PDA

View Full Version : So... Curiousity... why don't we have access to dev kits and such?

punkonjunk
April 21st, 2009, 19:44
ok, don't smack me, or banhammer me. This seems like the most appropriate place to ask. I think.

So I've seen numerous people source in numerous threads that the big problem is developer access to SDKs or whatever, devkits and such...

I'm just curious - why aren't these utilities provided to developers ever... leaked? what do these do that we cant, since, well, don't we have you know, unlocked access to the machine?

Zack
April 21st, 2009, 20:19
They are leaked. Just illegal to use. I know this doesn't stop most things of this nature. However with the PSP anyway, anyone caught releasing a game/application/hack with an official devkit can get themselves into serious legal complications.

And most of the things the official sdk has, have been implemented in the sdk made my the homebrew community.

The only thing we can't do is to sign eboots so they boot without custom firmware. That will probably always be the case. I am not sure whether this official devkit can even do that. As far as I know, only Sony themselves can sign eboots for direct booting from official firmware.

Sorry if that doesn't answer the question very well :p

punkonjunk
April 21st, 2009, 20:32
Nope, that's what I wanted to know almost in it's entirety. Thanks.