PDA

View Full Version : HuCast Preview Release

DCEmu_Newsposter
February 28th, 2005, 10:57
[br] A preview release of HuCast, a PC Engine CD / TurboDuo emulator for the Dreamcast by Quzar (http://www.screamcast.net/boards/viewtopic.php?p=1340#1340)[br][br]This emulator is not fullspeed, but can play Hu-Card games and SuperCD games at speeds matching/surpassing DreamEngine.[br][br]Download availible HERE (http://www.screamcast.net/publicdownloads/HuCast_Preview.zip)

quzar
February 28th, 2005, 10:59
Here is a copy of the Readme included with the emulator:

A really hacked up port of Hugo 2.11 preview to the DC by Quzar.

Controls are as follows:

Start - Sound On/off (this does not affect speed in any way)
A- I
B- II
X- Run
Y- Select

This can read two different kinds of files, *.pce and *.iso (where the iso is an image of the data track of a Super CD game.)

As far as I know, It supports all possible resolutions (not tested).

Roms should be put in the root of the CD with the emulator on it.

To play CD games you need to also have a matching System card rom that may be named any of the following things: "syscard.pce","syscard3.pce","syscard30.pce"

Every game that I have tested runs about the same speed if not faster than in DreamEngine, but has sound.

scrabbus
February 28th, 2005, 15:08
COME ON, WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO, man being 31 isnt all that bad, as soon as I get some new disks this baby is getting tested, KEEP UP THE GROOVINESS

scrabbus
February 28th, 2005, 15:34
ALL HAIL THE NEW KING OF THE UNIVERSE, QUZAR THE MAGNIFICENT

quzar
February 28th, 2005, 19:48
i find it regrattble that i didnt specify that your roms have to be in 8.3 filename format, or the menu may crash

scrabbus
February 28th, 2005, 21:29
eh???? EXPLAIN (NEWBIE)

DaMadFiddler
February 28th, 2005, 21:50
Filename 12345678.123

Like the DOS days.

For example, bonksadv.pce is perfectly fine, whereas bonksadventure.pce, Bonk's Adventure.pce, and bonksadv.pcengine are all invalid. In other words, no more than 8 characters (with no spaces, slashes, or colons) for the "name" part, and no more than three characters for the file extension (again, no special characters).

quzar
February 28th, 2005, 22:05
bingo.

WHurricane16
March 1st, 2005, 00:40
Nice. Too bad my TG-16 roms and Super CD isos are missing.

/me holds up a frothing mug of cider.

elefas
March 1st, 2005, 09:51
Great news! I love pc engine. keep up the good work quzar!

scrabbus
March 1st, 2005, 10:34
can anyone help me to burn a working version of this, I have win xp so my old buddy DSSBS no longer works :P I need help pwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez, since i became 31 my brain cells are rapidly dissapearing!!

scrabbus
March 1st, 2005, 13:16
damn, still no luck, I'm going outside to hang by the toes till im very cold

scrabbus
March 1st, 2005, 13:19
does anyone have an IP bin for this???

VampiricS
March 1st, 2005, 13:29
does anyone have an IP bin for this???

I don't want to sound rude or anything but you should take the time to read and/or search on the forums to get the help you need. Obviously the help you're asking for has been asked probably a thousand times already.

About the 'ip.bin' that you need, there's many homebrew stuff that were having that file already packed-in. I suggest you to use 'selfboot inducer' if you're not too confortable with using binaries and all.

Go check there: http://www.sbiffy.com

If an .sbi file is needed for that emulator, i guess someone will do one shortly.

M@jk
March 3rd, 2005, 10:07
great job Quazar.
I tested 3 games:
New Adventure Island - good speed, about 80%, sound little buggy
Rastan Saga II - big gfx glithes, unplayable
Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball Bu Soccer - nice speed, and better turn off the sound :)
In all games the screen is bad adjusted to left (?)
Is there any method to choose another rom without reset?

scrabbus
March 3rd, 2005, 10:17
what type of dc do you guys have, PAL or NTSC, I have tried 8 times and no good

M@jk
March 3rd, 2005, 10:42
i have a PAL console - maybe i make SBI pack that will help you.

scrabbus
March 3rd, 2005, 12:30
cool thanks man

quzar
March 3rd, 2005, 13:34
Not in this release.

All the games are adjusted to the left because some games run at 320x240, and its easier to leave it to the left in games that run at 256x240. An actual release version would do this better.

Christuserloeser
March 3rd, 2005, 13:43
It's a fantastic emu. Runs great! The speed -WITH- sound actually is better but at least the same as with DreamEngine.
...and there's no frameskip implemented, am I correct?

The resolution modes however seem to be off, Hi-Res hombrew cut's off on the right side of the screen, Lo-Res displays on the left side only.

btw, is there a way to exit a loaded ROM?

quzar
March 3rd, 2005, 14:02
The resolution modes ARE off. In an attempt to get the fastest possible renderer (which i was able to do) I used direct framebuffer access as opposed to pvr rendering. The attempt i made was to have aspect ratios which respect the original hardware, not necessarily how it would look on a tv.

i accidentally said 256x240 previously, when the actual resolution is 256x256. the display mode is currently 320x240, which accounts for the cutoff.

Full versions will run at 640x480 with stretching and respect towards the original aspect ratio.