PDA

View Full Version : NesterJ PSP v1.10 Beta (NES emulator for PSP)

wraggster
March 6th, 2006, 17:27
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/nesjF0079.JPG

RUKA (http://rukapsp.hp.infoseek.co.jp/PSPSoftware/NesterJ.htm) is Back, one of the original coding machines for the PSP is back with a new release of his Nes Emulator for the PSP, not sure whats new but download via comments

frmariam
March 6th, 2006, 18:45
Glad to see this one back! Only hope Mr Mirakichi also comes back (really apreciate Homer's work also, but Mirakichi was RIN's creator). Or maybe at some point miemt11 will make PSP-GBA also run GB and GBC...

I really hope that we'll have speed increases, better sound/gfx, solve those transparent sprites issues in some games...

I hope someone here can speak japanese (I think) or knows someone who can to warn Ruka about some stuff. I own a 2.0 (the beta runs via eLoader) and currently there is some stuff that could be made to make it run smoother on 2.+... For instance, he could add an "Exit" option to the menu (like in Snes9x TYL), and it woulld be nice if he could sort out what makes ithe menu act like the up button is being pressed all the time when the the loader095.cfg has "exitButtonIsHome=Y".

Hope he get's this...

Anyway good news for all NES lovers (oh the countless afternoons I spent playing Megaman 2 in my old NES...)

pkmusicmaker
March 6th, 2006, 19:15
I'm happy about this, but for me, the NES emulator is so close to perfect that I haven't even been hoping for a new release. However, if something can be improved, and someone's working on it, I'm all for it. Thanks for a great emulator!

Voltron
March 6th, 2006, 19:56
Wow, this is great news indeed. To see some of the great coders coming back to the PSP and to see the quality and quantity of great releases over the past month shows that the PSP homebrew scene is back in full swing.

This has been an amazing week for the PSP.

DZhack
March 6th, 2006, 20:15
Hi this is....i guess first time for me here, but how do you run these applications on the psp? can anyone help me?

b8a
March 6th, 2006, 21:03
Since Wraggster said he wasn't sure what was new, I went ahead and translated the original posting. Not much more info there, but here it is:

<div style="width:95%; margin: auto; padding: 2%; background-color:rgb(230,230,230); border: thin black solid; text-align:center">
Recent News

The beta version of <b>NesterJ 1.10</b> is currently being released.

With this version there is a good chance that even software that uses disk system, special sound effects, etc... that 60FPS with V-Blank might be possible.^^

I await your bug reports and confirmations of it's performance. For details, please see the included readme110beta.txt.

(Link omitted)Forum(Link omitted)
There is a devoted forum for bug reports and requests, so please don't post on this one.
(In english)This BBS isn't bug report page.(In english)
</div>

I'm too exhausted right now, or else I'd take a look at the read me file for further details. I made sure to include that last block as there's a little disparity between what's in the Japanese and what they wrote in English, so my guess is that they may not welcome English posts. That's kind of unusual for most Japanese people though, so I might be wrong....

As for what frmariam wrote about relaying information to the author, if nobody else gets to it first, I'd be happy to relay a message when I get a chance. I have no experience with this emulator though, and I'm not likely to get around to trying it out, so if you have any messages you'd like me to relay, please don't assume that I know what you're talking about, and please put some thought into what you're writing beforehand.

Happy gaming all (!_!)

frmariam
March 6th, 2006, 21:18
Thanks b8a!

I love NesterJ and the stuff I wrote still applies to the beta (tested it for a while).

I (and I guess everyone with 2.0+) would like to see those features so if your willing could you please send these when you have time:

1- Add an "Exit" option to the menu
2- Try to sort otu the issue with eLoader. The menu will act like the up button is being pressed if in the loader095.cfg (eLoader file) there is "exitButtonIsHome=Y"...

Thanks in advance mate :)

Voltron
March 6th, 2006, 23:18
Yes, thanks again for your great translations b8a. You are a big help.

pkmaximum
March 7th, 2006, 01:54
I'm glad to hear that more official releases of the emulator are once gain being released. One thing though I am disspapointed on and that is how he made a "to do list". Usually the thing you would hope to see is multiplayer ad hoc for one of the "to do's". Well unfortunatley that was not on the list. I would gladly offer my support to see ad hoc being implemented in this emulator. Games like super mario the original, contra, ice climbers are fun games in my opion to play multiplayer. I would just like to see this implemented in the future. I hope my voice is heard. Thank you and good luck.

Voltron
March 7th, 2006, 04:17
Ok, just tested this out with various settings and it works great. I noticed that the GPU full screen mode gives a smoothing pixel effect like the one of SNES9XTYL. I'm not sure if I like it better yet or not but I guess the GPU mode allows the EMU to run better or at least use less resources to run.

Even with optimal settings such as full screen GPU, VSYNC ON, 22k audio, the EMU ran all games full speed. What I did notice however was that in GPU FULL mode, playing the game Super Mario Bros. 3 you can see the edge of the screen break up on the right. It only takes a half second or so to correct itself but its ugly.

This is a great EMu. Its good to see the NES resurrected.

yudonomi
March 7th, 2006, 04:45
I wish this and some other emulators hosted here were packaged more nicely for 1.5 firmware, e.g. the NES and NES% folders and eboots. Or, can someone recommend a tool to create these on a Mac?

cortez1
March 7th, 2006, 06:31
agreed. I use a mac too and can't find tools to create these files.

yudonomi
March 7th, 2006, 07:22
Oh. Well, I just found this utility for the Mac, and it works great. Takes the eboot and transfers it to the PSP and sets everything up great for 1.5.

http://ipsp.kaisakura.com/homebrew.php

Smiths
March 7th, 2006, 11:47
Wraggy.... he said not to release it on sites. C'mon man, it's in English at the top of the readme.

hoodywarrior
March 7th, 2006, 21:41
I can't believe how smooth this plays and easy is was to get going. Thanks!

b8a
March 7th, 2006, 21:42
frmariam -
I checked out the request forum, and the exit issue has already been brought up. As for the 2.xx+ specific issues, it does sound like the author only has a 1.00 and from everything I saw on the site, it doesn't look like there's much of a concern for working on issues they can't test (which, oddly enough, includes 1.50 issues).

It looks like Smiths is already in contact with the author anyway, so hopefully he'll be able to represent the urgency of any of these requests (!_!) He has a english version of the readme which is posted at <a href="http://rukapsp.hp.infoseek.co.jp/PSPSoftware/NesterJ.htm">http://rukapsp.hp.infoseek.co.jp/PSPSoftware/NesterJ.htm</a>.

As for what Smiths wrote, I did check the readme, but couldn't find that request... There was an urging on the site to <i>take care</i> when posting it, but it hardly sounded like a strict instruction not to do so. But then again, by the time I got around to checking this out, the next version was already released, so maybe it got dropped in the new readme...

cfscorpio
March 9th, 2006, 05:40
How do you play Famicom Disk System Games? I have the bios but I don't know where to put it.

frmariam
March 11th, 2006, 22:46
Thanks for checking it out and sorry to only write now (had to write something right ;) ).

Checked beta 3 and there is an exit option. All apps should have one of these!

The problem with the up key being pressed can be simply avoided by setting the "exitButtonIsHome=N" in the eLoader config... Home button would be nice though... And I guess the loader is picking on something in the emu menu code (I think it shares parts of the menu code also present RIN, PSP-GBA and uo_Snes... They look alike and all have the same prob with in the file browser part of the menu...).

Pitty he can't test it...

Anyway thanks!