PDA

View Full Version : Monkey 64 v1.0 - First Release (Nintendo 64 Emulator for PSP)

wraggster
March 10th, 2006, 19:38
PSMonkey (http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk) has released the first version of his Nintendo 64 Emulator for the PSP, this release has support somewhat for the Commercial game Mortal Kombat Trillogy and whilst it wont play most of the Nintendo 64 Library it is a big step in the right direction, heres the news from his site:

The Emulator also works on any version from v1.0 to v2.6 from reports :)

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/monkey64.jpg

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/Pong.jpg

<blockquote>Well sorry I am late but here is the much promissed first release of monkey64. I was hopping for better at the last min but it still passed my exspectations for a first build.

Few things to note.

.) While Rsp & Rdp emulation is started it is far from complete. As well there are still numerious issues in the main cpu core. I plan to fix things as soon as I can get to them.
.) This wont run mario64 or 99% of the n64 library. Some roms are starting to do things with Mortal Kombat Trillogy actualy being playable (to some extent).
.) I know there are odd looking color squares when running some comercial roms (like mortal kombat). The reason is because I have not completed texture suport in rdp. I am hoping to get a revision out asap once this is fixed.
.) The emulator is slow. Some PD roms do a pretty nice framerate but games like mortal kombat do about 5fps. This is due to the emulator still being on a pure interpreter core. In good time I will build a dynamic recompiler so we can get some more playable framerates.
.) The app is in user mode. So it is quite posible this works on 2.0+ psp units. I just sadly dont have the time to check.

Well that is it. Do enjoy. The zip contains a few favorite PD roms. Pong by Oman is a must play imo. Also if you're all currious what mortal kombat trillogy looks like in game. Please see attached screenshot on forums.

PS. Mortal Kombat Trillogy [!] dump wont work. dump runs just fine. When you see the second screen, press start as it's just warning you that there is only 1 controller plugged in.

-- EDIT --
Hey guys. Sorry I forgot to mention. The screen flickering is because its not doing double buffering on the psp. It's just directly rendering to the display screen. I was trying to fix this at lunch but ran into problems so I gave up since I wanted to push the build out asap. I'll have it fixed for the v1.1 build.</blockquote>

Download it for yourself at PSMonkeys Site (http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk)

[B]Lets start trying every N64 game and post if any works on this first release

So far these games do something:

Wave Race 64 (J) [!] - Displays N64 Logo then crashes back to menu.
Mortal Kombat Trilogy (U) (V1.0) [b1] - Displays menus - no graphics yet.
Doom 64 (U) [!] - Displays menus - no graphics yet.

Massive List of PDRoms inside that work - via comments

DPyro
March 10th, 2006, 19:44
Working PD Roms

1964 Demo by Steb
Working

2 Blokes & An Armchair - Nintendo 64 Remix [f1]
2 Blokes & An Armchair - Nintendo 64 Remix
Draws Graphics/Almost Working

Absolute Crap Intro 1 by Kid Stardust
Working

Absolute Crap Intro 2 by Lem
Working

Berney Must Die! by Nop_ (POM '99) [t1]
Draws Some Graphics/Haults On Unemulated Opcode

Chaos 89 Demo
Working

Christmas Flame Demo
Working

Cliffi's Little Intro by Cliffi (POM '99)[b1]
Draws Graphics/Somewhat Working

Dexanoid R1 by Protest Design [b1]
Working

Display List Ate My Mind Demo by Kid Stardust
Working

DKONG Demo
Working

Fire Demo by Lac
Working

Fractal Zoomer Demo by RedboX
Working

Freekworld BBS Intro by Rene [a1]
Freekworld BBS Intro by Rene
Working

Hard Coded Demo by Silo and Fractal[a1]
Hard Coded Demo by Silo and Fractal
Draws Graphics/Not Working

HiRes CFB Demo
Working

LCARS Demo by WT Riker [b1]
LCARS Demo by WT Riker
Draws Graphics/Somewhat Working - WARNING --- MAY FREEZE/SHUT PSP OFF

Light Force First N64 Demo by Fractal
Working

Liner V1.00 by Colin Phillipps of Memir [b1]
Liner V1.00 by Colin Phillipps of Memir [b2]
Liner V1.00 by Colin Phillipps of Memir
Working

Mandelbrot Zoomer by RedboX
Working

Manic Miner - Hidden Levels by RedboX
Manic Miner by RedboX
Working

N64 Stars Demo [b1]
N64 Stars Demo
Working

Neon64 First Public Beta Release by HCS
Neon64 First Public Beta Release V2 by HCS
Working

Pause Demo by RedboX

Planet Console Intro
Working

Pong by Oman [a1]
Pong by Oman [a2]
Pong by Oman
Working

Rotating Demo USA by Rene [a1]
Rotating Demo USA by Rene
Working

RPA Site Intro by Lem
Working

Sinus
Working

Soncrap Golden Eye Intro
Soncrap Intro by RedboX

Super Fighter Demo
Working

VNES64 Emulator V0.12 by Jean-Luc Picard
Somewhat Working

XtraLife Dextrose Demo by RedboX
Working

Mustang
March 10th, 2006, 20:08
Looks fab !

Cant wait to try it when I get home tonight....

