PDA

View Full Version : PSP firmware 5.50 coming real soon

Shrygue
April 20th, 2009, 21:41
The US Playstation Blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/04/20/psp-firmware-v550-update/) reports that version 5.50 for the PSP will be coming soon. Apparently it's out tommorow April 21st (as CVG reports (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=213374)). Here's an extract showing the new features:

Memory Stick improvements – You’ll be able to create and access sub-folders on your Memory Stick PRO Duo for music, videos and photos. Separately, the available space required to download a file from PlayStation Store to your Memory Stick has been reduced significantly.
Internet search for games directly from the XMB – You’ll be able to easily search the Internet for information about your PSP games. Select the icon for the game, hit the Triangle button, and then select [Internet Search] from the options menu to get search results based on the game title. This feature was added to PS3 with the recent 2.70 update.
Trend Micro trial – PSP’s Internet browser is a great tool for checking out your favorite Web sites on the go, and we’re teaming up with the Internet security experts at Trend Micro to make the Web browsing experience safer and more secure. With the 5.50 update, you’ll have the option to access a free trial of two Trend Micro services:

Trend Micro Web Security uses Web reputation technology to block PSP owners from accidentally visiting a Web site that may contain malicious content designed to steal personal information and confidential data.

Trend Micro Kids’ Safety uses URL filtering technology to prevent children from accessing Web sites that feature inappropriate content.

Oh and also it'll have the RSS Information Board just like the PS3 has as well and of course most probably will have security updates to top it off.

So then, what's your thoughts on the upcoming release? Reply via comments below.

gamefreak199101
April 20th, 2009, 21:48
wow you're quick, i was just about to post this

Shrygue
April 20th, 2009, 22:06
It seems CVG here (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=213374) says that the update is coming tomorrow, fingers crossed that it will.

ian h
April 20th, 2009, 22:11
hey! i actually read news before i saw it on dcemu! this is off topic but i dont get any help in the "help" forum. is there problems with psx eboots on 5.0 m33 6 because i cant load games that i could before on 3.90 m33. :-(

jungletek
April 20th, 2009, 22:51
What a bunch of crappy, barely useless features, IMO.

ian h
April 20th, 2009, 23:05
atleast the update isnt just a "security measure"

PSPdemon
April 20th, 2009, 23:26
The only thing I will like in this is...

# Memory Stick improvements – You’ll be able to create and access sub-folders on your Memory Stick PRO Duo for music, videos and photos. Separately, the available space required to download a file from PlayStation Store to your Memory Stick has been reduced significantly.

because it just makes life easier ( although weve already had this via homebrew means...atleast its now intergrated into the firmware )

darkriku2000
April 21st, 2009, 00:10
Now all they need to do is allow you to sort music and pictures alphabetically (mainly for reading manga on the psp, if anybody has tried it, they know, it's a pain)

darkriku2000
April 21st, 2009, 00:17
hey! i actually read news before i saw it on dcemu! this is off topic but i dont get any help in the "help" forum. is there problems with psx eboots on 5.0 m33 6 because i cant load games that i could before on 3.90 m33. :-(

Have you tried popsloader?

Zargon
April 21st, 2009, 00:37
The memstick thing is nice. Other than that, just another waste of time.

mike_jmg
April 21st, 2009, 01:44
Yay! Sub-folders, was about time
everything else aint worth it but that feature is great.

NachoBlast
April 21st, 2009, 03:39
only thing i like is

1. the number is 5.50 lol

2. THE MUSIC SUB-FOLDERS~~~~~~~~~~~~ W000000T!!! ILL BE ABLE TO MAKE A RAP, ROCK, METAL ETC FOLDER AND PUT MY SHIT IN THERE, AND MAKE A FOLDER IN THAT FOLDER OF THE ARTISTS!! JUST LIKE AN IPOD :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: thanks for this post man, we've all wanted this for like what 2005 >.>

jamotto
April 21st, 2009, 04:08
All those improvements are great and the Information Board will come in handy.

juiceface
April 21st, 2009, 04:21
If you think about it, custom firmware for this version is basically pointless. Nothing worth noting in this firmware release.

pspandrew2006
April 21st, 2009, 07:04
ill have to admit the new features are not all that big imo they are kind of useless there has not been anything really useful added to the psp firmware since they added the web browser but at least its more than just security updates

b8a
April 21st, 2009, 08:47
The sub folders are going to be great. I usually use LightMP3 for listening to music, but LightMP3 still doesn't handle non-ASCII file names well and doesn't recognize my ID3 tags. Up until now my biggest problem with the stock Sony player has been the lack of organizability. Hopefully this update will take care of that, and I remember seeing a plugin somewhere to control the clock speed of the Sony player, so maybe I won't need LightMP3 anymore.

There are a bunch of posts here saying that this update is useless. I don't remember a homebrew solution for adding subfolder capabilities to the PSP's native Photo, Music, and Video players... If this exists, what is it?

fpcreator2000
April 21st, 2009, 14:35
5.50 CFW and then I'll be excited.

Nokiaman
April 21st, 2009, 14:43
5.50 CFW and then I'll be excited.
This

happy_mak
April 21st, 2009, 14:53
Sub folders is real cool!!! tried this one

But the Information Board is kind of just a shortcut to Playstation Network demos/videos , but then again it is fine.

Trend micro thing is what .. more of just PR than any real value

Manish
http://www.twitter.com/pspupdates

jxx2005
April 21st, 2009, 18:04
i know DarkAleX used to use these weird not so great updates to implement something cool into M33