PDA

View Full Version : Fixing The PSP Yourself ?

wraggster
March 12th, 2006, 21:27
Ok, lets imagine that your UMD drive or TFT screen has broken on your PSP, or for that matter you want to install a new faceplate, do you try to fix yourself or pay someone to do it, looking around the internet theres no really decent tutorials on how to install replacement UMD Drives or to Install new TFT screens, with that in mind its not easy to try it yourself.

Last weekend on my original v1.0 console i installed a killer Silver Faceplate that i brought from DecalGirl and whilst the instructions were basic they did help - although i had to buy some precision screwdrivers to undo the screws.

It was easy apart from the ruddy buttons but while i was getting ready to screw together i did have a look and it looks no easy job to replace the UMD Drive or TFT.

Would you Fix yourself and if you have tell us about it and if there are any decent tutorials.

bullhead
March 12th, 2006, 21:41
did the process of installing your new faceplate involve invalidating the psp warranty and was there much risk of causing damage to the console?

Voltron
March 12th, 2006, 23:31
I'd be too afraid to do either. I would not want my precious PSP disected and violated, ha ha. I'm fine with the Black. Even the Ceramic White PSP's look sharp.

kyle2194
March 13th, 2006, 00:10
did the process of installing your new faceplate involve invalidating the psp warranty and was there much risk of causing damage to the console?
Yes it does void your warranty, but as long as you dont hold your psp upside down with the faceplate off, its pretty safe. I always take my faceplate off to wipe off the dust that gets cought under it.

califrag
March 13th, 2006, 01:46
There's tons of videos out there on how to disassemble the PSP completely. I don't think it would be that difficult to do a complete teardown and rebuild.. the hardest part would be remembering where all those tiny little screws go. but from what I've seen it's basically just three boards, one motherboard, one board for the dpad, and one for the X^O[] buttons, then aside from that it's just a bunch of little clips and screws that hold them all together to backing plates or mounting plates. I've opened mine up and taken apart the analog stick unit completely and put it back together with no problems.

pepsolman
March 13th, 2006, 05:23
I replaced two different faceplates. I have a turtorial I used. I wouldn't mind creating my own turtorial when I get the time. I also have a tft replacement. That one is gonna be hard. I don't have a turtorial for that but if I figure it out I might document the process...

Mobius
March 13th, 2006, 05:25
;) i replaced the screen, faceplate, and d pad mother board on my psp and i had a grand old time doing it. it made me closer with my psp.lol. then again i have extensive experience with small electronics as i used to work repairing cell phones.it does take a couple times of opening it up to remember where everything is and how to put it back together but i makes me feel more secure nowing all the inner workings. but thats just me.i would not recomend the average psp owner cracking open there psp and farting around because the average pp owner wont have the technical aptitude to put it back together without forgetting a screw here or a snap there. i am working on a modchip type device for the psp but i have to wait till they come out with the last firmware version so i can calibrate things and get all the coding done. it will make it so that you can choose witch firmware to run on start up. sort of like the dual boot app by mczonk but for firmware. this would make it possible for you to run all the hombrew and then all the latest games. now not to get hopes up but its still in the development and designing stage and is more or less still just and idea. who knows what it will turn into though. ;)

CoderX
March 13th, 2006, 12:35
;) i replaced the screen, faceplate, and d pad mother board on my psp and i had a grand old time doing it. it made me closer with my psp.lol. then again i have extensive experience with small electronics as i used to work repairing cell phones.it does take a couple times of opening it up to remember where everything is and how to put it back together but i makes me feel more secure nowing all the inner workings. but thats just me.i would not recomend the average psp owner cracking open there psp and farting around because the average pp owner wont have the technical aptitude to put it back together without forgetting a screw here or a snap there. i am working on a modchip type device for the psp but i have to wait till they come out with the last firmware version so i can calibrate things and get all the coding done. it will make it so that you can choose witch firmware to run on start up. sort of like the dual boot app by mczonk but for firmware. this would make it possible for you to run all the hombrew and then all the latest games. now not to get hopes up but its still in the development and designing stage and is more or less still just and idea. who knows what it will turn into though. ;)

Personal your lieing
But your modchip would need roughly 32mb of flash, to hold the second fw.

samidgley
March 13th, 2006, 12:45
I broke dropped my PSP from about a foot of the ground it cracked the screen when I first bought it, it cost me £70 to get it repaired... Very evil :(

SSaxdude
March 13th, 2006, 22:25
Don't worry about voiding the warranty on your PSP. Using any kind of unsigned code on the PSP regardless of your firmware instantly voids the warranty.

Shiaoran
March 13th, 2006, 22:40
I knew a site(I visited it like twice in june...) that they ran tests on the PSP.
They had teared apart than rebuilt the PSP and put images of the interior on the article.
The site was PSPsomething... :P
I totally forgot about it... but it was a site that was always being offline, both site and forum...
I'm registred at the forum, but I can't find it by searching in google by shiaoran+psp(would lead to all sites that have my username and the word psp)...

bullhead
March 13th, 2006, 23:10
I broke dropped my PSP from about a foot of the ground it cracked the screen when I first bought it, it cost me £70 to get it repaired... Very evil Thats disgusting! How very disappointed I am with you for being so careless.

Mobius
March 14th, 2006, 04:58
Personal your lieing
But your modchip would need roughly 32mb of flash, to hold the second fw.

well if you read it all than you would now that it still is just an idea. i'm trying to think outside the box make psp better. than let sony sue the sh*t out of me. anyway the possibilty of hardware modification on the psp is undetermined at the point.and to quote myself "who knows whats posible". oh and thanks for the info on how much memory i would need.

califrag
March 14th, 2006, 10:20
lik-sang has an almost complete teardown. google search "psp disassembly" or click...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=psp+disassembly

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3547

HaMMeReD
March 15th, 2006, 09:53
With my first psp I cracked the screen long ago, actually not me but a douchebag who I worked with at the time.

Long story short, I ordered a screen in from oversea's, I think it cost me about $100 after paying for the money order and the slow ass shipping and everything. The screen went in fine but you have to be ultra delicate, there is a tiny tiny distortion in the screen casing which now causes a small pressure mark at the top of my screen.

The psp is easy to open and work with, I recommend doing so in the cleanest room in your house to prevent dust from getting in to your screen, bathrooms seem to be the best place to prevent dust. Worst thing ever is getting a big ball of dust behind your screen. Get an air can too and be delicate.

If you open your psp, have the following tools

FINE needle nose pliers or tweasers
some phillips style watch screwdrivers.
some small flatheads or some other tool is necessary for removing things like the screen, which are clipped into place.

I'm not gonna post the entire procedure here because it was quite complex, I saw a video but if you consider yourself competitent it's not really to bad. If you choose to do replace a screen, it may be wise to get a screen + backlight in the assembly, because replacing the panel alone is much more complex.

Good luck with any hacking you do and I take no responsibility, but if you have a fuxxored psp, what choice do you have.