PDA

View Full Version : Canadian industry wants tougher piracy laws

wraggster
April 23rd, 2009, 16:18
The Entertainment Software Association of Canada has met with a number of the country's MPs to lobby for tougher piracy laws, because its members feel that their intellectual property is at risk.

The country, which benefits strongly from government financial aid, currently doesn't allow pirated goods to be seized by customs agents without a court injunction, while punishment for piracy crimes are no tougher than fines.

Danielle Parr, executive director of the ESAC, is keen to see that changed: "At the federal level, the primary issue for us... is the protection of intellectual property," she said, according to Canada.com.

She added that the fines facing pirates are currently no more than "a slap on the wrist", arguing for jail terms instead, while she'd also like to see mod chips outlawed: "In Canada, these devices are not illegal," she said. "They're illegal in virtually every other country."

MPs at the event indicated that the issue was pending, but gave no indication on the timescale of writing new legislation on the matter into law.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/canadian-industry-wants-tougher-piracy-laws

nomi
April 23rd, 2009, 21:09
Umm.. correct me if i am not right but arent mod chips legal as long as you use proper backups!?

justicejoe
April 24th, 2009, 01:01
i am Canadian, if some one gives me a day when they go to court ill back there play. we should have a voice or at least a vote.

kaferenza
April 24th, 2009, 11:01
Same crap that's been done here in the US. I'm actually surprised the Canadian government hasn't followed suit sooner, but I believe that to be in part to the Canadian people themselves. Sad if this goes through to see one of the last intelligently acting countries follow in the footsteps of the rest of the world.

kaferenza
April 24th, 2009, 11:09
Umm.. correct me if i am not right but arent mod chips legal as long as you use proper backups!?

That is what they are made for. However they are illegal in the US because they "circumvent copywrite protection".

Not to mention that you aren't allowed to make a backup of a game in the US because you don't actually own any of the games you have(nor the systems for that matter). Think about this the next time you buy a game, all you are buying is a $60 plastic disc with holes in it and a license(keyword) to play it indefinitely.

Hence they're illegal in the US because the consumer doesn't need to make a backup of something that they don't own. Why buy a spare engine for your friend's car that you are borrowing?

krazedkat1
April 24th, 2009, 20:29
Where'd you get that info from? Where does it say that we don't own what we buy? I'm a Canadian and MAN I'll be pissed if this goes through!

ricosuavez
April 24th, 2009, 22:34
"At the federal level, the primary issue for us... is the protection of intellectual property,"

money ,money and more money please...:D