PDA

View Full Version : Stella DS v0.7 (Atari 2600 emulator for NDS)

wraggster
March 6th, 2006, 17:11
thechuckster (http://thechuckster.homelinux.com/stellads/) has released a new version of his port of the Atari 2600 emulator Stella to the Nintendo DS.

Whats New:

I finally got the sound to work by doing away with some of the unnecessary Stella code (like register write queues) and trimming things down. Best enjoyed with E.T. :)

Download via comments

Hawq
March 6th, 2006, 18:37
'Best enjoyed with E.T.' is he high?

wraggster
March 6th, 2006, 19:29
lol :P

miner2049er
March 7th, 2006, 13:22
Doh!

Still no Supercard SD support?

rogerpoco
March 7th, 2006, 16:44
Yeah,doesnt work with my mk3 either.iv got an older version(0.6 media rev.)that will work(slooowly)w/o sound,but thats it.
Oddly enough,E.T. is the game i am most looking forward to.Adventure just looked like big blobs and dots to me(at the time.ive grown to respect it.a buddy ripped through it about a year ago for me,and it was cool.)
E.T.seemed like the first console game you could"beat"(i was like seven)and it was fun.
I have seen it ranked in several places as the worst game of all-time,though,so evidently most people agree with you.
(Hows that for disagreeing without arguing or causing controversy?);)

miner2049er
April 24th, 2006, 15:25
Any sign of a new version with SD support yet?

Facer
May 19th, 2006, 02:31
omg E.T> is my hero at life!!

the one and only
May 20th, 2006, 05:41
hey just a question how do u use homebrew on ds?
i am considering buying 1 but homebrew would make me think much more seriously about it
thanks
The One And Only

miner2049er
May 20th, 2006, 14:02
Any sign of a new version with SD support yet?

Please?

deedark
June 15th, 2006, 12:29
It doesn't work with my M3 mini-SD; it complains "unable to initialize media device"...

miner2049er
July 5th, 2006, 11:13
Are there any developments on this emu for Supercard SD support or is the project dead?

BadBoy House
August 13th, 2006, 18:02
looks dead to me. bit pointless imo if it doesnt work with supercards

MikeDX
August 22nd, 2006, 01:31
he should release the source, then I could fix it!

GPF
August 22nd, 2006, 02:37
he should release the source, then I could fix it!

http://thechuckster.homelinux.com/stellads/stellads-src-0.7.zip

its been on his site since the first release as far as I remember.

Troy(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk

miner2049er
August 22nd, 2006, 09:09
Please somebody fix it. I'm really dying to play this.

ACID
August 22nd, 2006, 09:36
Et he must be on something. LOL puff, puff, Giveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. LOL

lexluthor
August 22nd, 2006, 10:18
hey just a question how do u use homebrew on ds?
i am considering buying 1 but homebrew would make me think much more seriously about it
thanks
The One And Only

Its fairly simple to set up. I didnt use this when I did it. But it may help.
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11038

asdfasdf9
August 26th, 2006, 04:19
Please somebody fix it. I'm really dying to play this.

I hope it's simply because the proper configurations weren't set for an optimized play but StellaDS v0.7 is REALLY slow. Unless I'm the only person that thinks so, please correct me or send me a video showing otherwise.

Here's one with ports of Stella on the DS and GP2X split screen. There's also a comparison to a commercial emulator / anthology just to show that it can be fast enough with less than DS hardware:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPU8U8xy5Go

Ryan FB
August 26th, 2006, 17:15
I made a build a while back that updated the FAT libs (so SCSD etc. would work), they're the stellads-custom files in this directory (http://cryptosystem.org/projects/nds/).

miner2049er
August 26th, 2006, 23:08
Brilliant thanks for the link.

I got it working straight away, and on the Supercard Lite too!

It does seem to run a little slow though.

Still, good to play some classics again.

ACID
September 8th, 2006, 19:18
Works with supercard lite.

shertz
September 8th, 2006, 21:24
It dosent work on my Passcard3 + G6 lite 3rd Gen flash :(

turnerl
September 11th, 2006, 06:43
where do you place your roms? and what extension do they need?

thanks in advance!

miner2049er
September 11th, 2006, 14:28
Files should be .bin and be in a folder called stellads on the root of the card.

joeynoobie06
October 28th, 2006, 21:13
E.t Was The Wors Game Ever Made. It Is A Proven Fact That If You Play It.. That If You Play It That E.t Will Jump Out Of Your Tv And Kill You. Oh God There He Is....

duckharding30
November 18th, 2006, 07:42
hey just some info for anyone who is looking to speed this program up, and by that i mean somebody who has downloaded the source code and is rewriting it or whatever. I just wonder if the speed is in someway related to the timing of the ds screen updates because the program is capable of running faster. For example on SKY SKIPPER the first level is relatively sluggish but not to bad however in the game the speed increases quite a bit on the next couple of levels and this is reflected by stellads in that the game has a dramatic increase in game speed (while it is not superfast like the actual original gameplay it is at or slightly above the speed of the first level) also ASTROSMASH has only slight speed issues. This is a very impercise explanation i know but i have tried 100+ games with stella ds and it seems that on games where the speed is increased as a way of making the game more difficult stellads can easily handle the speed increase. By the way i have no idea on programming and the like just trying to offer something to kick this project along. Also with the dslinux project underway would it be easier to simply rewrite a linux 2600 emulator to work with ds.

mda29935
December 6th, 2006, 21:12
Can this thing work with Max media

JushinLiger
March 12th, 2007, 18:32
I know there hasn't been any new posts in a while but is there any news on someone picking up the project and getting SCSD support?

EDIT: Disregard that last comment, that new unofficial version works. I can't really tell if the speeds any different, I've only got the original roms that come with it. I'll update you guys when I run Solaris or Defender.