PDA

View Full Version : Next PSP to rely on Memory Stick HG-Micro for storage?

wraggster
May 2nd, 2009, 21:18
You can be sure this won't be the last PSP rumor to surface before E3, but the word going around now is that the so-called PSP Go! (or PSP2, or PSP Slide...) won't rely primarily on some internal memory for storage as previously speculated, but on something like Sony's new Memory Stick HG-Micro format, which is about 40MB/s faster than a standard Memory Stick Duo card. That word apparently comes from some "sources close to PSP development" that have spoken to PC World's Game On blog, who seem to also be suggesting that the Memory Sticks would effectively replace UMDs as a game delivery format, and not simply be used for downloaded games and whatnot. All of which certainly seems reasonable enough, even if it's still far from being anywhere close to official.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/01/next-psp-to-rely-on-memory-stick-hg-micro-for-storage/

apex05
May 2nd, 2009, 22:35
It'd be alright to change umd's for the full pro duo cards, but just imagine how many games get dropped and lost if constantly changing those tiny memory stick micro's.

JLF65
May 3rd, 2009, 02:55
It'd be alright to change umd's for the full pro duo cards, but just imagine how many games get dropped and lost if constantly changing those tiny memory stick micro's.

Sony sees that as a PRO, not a con. If you lose a tiny memstick, it's your own fault and you have to purchase another. ;)

darkriku2000
May 3rd, 2009, 04:53
it the same with gba and ds cartridges isn't it

chuggman
May 3rd, 2009, 05:32
Sony sees that as a PRO, not a con. If you lose a tiny memstick, it's your own fault and you have to purchase another. ;)

It could also go to selling all games online. Using the PSN store as the only source of game purchasing. Then so retail stores don't get mad. Sell all games as downloadable games using a password system. Not my favorite course of action but is decent. If you lose a memory stick your puchase information will still on the PSN Store server and you would just redownload it like you do with all PSN games. Also you could make a backup of your games on your PC too. Though the backup won't necessarily work if you get a new psp. But it could though because sony has made it so you could authourize x number of PS3s adn x number of PSPs.
Though some won't like it because it would force you to have a decent internet connection.
Not my preffered system either since I like having a UMD or Card of some sort. Don't really like how small they are getting either. I remember have Game Boy Carts that I would lug around. They were still easy to lose but not ridiculously easy to lose

wolfpack
May 3rd, 2009, 05:41
Ergh...thats just too small for a memory stick.

I have to use a pen to pop one of those out of my cell phone because its just too tiny for my finger to push out.

Ill stick to my psp phat and normal sized memory stick. Much less of a hassle for when im on the go, and its more visible.

I hate how they came out with with HG-Micro. We may like small and portable, but that size is just too ridiculous for me.

Justise
May 5th, 2009, 09:16
UMDs make lots of noise and have big loading times. It is the main reason many people prefeare to dump their games into their M-sticks via CFW.

It is good to hear that they finaly decided to abandon them.