PDA

View Full Version : Breakout PSP v0.1

wraggster
March 9th, 2006, 17:47
Andorien (http://forums.qj.net/showthread.php?t=41989) has released a new game for the PSP, heres the info:

<blockquote>Well, this is my first ever attempt at coding a game. It's simply a PSP adaptation of the old game Breakout. This is not in LUA (since I don't know it, and from what I've seen it's a bit higher level than I'm comfortable with), it's coded in C++

How to Play

Move the paddle left or right with either the stick or the d-pad. You must prevent the ball from reaching the bottom of the screen, or you will lose a life. Should you reach 0 lives, the game is over. The level will then restart, and any blocks you destroyed will reappear. You can pause the game anytime by pressing Start.

To win, you must destroy all of the blocks on the screen. Afterwards, the level will reload. Each time a block is destroyed however, it will increase the speed of the puck. You can reset the speed only by losing a life.

Known Issues

Currently, due to the way that the paddle is responding to collision (only changing the y axis velocity), it's possible to trap the puck within the paddle. It's not a huge issue, just know that if that happens, the puck will bounce up and down really fast, and if it's released out of one of the sides, it might as well be random which Y direction it will go.

Also, it seems that if you keep playing over and over (reloading the level again and again), the game will eventually freeze. You can hit the home button and attempt to go back to the menu, but at that point the system will crash. I think I'm getting a buffer overflow, since each time the level loads, it must reload all of the images. However, I don't know how to clear the buffer, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd very much appreciate it.

Finally, I have no idea if this works on 2.0+. I don't think I'm using the kernal, so if anyone would like to try it out and let me know, be my guest.

Features to Add

Additional Content - The way the code is setup, it should be very very easy to add in more levels, more blocks (I've already got the algorithm down to add in a bunch of blocks of different color, size, and position, it's just a matter of loading them into memory), multiple pucks on the screen, paddles, etc.

Screenshot Support - I've gotten it kinda sorta working, but not how I'd like. Rather than release a broken feature, I decided to leave it out for this build.

Sound - Adding it shouldn't be too difficult. It's mostly an issue with finding sounds I like.

Everything Else

If you want my source, either to learn from it or to tell me I'm doing everything wrong (which is appreciated as long as you help me fix it), post here and I'll get it too you. It's mostly undocumented, so I'm not gonna go through the trouble of commenting everything unless someone wants it.</blockquote>

Download via comments

kcc86
March 10th, 2006, 05:23
The pc version is pretty fun. I'm glad someone ported it to psp. I'll try it out in a little bit. Thanks.

sroon
May 31st, 2006, 03:47
this is soo aDICKting!!