lazy to try and do any real graphics, so I've just been getting stuff from other places (I did make the message box/inn icons).

Brag in your own topic, please?
I know illfoundedmind sortta well from psp-hacks.. "meh" is all I have to say. I'm more then fine with another RPG out there, I don't care about competition. If people don't play my RPG, fine. But this gives me a lot of expirence and looks good when getting into college/applying for a video game programmer job :)

http://www.illfoundedmind.com/projects/meekusquest/ingamemenu.png
This looks good.. but it looks easy. I could code a menu like this pretty fast. The graphics are really nice, but meh. Graphics are the last thing that should be added into a game/program. You need to have basic functions first.
And how long have you been working on this? Keep in mind I've only done a few actual hours worth of work ;)

I'm not trying to attack you, I can't wait to see your RPG. Just go make your own topic about it :P

Looks very good. Hard to tell how the world looks when you explore it though. When do you believe there will be a finished product available? Do you think it will be hard enough and long enough?

,Hawk
I'll try to make it long enough, but I will be making "expansion" type games that are using nearly the same engine (I may change some of it), which will continue the story.
I'm thinking about selling the expansions (I'm broke :(), but I'll decide that when the time comes.

shadowhawk22
March 8th, 2006, 00:40
Thanks for addressing our comments. As long as the game has like 6 or so hours of play, it will be "playable". But more like 12 would be nice (or even 20). Anyway, I can see releasing expansions, but I sorta feel like until there's a solid game that is a good length, most people won't make an effort to play it. Selling it seems like a maybe. I dunno, we'll see how it goes. Good luck!
,Hawk

Gary13579
March 8th, 2006, 01:28
I'm aiming for 25-30 hours of gameplay, but that means about a week of straight coding!
Spring Break is next week.. I'll see what I can do :D

Gary13579
March 9th, 2006, 03:37
Hate to double post/bump a topic, but it seems worse to start a new one for something so small..

http://psp.indocron.org/files/DF-2006-03-08.png (http://psp.indocron.org/viewtopic.php?id=5)

Still have a lot to add, though.

shadowhawk22
March 9th, 2006, 21:37
I like the look of it. Simple is good, and for an RPG I don't need many snazzy graphics. I think it looks great. Keep it up!

,Hawk

Kikuichimoji
May 19th, 2006, 19:05
Don't hijack threads, that's freakin' LAME. I would think that someone intelligent enough to program a decent game would also know that. You make your own thread, and people will come see you.

Anyway back on subject, the game looks like it's going to be awesome Gary. Keep up the good work, we can all use more free RPGs!! :-D