Mortal Kombat looks better than you described it (think I can make out Scorpion in that screenshot....maybe not)

Thanks and congrats on this milestone build !

Sharkey
March 10th, 2006, 21:49
Awesome, you just gave me something to do, a big hearty congrats on the release.

LazerTag
March 10th, 2006, 22:02
Yep can't wait to try it later.

amazing work. :)

YourStillWithMe
March 10th, 2006, 22:23
I would just like to say "thank you" on behalf of everyone here involved in the psp scene, (i'm sure everyone will agree with my statement.) you have taken the initiative to create something that no one thought would be possible. I have the upmost respect for you. It sort of reminds me of when Abraham Lincoln wrote the Proclamation to free the slaves. No one else thought that his idea of doing that would benefit them but he did what he thought was right and went and did what he had to do, thus making certain things in the future possible and easier as you have done psmonkey with N64 emulation.

Thank You!

When Smash, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, or Mario Kart gets running I will be more than glad to download your wonderful program. I wish you the best of luck!

P.S-I think that due to the many opinions about controls for the emulator you should make it so we could customize them!

Mr Mushrooms
March 10th, 2006, 22:47
Good job my friend, allow me to offer my congratulations. Can't wait for further updates.

Corona
March 11th, 2006, 00:19
I wish you would dump this project and spend all your free time on Iris.
Iris rocks the pants.

guthix
March 11th, 2006, 00:22
Mortal Kombat works like a charm bro. Thanks for the release! :D

aries2k4
March 11th, 2006, 01:28
Alright!!! Great job Bro. Thanks for all your hard work!!!

XplosS
March 11th, 2006, 01:32
Nice work ;). I've already tried it on the PSP and tried to run Bomberman (E), with no success (as I expected, though). But I'm amazed because of Pong's framerate (what a improvement, in such a short period of time!).

Keep it up, PSmonkey. :cool:

The_Ultimate_Eggman
March 11th, 2006, 02:16
Hey man it might be wearing big muddy clogs but it is a step in the right direction.I have alwayz been a big fang if u need any help debugging/frame optimization for code written there is plenty of us on the market to use just make code openn source :> ps i have i have alwayz been a fan !! as u know !!!

CoderX
March 11th, 2006, 07:13
i always say the final code at least should be open.

Or at lease the previous build code, after you release

pkmusicmaker
March 11th, 2006, 07:54
I'll be honest, I've been skeptical for a long time, but my tune is changing more and more. Keep it up, I'm really impressed.

bullhead
March 11th, 2006, 11:22
Like a tropical sunset. Key pit up!

CoderX
March 11th, 2006, 13:56
Ya MK is running, monkey your the man.

BTW Doom64 seems to run a bit also

idapimp
March 11th, 2006, 15:59
you are awesome

HeX
March 11th, 2006, 19:12
nice! keep up the hard work and the great releases!

archronos
March 11th, 2006, 19:27
good job
kudos to you

vettacossx
March 11th, 2006, 19:39
Try Tony Hawk Pro Skater Its Almost Working When It Loads Its Lookng Like Mk Trilogy But U Can See It Change To The Title And Try Emulating Some Roms Even Ran Framrates Of 89. Something "creation Leads To An Ideas Success " Mad Monkey Love Gr8 Job Id Be Happy To Test The Rom Library Im Gonna Try Alot Of Them But Check Out Tony Hawk I Dont Care For The Game My Self But I Love That It Is Almost Emulating As A Insomniac I Know What Late Nights Are About So Thanx Monkey Man And Dont Forget To Thank The Women Behind The Monkey For Letting Him Work On This Sweet Leap Of Faith Mad Pros Monkey Man

AtariFreek
March 11th, 2006, 19:54
OH....My....god......WOW GREAT WORK!!!!! Keep it up, and dont let anyone get you down, although maybe you should try sleeping a bit more, :D.
P.S. On 2.6, I Tried Running Perfect Dark, And It Ran For Like 3 Secs, And Showed The Title At About 69 FPS......Then My PSP Crashed And It Wouldnt Work Again.....Keep It Up!

Valiant
March 11th, 2006, 21:03
Hahah you have done what many skeptical members in this forum deemed to be "impossible" hahah beat all of them to pulp! Keep at it

shadowprophet
March 11th, 2006, 21:08
Wil this work on a 2.0 ?

shadowhawk22
March 11th, 2006, 22:01
I wish I could speed up time and get the final product now... I'm so excited to play 64 games on my PSP.

I want to say good work, and please keep bringing us updates. Way to go PS Monkey. Thanks again man.

,Hawk

crazyjohn
March 11th, 2006, 22:03
For now it will

YourStillWithMe
March 11th, 2006, 23:50
Has anyone tried this application on 2.01, 2.50 or 2.60? (I dont have one, nor do i plan on it, im just curious!)

By the way-shadowprophet:Nice to see you on the forums again man.

bugo
March 12th, 2006, 00:54
man! you are my hero.
you really showed some people you really rock... my congrats.

shadowprophet
March 12th, 2006, 10:46
Has anyone tried this application on 2.01, 2.50 or 2.60? (I dont have one, nor do i plan on it, im just curious!)

By the way-shadowprophet:Nice to see you on the forums again man.

Thankies YourStillWithMe:p How have you been ? I havnt seen you in a while either :p