PDA

View Full Version : Sony: The Wii Owns The Closet

wraggster
April 23rd, 2009, 17:40
It's a shame, but corporate smack talk seems to have gone out of style since the likes of Peter Moore and Ken Kutaragi left their posts. Today, though, Sony are bringing it back.

And good for them! While some dismiss this kind of business as childish - purile, even - we don't. Bring it on! The shittier the shit-talking the better, as this industry would be a boring place without it.

Which brings us to an interview on Gamasutra, with Sony's Peter Dille, who recycles a Jack Tretton quote by saying:

Yeah, I don't want to steal [CEO] Jack [Tretton]'s quote, but he's fond of saying: "Microsoft owns the office; Sony owns the living room; and Wii owns the closet." And that's an aggressive, probably quotable line.

But the point he's trying to make is something that we find backed up in a lot of our research and focus groups: that people who are playing the Wii bring it out when friends come over and then put it back away — that the console that stays connected to the TV is a different system.

You're damn right it's quotable. Probably grossly inaccurate, too, but then, that's not the point of these statements, is it?

http://kotaku.com/5223638/sony-the-wii-owns-the-closet

Chris23235
April 23rd, 2009, 22:54
I think it doesn't make a difference for Nintendo were the users are storing their Wii, at least they are buying it, most people tend to not store a PS3 at all, so you can say PS3 rules the storage rooms of the retailers.
I must admit, that I am tired of all this ridiculous statements from Sony. They behave like people who loose a game and try to blame the other players for not letting them win.
The videogames industry still has serious problems. In this situation Nintendo was the only one who seemed to understand what the problems were. Sony's strategy was bigger, much bigger, much much much bigger. Now there strategy lies in ruins and they seem total incapable of some kind of self-criticism.

apex05
April 23rd, 2009, 23:17
Since Sony lost market dominance after Ps1 and Ps2 they just have no clue how to get the kind of focus Nintendo has, all this childishness just shows how complaisant they got after having it so easy for the first 10 years.

kojiro7
April 23rd, 2009, 23:33
ps3 will soon owns its coffin

quzar
April 23rd, 2009, 23:39
Do people actually do that anyways? Put away and bring out consoles? Even when I'm not using it the Wii stays hooked up...

Darksaviour69
April 24th, 2009, 01:31
Do people actually do that anyways? Put away and bring out consoles? Even when I'm not using it the Wii stays hooked up...

(very) casual gamers do that. My sister and her BF only take out their ps2 for xmas and stuff.

apex05
April 24th, 2009, 02:12
Well my Xbox original has always been connected to tv, but i'm getting a new PVR so it's getting relegated to a cupboard, and even though i've not used it for 3 months i'm gunna miss it not being there when i want it.

WhizzBang
April 24th, 2009, 17:37
My Xbox 360 was packed away for most of 2008. I didn't set it up again until that new dashboard came out which made it better to use (quieter)

goshogun1
April 24th, 2009, 18:13
LOL I use my Wii more than 360 or PS3, but mostly for Gamecube games, and homebrew emu's. But for PS3 I rarely play games at all on it. To me right now its a snazzy avi/DVD/BLU RAY player. Somehow I am doubting that's what Sony wanted me to use it for primarily.

Predator
April 24th, 2009, 20:36
PS3 owns the stock room. :p

krazedkat1
April 24th, 2009, 21:32
PS3 owns your wallet