PDA

View Full Version : Why Didn’t You Buy ‘Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars’?

wraggster
April 18th, 2009, 23:29
With the NPD group confirming that “Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars” sold an un-”GTA”-like 89,000 units between its March 17 launch and April 4, the question turns to gamers:
If you’re a “GTA” fan who has purchased games like “Grand Theft Auto IV,” but didn’t buy “Chinatown Wars,” why not?

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/04/17/why-didnt-you-buy-grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars/

Jeric
April 19th, 2009, 01:36
Simple economics. I'm broke outside of the essentials (which do nto include gaming, ok that's an 'essential' but not like food, water, electricity, and 'have to' bills).

Flygon
April 19th, 2009, 03:34
I didn't buy it because I don't really care for the GTA series.

crookedmouth
April 19th, 2009, 03:52
I only use the DS for Homebrew, but the low figures most likely stem from the same audience that enjoys GTA also owns an adapter capable of pirating. Anyone who pirated GTA:CW hopefully won't bitch when no more mature titles arrive and are replaced with the next Babyz or Dogz title.

WhizzBang
April 19th, 2009, 08:50
I´m bored of GTA now and will not buy another one. It was fun while it lasted though.

rancor01
April 19th, 2009, 13:03
...Because I'm cheap and I downloaded it. Played it for 3 days, never to touch it again. Its now been deleted from my card to make room for other junk.

wiggy fuzz
April 19th, 2009, 18:18
because my ds lite got nicked, and i didn't have the cash to get a dsi and gta at the same time. will buy it tomorrow, though.

Shadowblind
April 19th, 2009, 20:08
Rented it. Yawned. Returned it.

shinymusic
April 20th, 2009, 16:26
i think crookedmouth got it right. Pirating on the ds is too easy.

Qmark
April 20th, 2009, 18:05
I would venture the guess that the typical GTA player has been a dedicated graphics whore since GTA3, and believes the DS to be beneath him, as it doesn't do a bazillion polys with a bazillion particles at 60 FPS.

The PSP GTA didn't do too well either, until someone figured out it was an attack vector for getting into the system guts.

wiggy fuzz
April 20th, 2009, 22:05
bought it today. £20, it cost me. also got dragon ball origins and final fantasy 4.

all ds games should top out at the £20 price bracket - i got mine from a games store in reading, and the game was brand new sealed.

LeslieLu
April 22nd, 2009, 20:13
The DSi just got released in the US on April 5th which is almost 3 weeks after GTA:CW was released. Do you think people who don't own a DS yet were maybe were waiting to buy the DSi and then CW?

Also, heads up, I found a contest from GameStop to win a mob boss experience: www.gamestopchinatown.com

Predator
April 26th, 2009, 19:53
I bought it.

I miss the 16bit days. :(

MrSkiz
April 27th, 2009, 09:01
Bought it too. Best DS game ! It teaches a big lesson in term of programing to many other DS dev, but also to it's own nextgen big brother in term of richness and replayability.